Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Thermostat tuning.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
So I added a 180 degree thermostat. Manual labor was fun, had a lot of cool-aid in a zip lock, couple of drips here and there, added it back into the system and checked for leaks. Now my expectations were that as I adjusted the tune the fans would kick into ninja mode as soon as the temp hit 185. I didn't drive with music on so I could detect the fans coming on but the fans remained relatively quiet. Here are the tables I adjusted and the values they hold.

1598110843902.png

For High Speed Vehicle Mode, Low Speed Vehicle Mode and A/C On I set the values for Low Speed ECT to 185. Theory is that you want the thermostat to actually open before cooling, so at 185 a 180 degree thermostat should be open and the pump should be on. The fans then should kick on at 185 and the engine should cool off the fluid. At idle I was expecting the car not to see anything above 185 or damn near it, were my expectations wrong? Additionally I set High Speed ECT and Medium Speed ECT to 194. Since the FANS are PWM is there anything in those control options that I should adjust as well? Should I tell the fans to go full tilt?

I understand I may be asking too much of the system but do things look normal? Attached my log of after the install (had to add as a zip due to file extension restrictions)..

Attachments

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #2
As an aside, with cruise control at 80mph and the car not stressing it barely moves from 185. At idle it does get above 200, sees 212. Guess there are just temperatures that the fans can't overcome while at idle.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Should not get that high with a 185. Several ways to skin the cat on tuning temps.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Tomorrow I'm going to let it idle till 185 in the garage and see if the fans kick on. If not I'm going to deep dive on the issue. Something is not right, either the thermostat is not opening (doesn't seem to be the case as the temp drops eventually) or there are some other parameters I need to look at.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
#182,, Hickstah here. I have been fightning this problem for a month now. Had some warranty work done at the dealership. Gave them a 180 stat I bought new. Did the warranty work but would not install the supplied stat. Not a Dodge product. Had to take the car to original dealership for some tire warranty work, strange contract, had that done and instructed them to install a Dodge 180 stat. Under warranty and would not do it. Bought another from Auto Zone 180 for this car, installed it, placed the overflow back in and added a bit more. Still 203 to213. Used 2 180 stats - 203 to 213. The 1st 180 I installed stayed at 185 for 3 days then back to 213. Thought I was doing something wrong. A damn monkey and 10 minutes and right wrench can do this. Lubby the seal. Worked and quit. So, not you or me. I had 3 vetts and a Z 28 one with a tune, did it myself easy, and the others wit out the tunes. Living in Fl needed the all you can get coolage wize. All Gm products never ever went over 180. This car want do it. Maybe a saftey measure in place but I have discussed this numerous times here and herd that if the tune is not changed then fan speed want work with the 2 fans. You and I have proven that wrong on our 2 cars. The 1 stat worked for 2 days then went back to 203. Dealership said the stat got stuck New one and 2nd new one. Not going doing it again till I install my new tune then I can mess with the controls. Yours looks fine. I will get the same readings and can adjust them different ways. I can use the lap top or use the one they send me,, hand held. What is nice, when you sell the vehicle you can take the new tune out, store it, and put the factory one back in. Good luck and PM me if you figure it out.
Hickster

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
IMO these cars need to run around 200°

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
#182,, Hickstah here. I have been fightning this problem for a month now. Had some warranty work done at the dealership. Gave them a 180 stat I bought new. Did the warranty work but would not install the supplied stat. Not a Dodge product. Had to take the car to original dealership for some tire warranty work, strange contract, had that done and instructed them to install a Dodge 180 stat. Under warranty and would not do it. Bought another from Auto Zone 180 for this car, installed it, placed the overflow back in and added a bit more. Still 203 to213. Used 2 180 stats - 203 to 213. The 1st 180 I installed stayed at 185 for 3 days then back to 213. Thought I was doing something wrong. A damn monkey and 10 minutes and right wrench can do this. Lubby the seal. Worked and quit. So, not you or me. I had 3 vetts and a Z 28 one with a tune, did it myself easy, and the others wit out the tunes. Living in Fl needed the all you can get coolage wize. All Gm products never ever went over 180. This car want do it. Maybe a saftey measure in place but I have discussed this numerous times here and herd that if the tune is not changed then fan speed want work with the 2 fans. You and I have proven that wrong on our 2 cars. The 1 stat worked for 2 days then went back to 203. Dealership said the stat got stuck New one and 2nd new one. Not going doing it again till I install my new tune then I can mess with the controls. Yours looks fine. I will get the same readings and can adjust them different ways. I can use the lap top or use the one they send me,, hand held. What is nice, when you sell the vehicle you can take the new tune out, store it, and put the factory one back in. Good luck and PM me if you figure it out.
Hickster
If I figure it out, why would I PM you? You still haven't returned my weed whacker, stole my case of busch lite and keep pissing on my grass. J/k, I'll let you know today.

opinion noted... the reason I'm running the 180 T-Stat is for the track. Cooler engine means less fuel thrown into the mixture to keep the cylinders cool, therefore a naturally leaner mixture making the engine happier (not a malicious lean but closer to the Power Enrichment number) when you get on it is the theory.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
#182,
But I did bring back your daughter and niece after put put and ice cream. With out a scratch. And nothing but Bud Ice. Have to drink 1/2 as much. Your girls were jewles and can play golf. The weed eater,,, well the neighbor shot it with his Moss Burg. Upset his poo poo dog. Damn retired wrestlers.

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
Do some long wot runs and you’ll see 230 by the end of our runs. I’m about 212-217 at the end of the 1/4 mile now.
I have been thinking of running the 170 reische thermostat. They make the highest quality thermostat available. They are big in the mustang world but not the dodge for some reason.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I've got ab180 in mine and never see ect over 192 at the end of the quarter and its back to 185 by the time I get to the pits.

@fumanchu182 these Hellcats are different than the older cars. Hint, the fans are pwm. Hit up the hptuners forum for some ideas. Like I said more than one way to do it.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
C33DA072-FFDF-4AF8-A47A-E1BE30EC1114.jpeg

I’m definitely going to hit up the forums. Tested to see what happens at idle. Definitely hit overflow...

You would think the fans would turn on high blast in that situation. Log says otherwise... also know the t-stat opened as the hose had pressure and was not fungible when trying to squeeze it.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
I've got ab180 in mine and never see ect over 192 at the end of the quarter and its back to 185 by the time I get to the pits.

@fumanchu182 these Hellcats are different than the older cars. Hint, the fans are pwm. Hit up the hptuners forum for some ideas. Like I said more than one way to do it.
100% correct. I was tuning as if this was still a ScatPack, the changes you make in the High/Low/A/C On modes are for non PWM fans, i.e. 2 spd, 3spd or otherwise fans. You have to modify the PWM Desired ECT values. Went for a spinaroonie with the tables set and I didn't see a temp above 192 with spirited driving. Was a beautiful sight. Should help out a lot at the tracks.

fixed.jpeg

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
1598209030669.png

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
Do some long wot runs and you’ll see 230 by the end of our runs. I’m about 212-217 at the end of the 1/4 mile now.
I have been thinking of running the 170 reische thermostat. They make the highest quality thermostat available. They are big in the mustang world but not the dodge for some reason.
Of course it's going to go up if you're running hard:rolleyes:

Member ID
Reactions
City
Wrightstown
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 R/T
@fumanchu182

Did you only change the Desired ECT table with the two temperature parameters or did you also keep the high/medium/low fan speed settings too?

Thanks!

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
what platform are you tuning?
@fumanchu182

Did you only change the Desired ECT table with the two temperature parameters or did you also keep the high/medium/low fan speed settings too?

Thanks!

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
The stock tstat keeps them always above that number. A 185 in my car with the stock tune and fan settings results in a coolant temp around 200 degrees a lot of the time. I would recommend trying it. I swap every spring and fall. In the winter with the stock 203 tstat in the car runs at 203-205 all the time.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Wrightstown
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 R/T
what platform are you tuning?
2016 Dodge Durango R/T (PWM Linear Fan Type). Same as your SRT.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
2016 Dodge Durango R/T (PWM Linear Fan Type). Same as your SRT.
so you only need to touch the desired ect table