Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Things I should know....but don't....

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Well changing the oil on my HC and Demon today...went to the local dodge dealer...Got 3 cs. penns oil...and 2 filters...the parts guy said they take the same filter..(never knew that...I should pay more attention I guess...)...he brings out 2 Napa Pro Select # 27899 filters says the Mopar filters are B/O till sept....these are the replacement...OK...now..is the info right...or should I be using another filter??

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Who ever thought our Hemi oil filters could be so complicated??? lol. Without going too deep into the details, here are my quick thoughts (you can spend hours researching this topic)

- those NAPA filters should be fine, but I'm not sure the guy you dealt with had the understanding of the 899 and 041 filters

- the BLACK Mopar 899 filter (mfg. in USA by Purolator) is what typically comes on the 6.2 and 6.4 from the factory

- the WHITE SRT 041 filter (mfg. by Wix at their plant in Poland) originally came on certain year Vipers, and is a popular alternative to the 899

I keep tabs a lot lately on the pathetic state of the non-accidental "supply chain" woes especially for auto parts, and I can tell you there are a lot of 899s around, at times not as many as a year ago, but plenty - example: Rock Auto had hundreds in stock last time I checked.

The 041 SRT filters have been very scarce for the last 6 months or so. I found a motherload at one of my local dealers back in February and asked the parts guy what was up - he thinks it's purely a supply problem. Others have speculated Mopar is changing suppliers, but he didn't think so. Interestingly enough, I went to the same dealer again last week to see how many 041s they had left and pick up some more, and through the open doors to the parts backroom, I could see a sign for the parts employees that said "sell aftermarket parts first"...interesting to ponder that directive - maybe that's why your parts guy gave you NAPA filters instead of at least Mopar 899s???

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I think that guy is mistaken and they both take the same filter, and the 041a is the one to use if you have a choice.

OP
1971demon

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
Who ever thought our Hemi oil filters could be so complicated??? lol. Without going too deep into the details, here are my quick thoughts (you can spend hours researching this topic)

- those NAPA filters should be fine, but I'm not sure the guy you dealt with had the understanding of the 899 and 041 filters

- the BLACK Mopar 899 filter (mfg. in USA by Purolator) is what typically comes on the 6.2 and 6.4 from the factory

- the WHITE SRT 041 filter (mfg. by Wix at their plant in Poland) originally came on certain year Vipers, and is a popular alternative to the 899

I keep tabs a lot lately on the pathetic state of the non-accidental "supply chain" woes especially for auto parts, and I can tell you there are a lot of 899s around, at times not as many as a year ago, but plenty - example: Rock Auto had hundreds in stock last time I checked.

The 041 SRT filters have been very scarce for the last 6 months or so. I found a motherload at one of my local dealers back in February and asked the parts guy what was up - he thinks it's purely a supply problem. Others have speculated Mopar is changing suppliers, but he didn't think so. Interestingly enough, I went to the same dealer again last week to see how many 041s they had left and pick up some more, and through the open doors to the parts backroom, I could see a sign for the parts employees that said "sell aftermarket parts first"...interesting to ponder that directive - maybe that's why your parts guy gave you NAPA filters instead of at least Mopar 899s???
Thanks for the input...the parts kid just seemed a little less knowledgeable than he should be... so tmro the oils get changed..then detailed...then seat time...the Vipers got done last wk...the bikes are ready....now...I just gotta worry bout stayin alive,,,all summer

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
yes, the 041 is a more robust filter than the 899

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Thanks for the input...the parts kid just seemed a little less knowledgeable than he should be... so tmro the oils get changed..then detailed...then seat time...the Vipers got done last wk...the bikes are ready....now...I just gotta worry bout stayin alive,,,all summer
If you ever want an ass in the other seat, let me know. I’m out of hibernation for a few months ;)
My mom just died, so probably not this week.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
If you ever want an ass in the other seat, let me know. I’m out of hibernation for a few months ;)
Sorry to hear @Jack_Toepfer . My condolences.

OP
1971demon

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
Geez Jack...so sorry for your loss....hope she led a full and happy life....

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Geez Jack...so sorry for your loss....hope she led a full and happy life....
She was 62… so not very full, but she had a good time while she was here. Thanks guys.

OP
1971demon

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
She was 62… so not very full, but she had a good time while she was here. Thanks guys.
My God...62 is young..prayers go out to you...the boys...and your whole family jack...

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
My condolences, also.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
My condolences.