Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

TNREDEYE '21 REWB

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I was debating on starting a thread just for this car. At first I didn't think I'd really learn much between the '19 and the '21 but as I'm working on it I'm learning a few things myself that may be worth passing on.

I'm going to follow Ron's model by reserving the first several posts for future pics and such.. but I doubt I'll be adding as much info as Ron has. IMG_20210130_130946327.jpg

And this pic just because I think it's cool. :)
IMG_20210130_131746274.jpg

To hit a few things I've already done to the car. I've installed the ZL1Addons mud flaps front and rear. They come with two different size clips and one screw per flap. I chose to use two screws on the red car and I did the same with this one. For regular street use I'd think the clips and one(bottom mounted) screw would be ok. Both of these cars will see dragstrips speeds of over 130 mph somewhat often so the 2nd screw made sense to me.
IMG_20210205_151501379.jpg

I also went ahead and replaced the brake pads with the Power Stop low dust units. I don't see any real difference between the two functionally, I just won't have to spend near as much time cleaning the wheels and brakes. The car had 31 miles on it when I replaced them, I was surprised at how much brake dust there was in the caliper after that little amount of use.
IMG_20210130_102503502.jpg

Last edited:
OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #2
I've also already installed the P4D diff brace. I went ahead and got both the front and rear braces. I'm still not sure I see any real world benefit to the front unit but it's pretty light and it can't hurt to have it there.
As is typical, the rear unit is a really simple install.
IMG_20210205_150323058.jpg

The front is only held on by the two front diff bolts but I had to remove the pass side active exhaust servo to get to the pass side diff bolt. Not that big of a thing really, it just takes a minute to understand what you're looking at so you can remove and reinstall it correctly.
IMG_20210205_150331234.jpg

Last edited:
OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #3
This afternoon I ran into my first real problem with the '21. Our local track will be open for t-n-t this Sunday(weather permitting) so I was planning to mount my street big and littles on it to drive it to the track and make a few passes. I took the right front wheel off and bolted the 18x5 Forgestar on. I put on two lugs and went to roll the wheel just to be sure it wasn't hitting anything. It wouldn't budge. Turns out the inner part of the wheel comes in contact with the slightly larger '21 front brakes.

I'll be pulling the Billet Specialties off of the '19 tomorrow to see if it will fit. If it doesn't fit I'm not sure what I'll do next.

2/6/21 - UPDATE: Nothing fits.
I have both the Forgestar as well as the Billet Specialties in 18x5. Neither works with the stock '21 brakes. I also have some 3mm spacers. Spacing either wheel out by either 3mm or 6mm changes nothing. They just flat attack the brakes regardless.
I'll be looking at my options in the coming days. First thought is to look for a wheel that will work. I already went through that w the '19 though so I doubt I'll be able to find anything that'll fit a lightweight tire and clear these brakes. Next option may be to install basically the Demon brakes. That's probably my simplest route, plus it knocks some weight off a really good spot as well.

Here's a few pics just for illustration's sake..

The chips are where the Forgestar hits:
IMG_20210206_110511745.jpg

The Billet Specialty is a better fit but still hits enough not to work. The entire barrel of this wheel is what touches. In the one pic you can see a witness mark where I turned the wheel a bit to make a slight mark on the wheel. That's with the lug nuts loose and just holding the wheel to the hub by hand. With the lug nuts snugged it won't turn at all. Spacers do nothing to change this.
IMG_20210206_150550136.jpg IMG_20210206_150556111.jpg

2/7/21 UPDATE:
Here's what I know so far:

1 - The rotors as well as the hats are completely different parts that just happen to look a lot alike. The hat is ~1/2" bigger dia on the '21 as well as the rotor.
'19 and '21 rotor comparison.jpg

2 - The calipers measure similarly in a lot of places but carry two different part #'s.
I'm not 100% sure they are different in any functional way though. Further measuring and just general digging is required on this part.

'19 caliper pn
'19 RE front caliper.jpg

'21 caliper pn
'21 RE front caliper.jpg

3 - The spindle/caliper mount(the cast thing that the ball joints and tie rod ends attach to) carries a different part number. This one worries me the most. If it's different then I'm looking at having to replace those as well as install smaller brakes to get the 18" wheels on this car.

'19 spindle mount pn
'19 RE front spindle mount.jpg

'21 spindle mount pn
'21 RE front spindle mount.jpg

I'll do more measuring to see if I can possibly just change out rotors/hats and the spindle/caliper mounts and keep the stock calipers.

Last edited:
OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #4
Reserved

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #5
Reserved

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #6
Reserved

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #7
Reserved

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #8
Reserved

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #9
Reserved

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #10
Reserved

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
This afternoon I ran into my first real problem with the '21. Our local track will be open for t-n-t this Sunday(weather permitting) so I was planning to mount my street big and littles on it to drive it to the track and make a few passes. I took the right front wheel off and bolted the 18x5 Forgestar on. I put on two lugs and went to roll the wheel just to be sure it wasn't hitting anything. It wouldn't budge. Turns out the inner part of the wheel comes in contact with the slightly larger '21 front brakes.

I'll be pulling the Billet Specialties off of the '19 tomorrow to see if it will fit. If it doesn't fit I'm not sure what I'll do next.
I was afraid of this. Please try the Win Lite and let us know. I would try a 5mm spacer and see if that does it. Spacer info for both wheels would be very helpful. I don't even use them but I have a couple spacers here just for times like this......

This is a Red Alert for Hellcat Drag Racers!

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #12
I was afraid of this. Please try the Win Lite and let us know. I would try a 5mm spacer and see if that does it. Spacer info for both wheels would be very helpful. I don't even use them but I have a couple spacers here just for times like this......

This is a Red Alert for Hellcat Drag Racers!
That's also on tomorrows agenda. I have a set of spacers that I think are 5mm. I'll drag them out tomorrow to see if they'll allow the Forgestars to work. I think I'll be needing to install longer wheel studs if I end up using the spacers with the Forgestars though. I'll measure it tomorrow, if the spacers work.

I knew there was a difference but when both cars called for the same brake pad I sort of dismissed it. Am I correct in assuming that the difference is between '20 and '21 since your '20 RE worked with your Forgestars?

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
That's also on tomorrows agenda. I have a set of spacers that I think are 5mm. I'll drag them out tomorrow to see if they'll allow the Forgestars to work. I think I'll be needing to install longer wheel studs if I end up using the spacers with the Forgestars though. I'll measure it tomorrow, if the spacers work.

I knew there was a difference but when both cars called for the same brake pad I sort of dismissed it. Am I correct in assuming that the difference is between '20 and '21 since your '20 RE worked with your Forgestars?
Yes the 21's are the first year that got the larger brakes in front. At this point I do not think any of the Skinnies will bolt right on any more.

If the contact is here then I think the Win Lites might work (without my balance weights). Because .3" in diameter is only .150 in radius. I am guessing on the .3".

. Untitled attachment 00958.jpg

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #14
Yes the 21's are the first year that got the larger brakes in front. At this point I do not think any of the Skinnies will bolt right on any more.

If the contact is here then I think the Win Lites might work (without my balance weights). Because .3" in diameter is only .150 in radius. I am guessing on the .3".

. View attachment 37089
The two high spots just out past the outer pad pins is where mine hit. At least that's where it knocked the paint off of the caliper. After working today I really wasn't in the mood to do much investigating this evening. I'll look into it good tomorrow and know more after that.

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Your not putting the 500 miles on prior to racing?

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #16
I had not planned to. The weather forecast has changed a lot in the last 2 days. It doesn't look like we'll be going to Music City tomorrow as hoped. So maybe I'll get some more miles on it before we do get the chance to run it.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
My first pass was at 298 miles. I bought my car to race. The 298 miles were all city and over many drive cycles with the car cooling down to ambient in between. This breaks in the Diff, lets the trans learn and does the initial seating of the brake pads. Engines are broken in at the factory. The Manual recommends more but you can get by without it.

Last edited:
OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #18
Wheel/Brakes:

UPDATE: Nothing fits.
I have both the Forgestar as well as the Billet Specialties in 18x5. Neither works with the stock '21 brakes. I also have some 3mm spacers. Spacing either wheel out by either 3mm or 6mm changes nothing. They just flat attack the brakes regardless.
I'll be looking at my options in the coming days. First thought is to look for a wheel that will work. I already went through that w the '19 though so I doubt I'll be able to find anything that'll fit a lightweight tire and clear these brakes. Next option may be to install basically the Demon brakes. That's probably my simplest route, plus it knocks some weight off a really good spot as well.

I put pics and some more info in thread #3.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
So right about now a few of us who helped sway you towards the RE and not the SS are feeling a little guilty...

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #20
So right about now a few of us who helped sway you towards the RE and not the SS are feeling a little guilty...
As you should. LOL
It was reasonable to expect that there'd be a hiccup somewhere along the way. Although I'll admit that I didn't expect this particular hiccup. It looks like there are several front brake options that will work well for me, I just need to do my homework and decide which way I want to go.