Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Bypass valve issue ?

roh92cp

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fort Kent
State
ME
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
So I’ve done a stage 1 upgrade on my 16 charger. So I tilted the blower up blocked the front and replaced the pulley installed demon injectors and JMS fuel max. All went well and was careful with all connections and plugs. Drove the car for 3 days with first calibration sent by reputable tuner one of the top in the game. No issue with first call and logged idle drive and WOT as requested single gear 4th to 6k track mode. Got a revised cal back and drove for a couple days again no issues. As requested I tried another WOT for the tuner and limp mode strikes with P1620 bypass valve control circuit open. I was able to turn off the car and restart and it would run normal but when I got into heavy load and boost 4500 rpm it would go limp with same code. Contacted tuner and they said not good bypass valve issue or wiring or plug short??? I was a bit surprised they had no remedy, I explained that it all ran fine for a week and made WOT run previous to limp issue and they said they would look into it. I thought this was a common issue when tuning but I could be wrong, but today after talking (email) with tuner I decided to try again and low and behold it ran perfect and I was able to log the WOT pull they needed on the second calibration so I sent that off with fingers crossed but. 2 hours later backing out the garage to go to work and limp mode (code P1645 bypass valve unable to close) happens immediately and car won’t run at all and won’t clear when turn off and on even after clearing DTC.

Question do these bypass valves really go bad like that 12k miles very well kept 16 charger? I’ve checked all plugs and wires and ground and everything is perfect can’t see how I damaged the wiring or bypass when I tilted it up in front to change pulley. I’ve researched this to death and don’t see where replacing the valve was the fix but again who knows. Anyway I’ve orders a brand new bypass to swap out. What a disappointment this has been so far, but I’m hopeful I’ll resolve it and I will post progress here.

Attachments