Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Well I Did It - Powder Coated D5's

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I powder coated the D5's Satin Black. I've been thinking about it for a while & I finally did it. Since I race with my factory front wheels (Satin Black) & tires now, I wanted to at least have the D5's rears for the track look close to matching in color so whether I'm on the street set up or race set up it looks the same. Their close but the stock fronts have a little more gloss to them. Had new set of 315's put on also. I talked to the guy who did them & he said the next time I need tires, he'll redo them with a little more gloss to match even a little better. But not a big deal, at 140 mph you'll never notice. :LOL:

Attachments

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
(y)

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I powder coated the D5's Satin Black. I've been thinking about it for a while & I finally did it. Since I race with my factory front wheels (Satin Black) & tires now, I wanted to at least have the D5's rears for the track look close to matching in color so whether I'm on the street set up or race set up it looks the same. Their close but the stock fronts have a little more gloss to them. Had new set of 315's put on also. I talked to the guy who did them & he said the next time I need tires, he'll redo them with a little more gloss to match even a little better. But not a big deal, at 140 mph you'll never notice. :LOL:
Looks good from here.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
why not skinnies on the front that match?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
#thicccccccc

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
QUOTE="vortecd, post: 198789, member: 1248"]why not skinnies on the front that match?[/QUOTE]

I use to have the Race Star drag pack set up with skinnies, sold them & went with Forge Star & didn't want to mess with swapping the fronts anymore since the skinnies are only worth 1/2 (.5) tenth, so not worth the hassle. So now I just have to change the rear wheels & back to stock.
I also drive to & from the track, 1 + hours away & through downtown Houston traffic, so a little safer on stock tires if I have to stop fast.

My PB is with the stock fronts, 9.77
When I had skinnies on front my PB was 9.83
Go figure.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
QUOTE="vortecd, post: 198789, member: 1248"]why not skinnies on the front that match?
I use to have the Race Star drag pack set up with skinnies, sold them & went with Forge Star & didn't want to mess with swapping the fronts anymore since the skinnies are only worth 1/2 (.5) tenth, so not worth the hassle. So now I just have to change the rear wheels & back to stock.
I also drive to & from the track, 1 + hours away & through downtown Houston traffic, so a little safer on stock tires if I have to stop fast.

Go figure.[/QUOTE]

They are small enough to throw in the trunk and bring a jack and change them at the track. I did not like changing out the race star wheels for the short time I had them. The forgestar wheels I have now don't have any of those goofy lug washers. I'm close enough that I can change them out at the house and drive to the track. When I raced in Indy last year, I did bring the fronts and a jack. I have an aluminum 2 ton jack that is pretty light

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8

Go figure.
They are small enough to throw in the trunk and bring a jack and change them at the track. I did not like changing out the race star wheels for the short time I had them. The forgestar wheels I have now don't have any of those goofy lug washers. I'm close enough that I can change them out at the house and drive to the track. When I raced in Indy last year, I did bring the fronts and a jack. I have an aluminum 2 ton jack that is pretty light[/QUOTE]

Yeah I could do the swap at the track but I like to just air down, race, air up & drive home. Simplicity is best for me & the work & expense not worth 1/2 tenth to me.
Then just swap the rears for the street.
I'm personally more impressed with cars that have done the least or closest to stock parts & get the most from that set up, vs. a car that has everything done, it should be fast. Not that I don't enjoy seeing somebody go all out too.
I am done with mine, as far as boost goes, just want to stay on 93. Simplicity again. :LOL: