Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Thinkin' out loud thread...Redeye Build

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Car is paid off very early, I'm having a great year financially and I'm seriously considering say "F the warranty" and squeezing some more power out of the Redeye. The goal would be to be competitive with modded GTs, Vettes, etc in late night secluded rolls.

Started out with my stock '16 Hellcat A8 but I was toast fairly easily if it wasn't stock-vs-stock/lightly modded. Heads/Cam/Headers Z06s, boosted A10 GTs, etc, were out of reach. My Redeye is obviously quicker than the '16, but it's still not much competition in stock form. Not like it was a surprise. I just thought I would be OK running in the "class" I was in, but that didn't last. Trying to figure out the best way to go to at least get in the hunt with the modded boys and then go from there.

I don't have a lot of time outside of work, so I'm thinking this will be a deal where I take it somewhere to have the work done and tuned. Houston-area would be ideal for convenience, but if I do this I really don't care where I have to take the car to make sure it's done correctly. I've never tuned a "modern" FI car. I raced dirt Modifieds (both alky and gas fueled at one time or another) for a loooong time, so I'm not stranger to wrenching. I can tune a 4150 Holley, dial in a distributer curve and read a plug so I know enough about engines to be dangerous...lol. Obviously, those skill sets don't transfer that well to this application so someone that would be patient enough to communicate with a stone-age gearhead like me would be a big plus.

If any of you have any combo ideas, etc that you would like to share, I'd love to hear them. That also goes for supporting mods. The more details you can provide, the more it helps (reasons behind the suggestion, etc)

If you have some recommendations on a shop, post 'em up. The more information I can get to make this decision, the better.

Basics on the car as it sits, if it makes a difference.
2020 RE WB
3.09s
No sunroof
Factory rear seat delete
8-speed auto
Rolling on 20x7 Welds on the front and 17x11 Welds on the back with 315/50/17 ET streets

4.jpeg

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Take it to Cody at Whitehead Motorsports. He's in Tomball next to the Dodge dealership. Pulley, thermostat, catch can, tune. Done. You will be amazed at the performance for such little modding. Drives like stock. Best bang for the buck.

(Edit) forgot to include the ID1050 injectors we addedd as well. Just to be on the safe side and not be at/over 100% duty cycle of the factory injectors.

Last edited:
OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #3
Talk it to Cody at Whitehead Motorsports. He's in Tomball next to the Dodge dealership. Pulley, thermostat, catch can, tune. Done. You will be amazed at the performance for such little modding. Drives like stock. Best bang for the buck.
Decoupling pulley?

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Decoupling pulley?
Yes I bought the Litens 2.85 clutch pulley. Considerably more expensive but worth it IMO.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
To up the boost on a Redeye be prepared To run race fuel full time or go with a flex fuel setup. Mike from OST did my FF tune and Curt Dusterhoff is good with those as well.

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
To up the boost on a Redeye be prepared To run race fuel full time or go with a flex fuel setup. Mike from OST did my FF tune and Curt Dusterhoff is good with those as well.
Speedy, love ur vids and you have a wealth of knowledge to share but there are too many out there running on pump 93 making 18-20lbs with ZERO issues. I'm one of them for the past 16 months with MANY pulls to 180. Other than maybe premature belt wear (as I just found out) if you use the Bando belts Litens recommends with their pulleys. Guess never say never but so far it's been perfectly fine with no hiccups.

We gained 113 whp and 138 ftlbs tq with the 2.85 pulley and conservative tune. Gotta find a damn good tuner with a wealth of knowledge of this platform. I wouldn't go any lower with the pulley on pump unless I did a FF set up as you have. Hard to beat the power gains with e85 or race fuel but I'm not wanting to go down that road. I'm perfectly happy with the performance.

With that said in the heat of the good ole Texas summer, I will add 1/2 bottle of Boostane to a full tank if I plan on doing any fun runs in the heat. It's a great product that has worked for many people and has been tested with many race fuels. A much easier and more economical way to increase octane that has worked extremely well for many. I do not run it all the time of course.

With a set of injectors, 2.85 or larger pulley and conservative tune we don't see a problem running pump 93. Some think otherwise but it's worked for many. I only put Shell 93 as it seems to be the best, most consistent and easily found pump gas here in Texas.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Subscribed

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
@Djason glad you watch the channel. I've learned it's not so much about boost per se' but more so about the aircharge the engine is ingesting and the actual horse power produced that determines the limit of the fuels we have available. If you go back and look at some of the debate on the old forum about which pulleys are safe to run on 93 pump gas you'll see I was a big proponent of the 2.72 Hellraiser on a standard Hellcat 2.4L supercharger On my original motor that was 1600 - 1700mg of aircharge and 17ish psi of boost depending on weather. You know my original motor bit the dust and broke the cyl 7 rod.

With the Demon/Redeye motor that's in it now, with the original 2.4L supercharger and 2.72 Hellraiser pulley my car now sees 1700 - 1800mg of aircharge in warm months and 1900+ in good cool air. I believe it's the cam in the new motor that makes the difference as the supercharger, heads, etc are all the same.

With that said, I would not recommend anything more than 800rwhp on 93 octane fuel. I spent about a year with Mike from OST teaching me to tune my car and what to look for and I can tell you above that on Shell 93, which is what I use, the fuel could not handle much more on my car. You can put a pulley on the car that makes 20psi (2000+ aircharge?) and pull all the timing out of it to bring it down to 800ish rwhp but what you end up with is an unhappy engine. Too little timing is just as bad as too much and gets things heated up rather quickly. At 1900 aircharge I had to reduce timing to the point I would not want to lower it any further and I suspect a 2.85 pulley on a RE 2.7L blower makes more than that. You adding 16oz of Boostane brings your 93 up to about 98-100 octane so you're good to go there.

I'm hearing a 2.85 pulley is the smallest you want to use on a 2.7L supercharger as well. Apparently the critical speed is achieved earlier due to the mass of the rotors. If an owner is OK with moving that risk needle a bit further nothing wrong with that as long as they're prepared should something go south.

I've got some content coming on the flex fuel stuff I've worked on over the past few months. It's VERY neat stuff and you can feel the car get much happier on the good fuel.

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Great info thanks Speedy!

I think something to also consider is what you're using the car for. Strictly drag racing, road courses, roll races or just a fun weekend/daily driver.

If I planned on road racing the RE I honestly don't think I would have gone the route I did. With extreme heat and high IAT's in road racing events, I would probably concentrate on mods to keep the engine and air charge as cools as possible along with tires, wheels and suspension mods. Leaving the engine/ECU completely stock.

Occasional drag racing with more roll racing (with the ability to cool things between runs) is what the main purpose of what my RE mods were for. Other than upgrades to help the strengthen the OEM parts (Diff/DS) for drag racing I don't see a problem making the power we are for 1/8 or 1/4 runs. Roll racing, as we all know, is MUCH easier on parts and why I think many enjoy doing that type of racing as I do.

Being I do more roll races, I've yet to have an issue with all the runs I've made. With that said I DO NOT make rookie mistakes of running the car back to back to back. I always keep an eye on IAT's, engine temps, oil temps, etc. letting the car cool enough to make it "safer" for additional runs. If your plans are to run the car, similar to road racing events, I would not suggest modding as I and many others have with similar hp/tq numbers. It's not modded for that purpose. IMO it's a bad ass muscle car, not a 3000lb sports car. If I want to road race I'll take my modded Z06. Different animals for a different purposes.

Last edited:
OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #10
Does Boostane create any undesired side effects?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I did some testing with Boostane and ran about 4 oz total through the car. It did turn my plugs orange and presumably the O2s and cats as well. No idea if that's necessarily bad though, but I decided to just stick with unleaded race fuel or E85 personally.

OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #12
I did some testing with Boostane and ran about 4 oz total through the car. It did turn my plugs orange and presumably the O2s and cats as well. No idea if that's necessarily bad though, but I decided to just stick with unleaded race fuel or E85 personally.
I'm assuming that if I choose unleaded race fuel for the tuned mode, then I can utilize regular 93 octane to run in the 500hp "black key" mode? Or is that still a thing after a tune?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
You'll want two tunes, one for 93 and another for race gas if you're not going the HO or flex fuel route.

If changing pulleys your tuner will need to rescale the 500hp black key mode in the tune. I've seen some tuners miss this actually and I think it's quite important. The tune uses a multiplier to insure 500hp mode and it's about 50% of whatever max boost is, so on a stock Hellcat that's about 5psi. Put on a pulley making 17 pounds of boost and now it's 8.5 which I'd not want. I had to work mine a bit to get it to scale back down to 5psi on 500hp mode.

OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #14
Good info so far, guys. Thank you very much.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Good info so far, guys. Thank you very much.
I sat with Alex in my friends Demon at HRP in Jan this year. He drove out special to help with his car because we were 1800 miles from home and having issues. Now you will know how much a 1-2 shift hiccup can hurt you. Alex looked at one log and made one change to the car. He lowered the 1-2 shift point 200 rpm. Car went from 10.03 to 9.77.

He does other makes but he DOES tune mopars and knows what he is doing. Not sure if he does the hard mods or not. Might be worth a look. He uses HPTuners.

https://www.facebook.com/peitzperformance/

Last edited:

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Does Boostane create any undesired side effects?
Other than what Speedy mentioned with the orange color we haven't seen any issues. Would I run it in every tank full? No, personally I wouldn't.

Some good info in here.. .https://boostane.com/faqs/

Last edited:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Every time I think out side sumtin,, it cost me $$$unnessarly and I have to speed dial my neighbor,, bail bonds. So, as you can tell I have not been on late night ramp ages. Good. Got a doc appointment and CPA appointment on Tuesday. Want be good. Party maybe over, but the H/C is stinking with me. A readjustment now I am on SS and just refurbished the town home. 3,000 sf for me and the cat. No moe spending, but the car is in great shape,,, found out how to use the wipers yesterday. Interesting concept. Went to pick up fiancee's new SUV yesterday.