Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Buying another Hellcat

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #41
My guess if it was sold and no trade they paid 44-45k. if you like her I’d tell them you have a check in hand for 48k and see what they say.
My guess is they overpaid during the COVID used car drought of 2020...

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #42

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
My guess if it was sold and no trade they paid 44-45k. if you like her I’d tell them you have a check in hand for 48k and see what they say.
Dealer offered $50,000 for my MY18 Charger with 19,000 miles. Perhaps a good reference point?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The openings in the front grill, they are unique to MY19

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
'19 was first year for the grille

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Please teach me about what that means...
Just 2019 year model Charger Hellcats had the snorkel grill.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #47
Dealer offered $50,000 for my MY18 Charger with 19,000 miles. Perhaps a good reference point?
The challenge as a buyer right now is finding a good deal that isn't based on the super COVID used car inflation.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
The challenge as a buyer right now is finding a good deal that isn't based on the super COVID used car inflation.
Not really the Hellcats are holding their values. The 42-45k Hellcats have never been common without high mileage. If your patient sit it out and watch that car and others will pop up. If you have certain price in mind then stick to your goal.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #49
Not really the Hellcats are holding their values. The 42-45k Hellcats have never been common without high mileage. If your patient sit it out and watch that car and others will pop up. If you have certain price in mind then stick to your goal.
I don't have a specific price in mind, it's all about the deal for me. I.e. if I can get a great deal on a car that cost me $60k vs a shitty deal on a car that cost me $45k, I'll buy the $60k car.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
I don't have a specific price in mind, it's all about the deal for me. I.e. if I can get a great deal on a car that cost me $60k vs a shitty deal on a car that cost me $45k, I'll buy the $60k car.
Nice then find the low mileage deal. If your goal is to drive her two years and sell her the lower miles will get you more money. A 70k mile Hellcat will be a low 40s car that is 4 plus years old.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Well you sold at high tide - I don't necessarily blame you - but it's still kind of the same market so you are stuck buying high right now. Right now, I think the sweet spot in the market is to buy brand new as discounted as possible, in the $60k range, maybe you can score a new Redeye for a little more. Challenger > Charger in all measures IMO except Chargers seem to resale a little higher? Are you driving the kids around in it? They are also a little more brand new too though???

I have two kids(7 and 14) and they love the Challenger and love riding in it, usually I have just one of them but it's no big deal when they are both riding, and I have the family of 4(both kids in back) in the Challenger for drives and room is not a problem, just a little more work getting in and out...but that's the kids' problem LOL Have had 3 kids in back a few times too.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #52
Well you sold at high tide - I don't necessarily blame you - but it's still kind of the same market so you are stuck buying high right now. Right now, I think the sweet spot in the market is to buy brand new as discounted as possible, in the $60k range, maybe you can score a new Redeye for a little more. Challenger > Charger in all measures IMO except Chargers seem to resale a little higher? Are you driving the kids around in it? They are also a little more brand new too though???

I have two kids(7 and 14) and they love the Challenger and love riding in it, usually I have just one of them but it's no big deal when they are both riding, and I have the family of 4(both kids in back) in the Challenger for drives and room is not a problem, just a little more work getting in and out...but that's the kids' problem LOL Have had 3 kids in back a few times too.
The market is still a bit high but there are vehicles out there that have started coming down, in my opinion. Fortunately, I don't have to buy right now at all, I can wait it out as long as I need. Just starting to shop.

My kids are young, 2 and 4, so the only challenge with the 2 door is getting the car seats in and out. Once they are in, there is plenty of room. Luckily they are both front facing now; if they were rear facing it would be a total no go.

I love using cargurus.com to shop because it shows you how long a car has been listed and what the price changes have been, as well as when the price changes happened. That gives you a little insight to what is going on in the market. I'm seeing a lot of cars that have been on the market 30+ days now and dealers are dropping the price. For example, that one I posted above at $52,999 was just dropped from $59,999. People aren't paying that over inflated price right now, at least that's my opinion. Maybe just because it's winter.

I remember a year ago when I bought my Challenger Hellcat, I had been shopping for about 3 months prior to COVID and jumped on the deal once I found someone that had to get rid of it due to COVID affecting their business. I could not find a clean Charger under $50k with under 30k miles. It appears that prices are getting close to that again, though some are clearly still way too high.

I do appreciate all the insight from you guys, some of you are much more well versed in this than I.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I don't ever have the fam in my Hellcat. If we go somewhere, we take the wifes Atlas. She's a stay at home Mom, so she's always available with her vehicle.

Only twice in the year we owned my Hellcat did she drive it.
My wife too has only driven mine perhaps twice. The last time was when we went out and I was going to show her how to properly launch the car and she said she really didn't want to do that. I know she's not above racing (see posts here) and she really blasted past me in my old MB S500 back in the day... I suspect she's afraid if anything happened to the car I'd be mad at her or something. It's actually one of the things that bothers me about the car (not it's fault) that she'd feel like that. I'd like to have a good killer opening quarter to the year and pick up a Hellcat Durango. Take her out to thrash the Charger before we sell it lol. But then again, back before I got so sick she volunteered to act as navigator in the Charger for the BBORR and I know that would probably scare the piss out of her (but would probably be a great bonding experience - I'd love to race with her again).

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I remember a year ago when I bought my Challenger Hellcat, I had been shopping for about 3 months prior to COVID and jumped on the deal once I found someone that had to get rid of it due to COVID affecting their business. I could not find a clean Charger under $50k with under 30k miles. It appears that prices are getting close to that again, though some are clearly still way too high.

I do appreciate all the insight from you guys, some of you are much more well versed in this than I.
My most recent checks at private party sales are giving me $52,000 or so for a 2017 Charger HC with 23,000 miles. That's both in West Texas and Central New Mexico. For whatever that is worth.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Please teach me about what that means...
Nothing. They found a better way to do it. Why they didn't go the redesign route to begin with I don't understand. It costs a great deal to run something like that new front end for a single model year. Someone messed up in my opinion.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #57

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #59
Yeah. All depends on whether or not it was driven in the winter. I sent the person a message to get some more info.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #60
I test drove a F10 M5 (2016) today too. Thought maybe that would be similar to the Hellcat and the suspension might be less stiff than the F80 M3. The suspension was a little softer but I could not believe the amount of road noise in the cabin, maybe due to the pilot super sports that were on it.

The other thing I couldn't get over was how, everytime I hit a bump or crack in the road, something in the interior would rattle. Sometimes multiple things. How does that happen in a car that orginially MSRP @ $125k and is only 4-5 years old?

The power was pretty nice though. The DCT is weird though, I actually like the ZF auto in the Hellcat better.