Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Well boys, not a good weekend in racing....

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
This weekend was not the weekend for winning "a" race. I need to hire a crew chief to help keep up with the car and all. :confused:

This is how this weekend went.....

Friday night TNT: Dave (hellno) and I were at Steele, Alabama....that night, just huge cars with tons of power. Large and small block NOS cars, pushing around 3 to 5k power. Just TNT all night.

Saturday was race day. I took two passes..car was running good. Did not take the car back to the pits, keep it in the staging lanes and thought it was good on fuel, NOS and ice.
Then I went to the driver's meeting.

Then went back to the car in the staging lanes. Let's check the car:
  1. Tested the NOS, just air...need NOS
  2. Looked down at ICU temp, 117 degrees...need ice
  3. Fuel under 1/2 tank...need fuel
Oh sh$t, raced back to the pits.
I changed out NOS bottle, topped off the gas and ran the icebox twice and cooled car down to 35 degrees and then heard over the loud speaker. Colby come to the staging lanes, this is your last call. Oh sh$t.

Raced back to the staging lanes.

Got to the water box, did a good burnout, starting backing up, armed the NOS, and pressed the purge button. Guess what?!?!?!
I did not plug the power leads to the bottle nor did I open up the bottle....NO NOS. MOTHER @##%#$%#@$^$%^$%^@#^%@#$%$#%!!

Now I am thinking, can I take this guy with no NOS.

Single stage, double stage...still thinking...can I take this guy, he is not that fast....GREEN LIGHT....298 RT.
Now down by 3/4 car length and my car is not gaining speed....I am now losing....

And lost in the first round and arguably, I had the best car to win the $2k.

After all that....I now know why we have Crew Chiefs and several people in the pits to help maintain the car. Just a good learning weekend. Painful, but informative!

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
This weekend was not the weekend for winning "a" race. I need to hire a crew chief to help keep up with the car and all. :confused:

Friday night TNT: Dave (hellno) and I were at Steele, Alabama....that night, just huge cars with tons of power. Large and small block NOS cars, pushing around 3 to 5k power. Just TNT all night.

Saturday was race day. I took two passes..car was running good. Did not take the car back to the pits, keep it in the staging lanes and thought it was good on fuel, NOS and ice.

I changed out NOS bottle, topped off the gas and ran the icebox twice and cooled car down to 35 degrees and then heard over the loud speaker. Colby come to the staging lanes, this is your last call. Oh sh$t.

Got to the water box, did a good burnout, starting backing up, armed the NOS, and pressed the purge button. Guess what?!?!?!
I did not plug the power leads to the bottle nor did I open up the bottle....NO NOS. MOTHER @##%#$%#@$^$%^$%^@#^%@#$%$#%!!

Single stage, double stage...still thinking...can I take this guy, he is not that fast....GREEN LIGHT....298 RT.
Now down by 3/4 car length and my car is not gaining speed....I am now losing....

After all that....I now know why we have Crew Chiefs and several people in the pits to help maintain the car. Just a good learning weekend. Painful, but informative!
There is a lot to keep on top of when trying to be competitive. It's definitely helpful to have a few friends to help out .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Member ID
Reactions
City
Los Angeles
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge Challenger Widebody Redeye

Don't be too hard on yourself, you gave it a shot, and as you realized one man cannot do all of it, and keep a check list of everything every time you're heading to the lanes.
Next time will be better, as you already know what your mistakes were, you'll be better prepared, and have a few friends helping out with a list of things that need to be done before you head to the lane.
It must be frustrating to have lost to someone you would have beaten, but at least you gave it a shot, and hopefully had some fun.

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
The key is to have a routine and stick to it. We don't have pro mods . Most of us are racing a modified stock car. I think you fit this category as well. I go racing with others all the time. Other than some tuning help I take care of everything on the car myself.

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #5
Don't be too hard on yourself, you gave it a shot, and as you realized one man cannot do all of it, and keep a check list of everything every time you're heading to the lanes.
Next time will be better, as you already know what your mistakes were, you'll be better prepared, and have a few friends helping out with a list of things that need to be done before you head to the lane.
It must be frustrating to have lost to someone you would have beaten, but at least you gave it a shot, and hopefully had some fun.
Know what you mean. This is mine and Dave's 25th weekend racing this year and my 12th racing event this year.

Got over confidante and thought the $2k was in the bag. <shakes head!>

But we will be in Houston for the Hemi Shootout and hope to see everyone there racing!!

But that is like a month away and hope to get to race in a couple more events before Houston.

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #6
The key is to have a routine and stick to it. We don't have pro mods . Most of us are racing a modified stock car. I think you fit this category as well. I go racing with others all the time. Other than some tuning help I take care of everything on the car myself.
Yeah, I just got NOS and a huge icebox installed and both of those routines are not etched into the memory, if you know what I mean.

But I will race this weekend at an event and let's see if I can bring home the bacon! :)

This year alone, we have won 2 first place, 1 second place and 1 third place. Maybe this weekend, we can get another 1st place <fingers crossed>

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
It was just the pressure. You got snagged up on a few issues at once and were under pressure to get to the lanes. You forget things in those situations, any type of those Oh shi$ situations even in life. Next time make the check list (or like @Hellion said a routine). Once your out of 'Oh SHi$' mode your fine. The key to victory is preparation. Someone said that years and years ago, if I was well read I could tell you who. :LOL:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
You will get use to it after a few rounds .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

Great time! Sorry you lost man, seriously. But that's part of it. can't win every time. Hope Hellno did well! Wish I'd been there with you guys.

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #10
Great time! Sorry you lost man, seriously. But that's part of it. can't win every time. Hope Hellno did well! Wish I'd been there with you guys.
Are you going to Houston next month for the Hemi Shootout?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I can't, but I think some of my way younger friends are going to be down there (though one of them broke his car the weekend before this - broke the shock mounts launching on the street, a pretty neat feat I say) but I'll be with you guys in spirit.

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple Hellcat (Sold) 22 GMC 2500HD Denali
Being a one man team isn't easy! Hats off to you for giving it a go in a $ race.

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #13
Being a one man team isn't easy! Hats off to you for giving it a go in a $ race.
Yeah it is and the take away for everyone's suggestions....

Create a dang list and post it on my dash and make sure to double check myself. And no standing around listening to long drawn out BS driver's meetings. LOL!!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Anytime you make it home in one piece without a broken car, it's a good race weekend IMO

:cool:

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Yeah it is and the take away for everyone's suggestions....

Create a dang list and post it on my dash and make sure to double check myself. And no standing around listening to long drawn out BS driver's meetings. LOL!!
Sorry to hear you had troubles bud. You will get on top of it. Are you not going to Streetcar Takeover at Atlanta Dragway this month?

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #16
Anytime you make it home in one piece without a broken car, it's a good race weekend IMO

:cool:
Thanks Speedy!

We do not say that word or even think it. LOL!

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #17
Sorry to hear you had troubles bud. You will get on top of it. Are you not going to Streetcar Takeover at Atlanta Dragway this month?
And in the great quote from Friday..."And you know this man!!"

Would not miss that race. Dave (hellno) might there as well.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
And in the great quote from Friday..."And you know this man!!"

Would not miss that race. Dave (hellno) might there as well.
Hope to see you there.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
If no one is around to help, get a list of everything you need to do before a run and put it somewhere you will see it.

Did this when i went to races solo. It really helps to be able to look at a list and go check, check, check etc.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat

I can say I've been there Done that!.........Not Fun! It's hard at times not having my husband at the track. I get Help but sometimes it just doesn't work out time wise.
I also can make 1 more run on Q16 once at a little below the 1/2 way. E85 I know flies through I just don't know if there is 1 extra time or not so I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Dragracing is a sport and if you go over and over in your mind what you are going to do, it will become easier. Your mind will remember even if you aren't actually physically doing it.
I learned to do especially when I went for my Super Comp License. I went to a school. I had to show I knew where all the controls were in a Supergas firebird with the car with my eyes shut, and if I didn't make my final passes in the low 9's I would not have passed. I had a 9.2 ( John was proud of me. It was the fastest pass of the day and I was the only female that passed.
I continue to do this because I was always testing parts and now and then I still do.

Colby if you can't get a Pitt crew just try lining all your stuff up in an order so you can fly and Win!

Sorry you lost $2K is a nice payout!
Linda :)