Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

ZF diff clutches

Trader history for Hatermkr (2)

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Selling a new set of clutch’s for zf diff

300 plus the ride IMG_7407.jpeg

Member ID
Reactions
City
HIXSON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Just checking...clutches still for sale? Got the billet from Todd/Colt a day earlier then promised...what a difference between them and IMS! Thanks for getting me in touch w/ them. I have some lifting restrictions due to recent eye surgery so have the diff at a shop I trust to swap the internals. They'll get to it by end of month so don't know the status of the clutches in the original diff and looking at options should I need to replace them or go w/ the wavetrac.

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #3
Just checking...clutches still for sale? Got the billet from Todd/Colt a day earlier then promised...what a difference between them and IMS! Thanks for getting me in touch w/ them. I have some lifting restrictions due to recent eye surgery so have the diff at a shop I trust to swap the internals. They'll get to it by end of month so don't know the status of the clutches in the original diff and looking at options should I need to replace them or go w/ the wavetrac.
Yes still have.

Member ID
Reactions
City
HIXSON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks...will let you know if I need them.

Member ID
Reactions
City
HIXSON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I hate to bother you again but just found the thread on the Charger Forum from earlier this year about the TBA diff. In the thread you indicated you had sold the diff from AJ in a different post you indicated the snap ring groove wasn't deep enough and you had some other problems.
In my process of finally getting the TBA diff case I had talked w/ AJ who was also having all kinds of problems w/ IMS. He mentioned to me that one of the IMS diffs he had gotten had an issue w/ the clutch plates and the snap ring/half shaft wasn't fitting properly. I was wondering if that was your diff he might have been talking about. He had to send the diff back to IMS and still had not gotten it back from them when I talked to him.
Anyway, was the diff bought from AJ an IMS or TBA? And was the snap ring you were having problems w/ on the half shaft or is there another one somewhere in the diff I don't know about?
Thanks...appreciate your time and Merry Christmas...You must know Jon Moored from one of your posts to Speedy I saw...I have his tune in fact a couple, one for factory injectors and another we tried to put in a Flex but couldn't get to work. After I fix the diff I'm going to ask him for an E-85 to go along w/ the larger FIC injectors used for the Flex.

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #6
I hate to bother you again but just found the thread on the Charger Forum from earlier this year about the TBA diff. In the thread you indicated you had sold the diff from AJ in a different post you indicated the snap ring groove wasn't deep enough and you had some other problems.
In my process of finally getting the TBA diff case I had talked w/ AJ who was also having all kinds of problems w/ IMS. He mentioned to me that one of the IMS diffs he had gotten had an issue w/ the clutch plates and the snap ring/half shaft wasn't fitting properly. I was wondering if that was your diff he might have been talking about. He had to send the diff back to IMS and still had not gotten it back from them when I talked to him.
Anyway, was the diff bought from AJ an IMS or TBA? And was the snap ring you were having problems w/ on the half shaft or is there another one somewhere in the diff I don't know about?
Thanks...appreciate your time and Merry Christmas...You must know Jon Moored from one of your posts to Speedy I saw...I have his tune in fact a couple, one for factory injectors and another we tried to put in a Flex but couldn't get to work. After I fix the diff I'm going to ask him for an E-85 to go along w/ the larger FIC injectors used for the Flex.
The diff I had from AJ I sold I bought my TBA from Todd. Both you use Stock center section or a wave track. Todd sold me a case and I set it up. I set up some for aj as well. To me Todd’s hands down at tba

Member ID
Reactions
City
HIXSON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I think I get it...TBA is a better diff case. Did you also put on the TBA diff brace on the TBA case? Pics on the Charger Forum (may have not be your thread) showed their brace but looked like it was on the stock ZF case based on the bolt heads used.

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #8
I think I get it...TBA is a better diff case. Did you also put on the TBA diff brace on the TBA case? Pics on the Charger Forum (may have not be your thread) showed their brace but looked like it was on the stock ZF case based on the bolt heads used.
You can add their brace but is unneeded

Member ID
Reactions
City
HIXSON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hi Thanks

Member ID
Reactions
City
HIXSON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Sorry to bother you again. It's about the diff. So I may (no...I did) have screwed up not getting Todd to do the install. I had some eye surgery and had lifting limits of 15lbs so doing the diff work wasn't going to happen in the near term. I wouldn't even be able to get it back into the garage after it was delivered back to me. Last thing I did the day before the surgery was to get it and the factory one down to the shop that I had been talking w/ and checking out. I've gotten past 70 now and thinking I need to start to get younger people to do some of my work. I should have just bought a digital in-lb torque wrench to replace my beam type and done the work myself!
To the point...I talked to the mechanic last Friday who sent pics to prove he had done some work which he had (was supposed to start that Sat but started early). He told me he contacted TBA for the pinion rotational torque spec before he does the final pinion nut torque. He said he would like that value because the bearing has a plastic cage to house the bearings keeping them separated.
I had actually used my beam torque wrench and measured that before taken it to him but have lost the paper I wrote it on. My memory says it was 21 to 23 in-lbs but I'm getting old and need a validation through a second source. I picked up the need to check this value in my FSM for the seal replacement instructions which I passed on to the mechanic as something to do but evidently he decided he knew more. I probably don't have all the facts but it pisses me off to be honest about the situation.
I've got enough mics including a depth mic to have taken a pinion depth measurement and coupled w/ the rotational torque could have gotten the sleeve crush right and the diff back into the car by now.
I'm hoping you can give me some more help based on your experience or talking to the fella at TBA who does the work.
Thanks
Casey

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #11
Sorry to bother you again. It's about the diff. So I may (no...I did) have screwed up not getting Todd to do the install. I had some eye surgery and had lifting limits of 15lbs so doing the diff work wasn't going to happen in the near term. I wouldn't even be able to get it back into the garage after it was delivered back to me. Last thing I did the day before the surgery was to get it and the factory one down to the shop that I had been talking w/ and checking out. I've gotten past 70 now and thinking I need to start to get younger people to do some of my work. I should have just bought a digital in-lb torque wrench to replace my beam type and done the work myself!
To the point...I talked to the mechanic last Friday who sent pics to prove he had done some work which he had (was supposed to start that Sat but started early). He told me he contacted TBA for the pinion rotational torque spec before he does the final pinion nut torque. He said he would like that value because the bearing has a plastic cage to house the bearings keeping them separated.
I had actually used my beam torque wrench and measured that before taken it to him but have lost the paper I wrote it on. My memory says it was 21 to 23 in-lbs but I'm getting old and need a validation through a second source. I picked up the need to check this value in my FSM for the seal replacement instructions which I passed on to the mechanic as something to do but evidently he decided he knew more. I probably don't have all the facts but it pisses me off to be honest about the situation.
I've got enough mics including a depth mic to have taken a pinion depth measurement and coupled w/ the rotational torque could have gotten the sleeve crush right and the diff back into the car by now.
I'm hoping you can give me some more help based on your experience or talking to the fella at TBA who does the work.
Thanks
Casey
I would have to go to a diff but I want to say ten. These are roller bearings not taper

Member ID
Reactions
City
HIXSON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
For some reason I was thinking they were but have never taken one apart to know. If you could get to a diff and check I sure would be appreciative.
Let me run this by you to make sure I understand the process to make sure there's not some other issue the mechanic may have:
The tightening of the pinion nut is to get the proper crush on the crush rings. That crush and the spacers on the carrier bearings are to get the proper contact between the pinion and ring gears. So there is no specific torque spec on the pinion nut, it's whatever it takes to get the crush set. Once everything is set properly, the torque required to rotate the pinion can be used as a reference. So if you have to take thing apart, when you're putting them back together you would tighten the pinion nut back to where you had it and check the rotational torque to make sure it's somewhere near that reference value. That should give a good contact pattern when checked. In this case with a new case and the added shim on the crush ring, not having a pinion depth measurement was a real screwup at least in my opinion. The only thing to do now is tighten the nut a little and check the pattern over and over changing side shims as needed till the contact pattern is right. The rotational torque should be near the same as the reference. Is that about how it works? The main thing is that there really is not torque spec for the pinion nut and it's a trial and error situation now and if you go too far you'll be buying a new 3.09 ZF diff for the pinion w/ crush ring.
Thanks

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #13
For some reason I was thinking they were but have never taken one apart to know. If you could get to a diff and check I sure would be appreciative.
Let me run this by you to make sure I understand the process to make sure there's not some other issue the mechanic may have:
The tightening of the pinion nut is to get the proper crush on the crush rings. That crush and the spacers on the carrier bearings are to get the proper contact between the pinion and ring gears. So there is no specific torque spec on the pinion nut, it's whatever it takes to get the crush set. Once everything is set properly, the torque required to rotate the pinion can be used as a reference. So if you have to take thing apart, when you're putting them back together you would tighten the pinion nut back to where you had it and check the rotational torque to make sure it's somewhere near that reference value. That should give a good contact pattern when checked. In this case with a new case and the added shim on the crush ring, not having a pinion depth measurement was a real screwup at least in my opinion. The only thing to do now is tighten the nut a little and check the pattern over and over changing side shims as needed till the contact pattern is right. The rotational torque should be near the same as the reference. Is that about how it works? The main thing is that there really is not torque spec for the pinion nut and it's a trial and error situation now and if you go too far you'll be buying a new 3.09 ZF diff for the pinion w/ crush ring.
Thanks
I will have to read this tomorrow. I left my glasses in my shop.

Member ID
Reactions
City
HIXSON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hi Jim...got a text from mechanic saying he had received necessary info and had diff back together. He also said something about the pinion seal may have been damaged so he will replace it and I'll have the diff for installation in the car by Friday. I'm hoping that will be the end of the story but I wouldn't put money on it. Thanks for your help. This ZF diff is like no other on the market and it really does take someone familiar with it not just differentials in general.
Casey
FYI- One of the many jobs I had in my career was being the Fire Protection Mgr at Sequoyah Nuclear Plant. The Firefighters/EMTs, Crew Supervisors, Fire Marshall, and Fire Protection Engr made up the group. The crews were composite w/ previous Assistant Unit Operators out of the Plant Operation Group, Electricians, and a Pipe Fitters. The Crew Supervisors were professional firefighters hired through a nation wide search. To make sure plant nuclear safety was maintained, the Incident Commander was from the on-shift Operations staff at supervisor level or above. The entire crew had EMT licenses and 2-week yearly fire training at the Fire Academy plus on-site drills. Other than fire and medical response we also did maintenance and testing for all the site's suppression and detection, battery powered emergency and high tower plant security lighting, removing and placing systems in service including establishing the required NRC required compensatory measures, inspection of fire barrier dampers and penetrations, and maintaining all the firefighting equipment. We had an impressive Telasquirt truck w/ good draft capabilities, at least it was to me. I got more than one call telling me the guys were putting rain on cars/people in the parking lot :). It was a good job but for sure one of the more stressful.
I appreciate your service. Have a safe day.

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State