Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

4x4 2020 Ram/Tundra/Tacoma

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Looking at buying a new/newer truck soon. It needs to have 4 wheel drive, must be reliable and not be rusted out 8 years from now. I think I would prefer a 6'4" bed, but I could get along with a 5'7" bed if the price was right.

Been looking around locally on the web, and I'm a bit shocked at how high the prices are on some of these trucks! I'm not a brand-o-phile....if its reliable and will last a while...that's my main concern. Initially, I was only looking at Toyota's (mainly Tundra). After surfing around the web and looking at reviews it seems the '20 Tundra's do not seem to rate very high among other trucks. The highest I seen them rate on one site was 3rd after the Ram and F150.

Then there's the Tacoma's.....nearly a full sized truck, but it seems they have very close to a full size truck price! But much more popular and rate higher among small to mid sized trucks.

Then there's the Ram 1500's. Apparently, it ranked #1 for '20...and you seem to get a bit more for the $$ as compared to Toyota Tundra.

I've not really looked at the F150 because I've had no luck with Ford cars in the past. Not looking at GM because they rust bad around here.

- I tend to hold on to trucks for many years since I never really use them for everyday driving. I like to take it out to tow the boat (just a 17' small boat) , and of course haul other things around. It doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles, but I don't want a totally stripped down model either. I like a few conveniences.

My poor crusty/rusty 2000 S10 LS 4x4 with 104K miles I bought brand new will have to go. It runs great still and the 4 wheel drive works great. But - cab corners and lower doors are rusted through bad along with the bed. I'd be afraid to put anything heavy in the bed...might fall through! lol. I plan to sell it for chump change. It would make a great truck for someone to throw a plow on and make some cash for a few years.

Anyways, for those of you that have had their fair share of pickups...here's the question.....which would you buy and why?

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
What exactly do you need out of your truck? Do you tow heavy? Are you interested in a diesel?

Below are my last three trucks (2004 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Hemi, 2012 Ram Power Wagon, and now my 2020 Ford Raptor). My focus on trucks was something that could get me off the beaten path, and then tow the family boat. I put less than 10,000 miles a year on my vehicles, so I generally don't pay attention to fuel economy. I have zero interest in diesels because of the emission headaches that come with the newer trucks. I can't say anything bad about the Ram lineup, they have always been good to me. I'm only 6,000 miles into my Ford Experience, and so far the Raptor has been a great truck.

For me it's really only between Ram and Ford. Chevy seems like a good product, but I'm not a fan of the looks or the interior. Ram has the best interior right now, but I still really like the interior of my Raptor. I've never been a big fan of the Toyota Lineup, so that never entered my mind.

2004 Ram 2500 Hemi
CabLights2.jpg
2012 Ram Power Wagon IMG_6894.jpg
2020 Ford Raptor
BisonRange.jpg

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
What exactly do you need out of your truck? Do you tow heavy? Are you interested in a diesel?

Below are my last three trucks (2004 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Hemi, 2012 Ram Power Wagon, and now my 2020 Ford Raptor). My focus on trucks was something that could get me off the beaten path, and then tow the family boat. I put less than 10,000 miles a year on my vehicles, so I generally don't pay attention to fuel economy. I have zero interest in diesels because of the emission headaches that come with the newer trucks. I can't say anything bad about the Ram lineup, they have always been good to me. I'm only 6,000 miles into my Ford Experience, and so far the Raptor has been a great truck.

For me it's really only between Ram and Ford. Chevy seems like a good product, but I'm not a fan of the looks or the interior. Ram has the best interior right now, but I still really like the interior of my Raptor. I've never been a big fan of the Toyota Lineup, so that never entered my mind.
Appreciate the response! I just need something for light to intermediate towing at the most. I use it to tow my boat up to the Northwoods, haul furniture for folks I know if they need it, and take heavy stuff to the dump. Also use it on bad snow days if there's a lot of snow/ice. Gas mileage isn't very important....but don't prefer a gas guzzler. I've realized a truck is really handy if you own your own house! Hard to throw 4x8 sheets of plywood into a SUV!

-If I towed heavy things all the time, a Cummins would do well...but that's not the case for me, so if it's a RAM for instance, the 5.7 should do fine. I'm lucky to put 3-4K a year on my truck normally.....(my S10 is 20 years old and has 104Kish on it). I rarely see off-road driving, but if I do I don't want to get stuck easily.

I plan to move within the next two years to a much more rural (country) setting - south of here, so the truck will come in handy to tow a trailer and the small stuff left over. Looks like you're from Montana? Must be awesome there! I can see why you have nice trucks. I'm not looking at the upper models like you have, but something mid-range with just a few comforts.

Toyota is on my radar because of their record on reliability. I also have a 04 Pontiac Vibe with over 115K miles on it. It's been nearly trouble free aside from one brake pad change, and normal maintenance its been perfect. It's the best vehicle I've owned so far as reliability and body/chassis rust. Its NEVER failed to start or stranded me, and aside from a few heat shields underneath getting rusty around the mounting points, its amazing how its held up after 16 years of Wisconsin winters and salt. I call it the best Pontiac that Toyota ever built (its a Toyota Matrix platform and drivetrain).

I know lots of guys that are hardcore fans of the Ford f150's and have had great luck with them. My general experience with Ford is a '95 T Bird with a modular 4.6 V8 I bought brand new (1st new car I ever bought) that began burning 5 quarts of oil (about 1 quart every 1K miles) between oil changes at just 37K miles....right after the warranty ran out. Dealer said valve seals were shot and had to be replaced. Left a sour taste for Fords with me after that.

Last edited:
OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Until recently, I've primarily owned Dodge trucks until they changed the name to Ram. A bunch of old Power Wagons and Ramchargers over the years. In the last several years there have been a few Chevy's and now a F150.
Since 2001 I've owned a 2001 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 diesel and 6spd manual, a 2010 Ram 2500 diesel automatic, a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi automatic, a 2017 Tahoe 5.3 automatic (what a dog), a 2018 Silverado 6.2 automatic (pretty good power), and now a 2015 F150 crew cab 6'4 bed 3.5 ecoboost automatic. Out of that whole bunch, I probably should've kept either the 2001 or the 2010 Ram 2500's.
I like the F150 I have now I bought used. It was some old mans truck that he maintained very well. It's got plenty of power, rides really well, has a decent amount of amenities (XLT and Sport packages) with heated seats, and I don't have to worry about it rusting out. I live in a rust area also, and when I was looking at used trucks, I was leary of finding one that had rust issues. I don't have to worry about that with the F150. I like the ecoboost fine, but if I were buying a new truck, I'd get the V8, but that's just my personal preference. I like V8's, I was raised on V8's, and it's what I would pick for myself. The F150 I have now is a great truck, and I got a great deal on it.
I looked at the Toyotas, and even went so far as to rent a Tacoma for a week to see how I liked it. It was ok, but it didn't wow me in the least. For what they cost new, and the price increase to a Tundra, I just wasn't willing to spend the money on either. Nothing wrong with them I'm sure, but there was zero wow factor for me when I drove them.
I've been looking at new Rams and F250's (don't like the looks on the new Chevy's). The prices are high. The electrical problems I had with my last Ram 1500 make me leary to buy another one of those because everything goes through that radio ( I had some issues with that on my Challenger also). The Fords do not, and I like that better.
Just do your research, and make your pro/con list.
Thx @Stormtrooper1320 for the reply.

Again, if I did a lot of heavy towing, I do have a soft spot for the Cummins diesel trucks. A friend of mine had a 12 valve one and helped me tow my Camaro on a trailer from Cincy to WI. (about 350 miles each way)...and it got 16 mpg on the highway towing an empty car trailer there, and the same 16 mpg with a full trailer on the way back!! It was like the trailer wasn't even there! I was impressed as you can tell...but.... I don't need a diesel with what I use it for normally.

The price of used trucks are through the roof right now! Anything from 2018-19 with low miles is only several thousand less than a brand new truck right now! I'm guessing its due to the current shortage of used vehicles overall right now. I could wait a while and see if used prices become more realistic.

-Sounds like another vote for Ram or Ford. I know the F150's have the aluminum body, so the body "should hold up well. The chassis might be a different story though. I might look into those closer ...but IDK....me and Ford don't seem to jive well together. -And trust me, I've been researching hard. Depends on what site you're visiting depends on what's better overall. That's why I wanted input from those that have owned these trucks in the real world instead of magazine reviews.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I bought my 2014 Ram 1500 brand new and drove it for 6 years, 65k miles. Only issue I had was the rear view camera went bad. Replaced it myself for $120 and 20 minutes of my time.

I went from a Tundra to a Ram st the time because the Toyota interiors just couldn't compete, in my opinion. Ram was the best value and the nicest interior without spending a ton of money.

Got rid of it when I moved because I didn't need a truck. I regret selling it but it was black on black and that would've sucked here in PHX.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Looking at buying a new/newer truck soon. It needs to have 4 wheel drive, must be reliable and not be rusted out 8 years from now. I think I would prefer a 6'4" bed, but I could get along with a 5'7" bed if the price was right.

Been looking around locally on the web, and I'm a bit shocked at how high the prices are on some of these trucks! I'm not a brand-o-phile....if its reliable and will last a while...that's my main concern. Initially, I was only looking at Toyota's (mainly Tundra). After surfing around the web and looking at reviews it seems the '20 Tundra's do not seem to rate very high among other trucks. The highest I seen them rate on one site was 3rd after the Ram and F150.

Then there's the Tacoma's.....nearly a full sized truck, but it seems they have very close to a full size truck price! But much more popular and rate higher among small to mid sized trucks.

Then there's the Ram 1500's. Apparently, it ranked #1 for '20...and you seem to get a bit more for the $$ as compared to Toyota Tundra.

I've not really looked at the F150 because I've had no luck with Ford cars in the past. Not looking at GM because they rust bad around here.

- I tend to hold on to trucks for many years since I never really use them for everyday driving. I like to take it out to tow the boat (just a 17' small boat) , and of course haul other things around. It doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles, but I don't want a totally stripped down model either. I like a few conveniences.

My poor crusty/rusty 2000 S10 LS 4x4 with 104K miles I bought brand new will have to go. It runs great still and the 4 wheel drive works great. But - cab corners and lower doors are rusted through bad along with the bed. I'd be afraid to put anything heavy in the bed...might fall through! lol. I plan to sell it for chump change. It would make a great truck for someone to throw a plow on and make some cash for a few years.

Anyways, for those of you that have had their fair share of pickups...here's the question.....which would you buy and why?
Find a clean 2010 and up ram 1500....and don't look back...It will ride much better than the ford..and do everrything you ask for...before I moved up to the ram 2500 in 18...I got a new 1500 every three years...had 6 of em...all great trucks...

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
I think based on your response I’d recommend a Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L Hemi, the long box, and maybe the Ram Box (if I was buying a Ram, the Rambox would be a must).

I really like my Raptor, but I wouldn’t buy a standard F150 (they look just ok to me). The other option would be a Ram Power Wagon or Ford Super Duty with the Tremor Package if you want a HD truck with some off road goodies.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
If you say "truck", there are certain things that are simply fundamental for it to actually be a truck, anything less is simply something else...

4x4
V8 with balls
decent tires
V8 with balls
9"+ ground clearance
V8 with balls
~6.5' bed (8' acceptable)
V8 with balls
3/4T class (newer 1/2T class is ok)
V8 with balls
transfer case/low range*
V8 with balls
That's all I can think of right now, well, except for a V8 with balls.

:cool:

*little known secret, get the snowplow package! Why, because it usually means that the transfer case is upgraded and the increased tq spec can be significant!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
If you say "truck", there are certain things that are simply fundamental for it to actually be a truck, anything less is simply something else...

4x4
V8 with balls
decent tires
V8 with balls
9"+ ground clearance
V8 with balls
~6.5' bed (8' acceptable)
V8 with balls
3/4T class (newer 1/2T class is ok)
V8 with balls
transfer case/low range*
V8 with balls
That's all I can think of right now, well, except for a V8 with balls.

:cool:

*little known secret, get the snowplow package! Why, because it usually means that the transfer case is upgraded and the increased tq spec can be significant!
The Ram 1500...has BALLS O PLENTY

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
I have owned every truck and brand over the last 20 plus years and can tell you hands down no for the TACOMA they suck to the MAX. And trust me on that to the point I Sold my 2017 Tacoma Pro and 2019 Tacoma Pro for the Ford Rangers. And if your not a Ford guy nor Chevy Guy than Ram 1500 is the winner and the better tow of the Chevy and Tacoma. Ford makes a damn nice truck these days but the Ram is awesome as well.
2F81D6A0-1B4A-43E8-8283-A7DC70691D87.jpeg EE36C05E-5A08-4077-ACC7-B2D9F1F4C6D8.jpeg DED142DB-2AE7-4914-A8CD-04847362FA53.jpeg 9315CEC0-DE61-4B2D-B36D-702B23BC068B.jpeg 9EB5C160-DBFD-46C7-A880-B043D79A9EAB.jpeg CF9B01F9-28B6-4DF4-9720-2D8037A995D2.jpeg A23E3EEE-33A4-434F-AC29-CD164C347AC3.jpeg AE42D7D9-4BD1-4E5C-B43E-A8433459D841.jpeg 886E0959-09C6-4F8F-9775-0C0D9E889ED0.jpeg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
from now on when I am vehicle shopping, I am just going to @ChargerChallenger house, as I can cross shop via his fleet

Jesus, I agree, from now on, CC's house it is.

A quick plane flight, a few drinks and you get all the access you need.

@ChargerChallenger, I hope you don't mind the visit, I'm happy to stay in the bunk house.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Ram seems to have it all going right now, hard not to choose that over the others. I feel like Dodge is missing out on the smaller truck market as well.

As far as the Tacoma, the prices, especially used, just blow me away - I mean how??? The Tacoma and Tundra platforms are so old, Toyota is just cashing checks selling 10-year old vehicles as new...but then again, isn't Mopar doing the same thing to all of us? ;)

I've owned several Toyota trucks - all SUVs and have a LX570(Landcruiser) now - and would have a hard time owning another brand. So solid and dependable.

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
I went with Tacoma, for their trail of dependability and the highest resale value in the United States.

img_0929-jpg.30576

Last edited:
OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
Ram seems to have it all going right now, hard not to choose that over the others. I feel like Dodge is missing out on the smaller truck market as well.

As far as the Tacoma, the prices, especially used, just blow me away - I mean how??? The Tacoma and Tundra platforms are so old, Toyota is just cashing checks selling 10-year old vehicles as new...but then again, isn't Mopar doing the same thing to all of us? ;)

I've owned several Toyota trucks - all SUVs and have a LX570(Landcruiser) now - and would have a hard time owning another brand. So solid and dependable.
From what I've read, the Tundra and Tacoma platforms go back to 2007. They seem to rate very good on dependability though.
I went with Tacoma, for their trail of dependability and the highest resale value in the United States.

img_0929-jpg.30576
Agreed....with the prices I'm seeing on used Tacomas and Tundras. I've looked at the prices of 1-2 year old (used) ones with low miles, and its unbelievable how much they're asking for those....may as well buy new for a few grand more!

I'm about burnt out comparing one brand against the others. Of all the trucks, I personally think the Ram has the best looking full sized trucks, and the Tacoma is the best looking mid sized. I just don't care for the look of the Tundras or F150's at all. But honestly, looks aren't everything to me. I'd like something dependable that will hold up well for the next 7-8 years.

I've also priced new trucks. Seems hard to find extended cab Rams. 90% of the new Rams being sold are crew cabs with the smaller 5'7" beds. Almost seems like once you pick options, you're up to high 40's or lower 50's no matter which model you choose unless you're talking about the top of the line models....they have MSRP's in the upper 60's to low 70's !!!! They're equipped more like cars than trucks!

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
You really need to drive the different trucks and I am telling you the Tacoma is a dog and the seats and the way you are positioned in the cockpit is terrible. They get lousy fuel mileage and suck on towing. I am a huge Toyota guy and have owned every year Tacoma for the last 10 plus years and a bunch of Tundras as well and they ain't the real deal trucks the American boys build and sorry Toyota guys and gals. Once again the Tacoma has the new V6 motor and it is terrible you will have to push the gas pedal to the metal to get her down the road. And I have owned a ton of the 4Runners as well and yes that V6 motor is awesome and Toyota made a huge mistake changing the V6 motor and not leaving the good old original. And sure they hold their value to a degree but its not the same market and the Tundra is the same its ok. The big difference is Toyota sells their Tacomas close to retail which lets use 35k and then you sell her for like 30k. The Tundra sells for say like 45k and you sell her for like 38k. The Rams and the GM and Ford discount their trucks by 10-15-20k off depending when you catch the deal. So as an example my Ram was like 68K and I got her for like 50K and yeah she's worth like 45k or so. So someone who paid full price took a beating but I wont since I got the deal and Toyota does not discount much so its all proportional which at the end of the day the RAM and other brands dont take as big as a hit as some may want you to believe.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
I like my Ram, but this is my first truck so I have no frame of reference with owning other trucks.

If you don't need the back seat too often, get a quad cab instead of a crew. All quad cab Rams have the 6' 4" bed. And the quad cab is 4" shorter overall than the crew cab w/ 5' 7" bed somehow and I think is about $3k cheaper than a comparable crew.

My 2 boys (17 & 21) are both about 6' tall and made the trip to/from my daughter's house (1.5 hrs away) in the rear seat of my quad cab without too much complaining. However, if the back seat gets used a lot, the crew cab is HUGE back there! But yes, it is difficult to find a crew cab with the longer bed.

Don't know what kind of deals are out there right now due to lack of inventory, but my Big Horn stickered at just over $46k and it's decently equipped (eTorque Hemi, 4x4, heated seats/wheel, remote start, 8.4 screen, dual automatic climate, etc) and I got it for $32k at the end of January. 20% off (or more) seems to be doable many times.

Haven't towed anything yet (and probably won't for the most part) so I couldn't say about that. Reliability will also be a big unknown for a while. You could check out 5thgenrams.com and poke around to see what issues people have had. There is also a huge thread about what people paid for their trucks. Most issues I've seen seem minor, but there are always horror stories out there for every brand.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
53B8EF8F-5C86-4197-8839-F6F114E89DBD.jpeg

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
Lots of great pics of 65-75K trucks that I would only consider if it were my daily driven vehicle....but it won't be. I'm looking to spend 45-50K at the absolute max on either a new one with a full warranty, or a slightly used one with low milage. I doubt I'll find a Ram limited or Raptor for 45K that would be 2 years old or newer with low miles.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I bought my 2014 Ram 1500 Sport brand new in early 2015 for $37k. Think it stickered at $54k.

I dont know what a limited has but in 2014 the sport was very well optioned. That was the 5.7 w/ 4wd and a 6.5' bed. Every option other than the air suspension.

It was actually the reason I started seriously considering my Challenger when I got rid of it. I loved the performance and ride of the truck and really like the interior/Uconnect system and wanted that in my next car.