Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ultra Performance All Seasons VS Max Performance Summer

Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Redeye Charger
I've googled this several times but I must not be using the correct key words. I'd like to know the difference in traction of a DWS06 vs ExtremeContact Sport or Pilot Sport All Season 4 VS Pilot Sport 4S. Is dry traction 20% better with summer tires? 10%? I see the all seasons have a treadwear of around 540 and the summer tires around 300. Trying to decide if having 2 sets of tires is worth it to me. I know max dry traction is on drag radials but I drive this car too often to run DR's

EDIT: car doesn't see any snow, just some colder temps and occasionally get caught in the rain

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
IF no snow and not driving through winter, Id get summers. Ive never had an AS tire that had better traction than its 3 season counterpart. Summer tires will always grip better but you likely wont find a tire that doesnt spin at all. Summers are only good down to about 40-ish deg. Be careful then because the rubber gets hard and slippery.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I would just run a max performance summer tire and yes the Michelins are great!

OP
ThaBeast
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Redeye Charger
Thread Starter #4
IF no snow and not driving through winter, Id get summers. Ive never had an AS tire that had better traction than its 3 season counterpart. Summer tires will always grip better but you likely wont find a tire that doesnt spin at all. Summers are only good down to about 40-ish deg. Be careful then because the rubber gets hard and slippery.
I realize the all season have less dry traction, the question is, how much less? I had multiple sets of tires & wheels for my gt500, fully aware of the 40 degree threshold on summer compound tires.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I live in the desert sw, but we definitely get freezing in winter. Since I daily drive the HC in the winter on dry days, one set of summer tires is out for me. So I have the stock A/Ss for winter. I bought a set Cont ECSs...stock width up front but went to wider HR5s for wheels with 305s on the rear. Quantifying the difference is difficult. But my wifes Charger HC on stock A/Ss spin at will summer or winter. Back to back...hers on A/Ss vs my Challenger HC on summers is huge using the butt meter. I don't have objective numbers to share, but my impression is the difference is huge and worth it!

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
I bought a set of Continental DWS06 tires for my Boss 302 last year when I got it. They are great on the street. I think I'm going to try and catch an open lapping day sometime this month and will probably just keep them on the car since I haven't really been to the track/autocross this year in the COVID world so don't want to buy another set of wheels/tires this close to the end of the year. I'll post how they do after the track day. I don't think they'll be great, but it should still be fun.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I realize the all season have less dry traction, the question is, how much less? I had multiple sets of tires & wheels for my gt500, fully aware of the 40 degree threshold on summer compound tires.
I agree with @JRabq that the difference in traction is significant going from an all season tire to a dedicated summer tire. I live in ABQ too and it drops below freezing a lot in the morning during the cold season, but I've driven with summer tires and drag radials through our winter and I really don't think they are that bad. Definitely not unsafe. It is dry here almost all the time though which makes a big difference. All season tires suck in the winter too for these cars IMO, but if you have to drive through a lot of weather you may have to run with them. If your Hellcat is only basically on dry roads I would not even consider all season. My 2 cents...