Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Why do we think the prices of EV’s are plunging?

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Simple answer: Gvt gives them out for free! Like cell phones and student "loans"! :ROFLMAO:
I wouldn’t put it past ol’ Sleepy Joe. Anything to buy a vote.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Erie
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat
Don't know if it's true, but got this email today. EVs for the win!

"From an anonymous State Trooper

I’m not a fan of all electric vehicles. Too many variables affecting battery consumption. Definitely not suited for cold climates. The following experience just cements my distaste for EV’s, especially Teslas.

I got sent to a motorist assist the other day, at the start of our snowstorm. Tesla on the side of the interstate, dead battery. So, I arrive on scene and the occupants have the right-front door open. They tell me that they can’t open any other doors, because the battery is dead. Sure enough. Can’t open the doors from inside or outside. The driver also can’t get her license out of the glove box where she put it during their trip because the glovebox opens electronically… and the battery is dead. You actually have to use the computer in the center of the dash to open the glovebox.

They said they had 10% battery left, which should’ve been plenty to get from that location to the charging station nearby. Then all of a sudden the whole car shut off and they coasted to the shoulder.

So now I have to find them a tow. No one wants to tow EVs. Finally found one company to do it. The 8-mile trip to the charging station in Tomah cost $1,000! Normal vehicle on the flatbed would’ve been $150.

So now we’re at the Tesla superchargers. Guess what. Can’t open the charging port because the battery is dead!!! The ports open, you guessed it, electronically!!! And we also can’t open the doors now (had to close the one open door when it was loaded onto the wrecker). The owner’s manual is in the on-board computer, but the battery is dead.

I got the occupants to a store where they’d be warm while calling the rental company to figure out how to charge this POS, so I’m not sure of the outcome. I had to leave for a crash report.

I’ll stick with my dinosaur burner.
Tesla's user interface is infuriating. We had a Model 3 as a rental car for a weekend and even with a charged battery it was impossible to figure out how to do anything. Let alone do things simultaneously (lock doors and open trunk, lol). Luckily a lot of this nonsense and complete dependency on the battery are part of Tesla's structure, not all EVs. See opening charge port and glovebox. That's just piss poor design.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #64
Fortunately and unfortunately very soon, I may have to know too much about batteries. I'll explain to everyone later if this happens.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
D, you're buying an EV?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #66

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Now that is interesting. Maybe you can do some good from the inside? You're a great mechanic / engineer.

As an aside, the DOE CE Corps. has been sniffing around. We will see what they offer and if it makes sense. Interestingly enough, it is a security clearance position (and not nuclear power related).