Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

When to know to get out? I.e. sell.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
I’ve been not having a fun time with the car as of late and was thinking of selling. I was on this unholy quest to be a 9s car. Watched many cars here do it with ease, but yet I have to struggle bus through it. When is enough? I think after realizing that with the amount of time, energy and money thrown at the car and for it to still not be in the 9s its time to get out.

For those that sold what was the breaking point? Im pretty sure I’m at my limit. Thinking 45k stock and 60k with mods. Verified 10.0x index car 🤣

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kearney
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Chevrolet Silverado
Back in the day I watched many friends go through this with the Buick Grand National. If your just frustrated and don't need to sell from a monetary stand point don't do it, trust me.

Ask me how I know! LOL

Last edited:

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
I think you'll have a much easier time converting it back to mostly stock and trying to sell it versus selling a highly modified race car. It's a pain selling parts separately but you would be money ahead.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I come from a vette and Chevy high performance back ground. Gentlemen across the street wet thru the grand national head aches, but he caused his own problems. He knows that now. But I did the same thing with the vettes of modifying of too more high performance. I have a game plan with this H/C of $$, time, and what happens with the extended warranty I purchased. Out of house and the dealrship has to look this up separtely. I don't say anything till I am ready to check out. But, I understood the car cost me $67,000 and I put in over $30,000 and maybe done may not. I do understand the out of pocket costs for all high performance and what is primary and secondary. All has been done that the warranty will with stand with 2 more years to go and I am glad I purchased the extended one. I knew as young as this engine is, all the factories extras I bought, and what I plan on doing, the warranty was a great choice. Every time to the dealership sumtin is wrong. All ways. I went into this purchased with all knowledge knowing 90% of what was needed even though the dealership dosen't know and the owner's manual dosen't tell. Ask Dodge has helped alot and Suncoast Dodge Jeep has done the rest to the end of my home work. 3 years into a 5 year warranty with 13,000 miles on the car is right were it needs to be. Sorry to hear about your troubles and the headaches. Maybe a bit more home work next time maybe due. I am not making a H/C into a Demon. I know better.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
When its not fun anymore, or you're never using it, feel free to get rid of it. Scenario two: just want to free up funds for something else, that's a personal call. I have a habit of wanting to hold on to nearly any cool car forever, long past when I should have probably said its a great car, let someone else have a chance to appreciate it too. In either of these situations, don't make the decision (either way) on the spur of the moment.

Good luck man.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
No one wants a modded car, so unless you're willing to give away the mods, put it back to stock if you sell it.

As for 9s, they are pretty easy in a Hellcat to be honest. You just have to dial it in and sometimes less is more. At your power level it will take good weather I think, but you may get a 9.9X out of it if you drive it well in not so great weather. Beyond that, every +1000 feet of DA costs about 1/10 in ET and a MPH or two. So in +3000 DA if you run a 10.2X that's a 9.9X in 0 DA.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yes,,, easily for got ten. Lack of fun, time to get rid and let some one else have fun. I got rid of 2 vettes, 1- 12,000 1- with 16,000 miles a F250, 8 foot bed extended cab, Z28 with 30,000 miles all for the reasons above. $$, lack of love, and let some one else have fun with em. I have had this H/C for 3 years and still learning.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
My Hellcat is the first car/truck I've owned that when I walk in the garage I DON'T ask myself " Why in the hell did you do all this shit? " and then sell it.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Wait...

Did you buy a HC to drag race, or do you drag race because you own a HC?

Huge difference.

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Wait...

Huge difference.
Oddly enough, a LOT of people don’t know if they bought the car for drag racing or if they drag race because of the car. Most people don’t buy a factory built race car with this sort of thing in mind.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
But answering the original question kind of requires understanding which is true.

One answer is "never"

One answer is when monetary aspects are maximized.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I’ve been not having a fun time with the car as of late and was thinking of selling. I was on this unholy quest to be a 9s car. Watched many cars here do it with ease, but yet I have to struggle bus through it. When is enough? I think after realizing that with the amount of time, energy and money thrown at the car and for it to still not be in the 9s its time to get out.

For those that sold what was the breaking point? Im pretty sure I’m at my limit. Thinking 45k stock and 60k with mods. Verified 10.0x index car 🤣
curious as to what has been done to your car :unsure:

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Maybe I’m too much of a Boy Scout, but I couldn’t mod a car, race it, and put it back to stock without telling the buyer. No condemnation of folks that do otherwise, just a personal thing for me.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Read the question front to back and then back to front. Big difference. With out a game plan never purchase a stock car to build a race car. You will be frustrated to the point of selling it. I, myself, and I may go in a different direction due to the lack of garage space and $$ eligable for car payments. The H/C, in my book, is a track car availiabilities that can be driven on the streets. Dodge did it and hats off to em. I have tried and with deer feat written all over my face. Cannot due it any better, cheaper, and or faster than the factory can. They have $$$ millions of dea naroes in fested in this and we may have, like me, a $110,000 into it. Salary of a junior engineer in Detroit. I have modified the vetts and Z28 and gave the new owners the old and new programs, thermostats, and throttle bodies I replaced. I did all my own tuning and mods. Learned alot, screwed up alot, and spent alot of $$ I did not need to but part of the learning curve. Hands on fer learning and cost $$$.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
What is your complete list of mods ? Who tuned it? What fuel are you running ?

I struggled at the beginning too . I will say one of the biggest factors to drop times was the suspension.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16
No one wants a modded car, so unless you're willing to give away the mods, put it back to stock if you sell it.

As for 9s, they are pretty easy in a Hellcat to be honest. You just have to dial it in and sometimes less is more. At your power level it will take good weather I think, but you may get a 9.9X out of it if you drive it well in not so great weather. Beyond that, every +1000 feet of DA costs about 1/10 in ET and a MPH or two. So in +3000 DA if you run a 10.2X that's a 9.9X in 0 DA.
Anecodotally, car with 2.85 went 10.0. No beadlock, no nothing. Just 2.85, 104, 305 on race stars and was a Charger Hellcat. I know him personally and I know his shop HHP.

My Hellcat is the first car/truck I've owned that when I walk in the garage I DON'T ask myself " Why in the hell did you do all this shit? " and then sell it.
Right now it is in my garage and it just sits there, I don't even like driving it because on the road it's not fun, one blip of the throttle and it's like well now I'm going over the speed limit.

Wait...

Huge difference.
I'm still answering this. If I sell it I am going to build full drag car, car is too nice to turn into a race monster which is why maybe I feel this way. I'll drink and meditate.

curious as to what has been done to your car :unsure:
What is your complete list of mods ? Who tuned it? What fuel are you running ?

I struggled at the beginning too . I will say one of the biggest factors to drop times was the suspension.

Tuner is well known, won't name them on the forums as it can strain the relationship more and I'd not like them to grenade the motor in the next revision to teach me a lesson on my way out. Mod list:
2.72 Hellraiser Clutched Pulley
ID 1050x injectors.
FI Interchiller spacers and blanket.
Pinned Crank
180* T-Stat
x2 JLT Catch Can
JLT Intake
Fore dual fuel pump setup (OST kit)
HHP Racing Springs (front and rear)
Mickey Thomspons Sportsman S/R Radial on Dragstar 18x5'
Mickey Thomspons ET Street R 315/50r17 on D5 Forgestars
DSS Drive Shaft
DSS Drive Shaft Hoop
P4D DIRS Diff brace
No driver side seat
No rear seat bottom
104 tune from tuner
No resonator or muffler, still using stock downpipes

Last edited:

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
I always like to ask, if you sell, then what’s next? Grass is always greener, but perhaps some here have experiences with what you’d be eyeing next.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Anecodotally, car with 2.85 went 10.0. No beadlock, no nothing. Just 2.85, 104, 305 on race stars and was a Charger Hellcat. I know him personally and I know his shop HHP.

Right now it is in my garage and it just sits there, I don't even like driving it because on the road it's not fun, one blip of the throttle and it's like well now I'm going over the speed limit.

I'm still answering this. If I sell it I am going to build full drag car, car is too nice to turn into a race monster which is why maybe I feel this way. I'll drink and meditate.

Tuner is well known, won't name them on the forums as it can strain the relationship more and I'd not like them to grenade the motor in the next revision to teach me a lesson on my way out. Mod list:
ID 1050x injectors.
FI Interchiller spacers and blanket.
Pinned Crank
180* T-Stat
x2 JLT Catch Can
JLT Intake
Fore dual fuel pump setup (OST kit)
HHP Racing Springs (front and rear)
Mickey Thomspons Sportsman S/R Radial on Dragstar 18x5'
Mickey Thomspons ET Street R 315/50r17 on D5 Forgestars
DSS Drive Shaft
DSS Drive Shaft Hoop
P4D DIRS Diff brace
No driver side seat
No rear seat bottom
104 tune from tuner
No resonator or muffler, still using stock downpipes
I will give my honest opinion. That's a modest list and 10.0's is a good "average " number for the car . You will need a good fall air day to break the 9.9's . I think you are doing good for stock upper/lower pulleys .

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I will give my honest opinion. That's a modest list and 10.0's is a good "average " number for the car . You will need a good fall air day to break the 9.9's . I think you are doing good for stock upper/lower pulleys .

totally agree, that car does well.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20

totally agree, that car does well.
100% apologize, 2.72 hellraiser, running 17lbs of boost. Once again apologize.