Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dangerous incident today - tires

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It's been a 4-digit code on all tires since 2000, if memory serves me.
There's a some interesting info in the factory codes, too, such as what plant the tire was made at.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
2 1/2 months on the boat?
I can believe that, not a priority shipment, sat in a cargo container in Japan for a few weeks, then s-l-o-w boat to the US, then weeks to clear customs etc. here, then loaded on a truck to the distributor.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Unfortunately, yes. But tires become NOS quicker than most other vehicles parts.
And it's not only tire sellers. Many people these days call something "new" as long as it still looks good and works.
Hmmm...now my wife still looks good...and works...I'm gonna start referring to her as my "new" wife....I'll let ya know how that works for me...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Did you notice that they made an assumption when decoding the "439" manufacturing date, saying that it means the 43rd week of '99 ?

It may not matter much now, but 20 years ago it could. That tire could have been made in '89, or even '79, and that was the problem with using only three digits.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Are you saying that run flats were never offered? When I went shopping for my kat at Hunting Beach Dodge; they had at least 6 brand new cats with run flats on them. This was in June of '17.
Hey...if you're going down to HB, can you stop at the Wienerschnitzel down the street from the Dodge dealer and send me a few chili dogs and some fries? In fact...get yourself something while you're there.....my treat :p

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
I paid about the same for my OEM A/S from Tire Rack. Already had to replace one at the first rotation, couldn't get it to balance. These were from the same lot as the originals on my 2016. So be careful out there shopping for tire deals. Now I need to have some front end work done, shook the front end pretty hard on a road trip.

Rob
Born on date on the ones I got was December 2017 so not terribly old. Def not past the expiration date

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Hey...if you're going down to HB, can you stop at the Wienerschnitzel down the street from the Dodge dealer and send me a few chili dogs and some fries? In fact...get yourself something while you're there.....my treat :p
Wish that was possible, I'd love to do it for ya.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Wish that was possible, I'd love to do it for ya.
me too!! cuz we don't have an easy place to grab some chili dogs on a whim here :D

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
me too!! cuz we don't have an easy place to grab some chili dogs on a whim here :D
We got a ton of good places up here..unfortunately there still closed...

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
We got a ton of good places up here..unfortunately there still closed...
I wish we had a Weinerschnitzel around here. I'm sure it's not the healthiest food for you...but they make a damn nice chili dog for a fast food place. Good, cheap eatin'.
I lived in HB for years, and went to the one up the street from HB Dodge regularly.
There's also a ton of independent charbroil burger places in SoCal and they make it totally unnecessary to go to BK or McD's.

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That inside shoulder looks like tread separation, definitely not wear. Most tire manufacturers try to keep warehouse inventory under 5 years. The only real issue with tire components is if the rubber has severe cracking that let's water get to the belt package in the tread. Sidewall cracking is pretty normal around the letters, if not severe, then you are OK. I wouldn't worry much about buying "new" tires that are 3, 4, 5 years old as long as there are no tread cracks.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The only real issue with tire components is if the rubber has severe cracking that let's water get to the belt package in the tread.
I would agree, if we were discussing bias ply tires.

Delamination is usually the issue with aging radials, and is unfortunately not easily detectable by a visual inspection.
Nexen tires, OE on Ram DRWs for example, are known to have come apart within 20,000 miles, or in under a year. No cracking, just delamination.

I would never buy tires, even for a slow vehicle, that are already five years old. Not when I know I'll be replacing them in a year. Yep, six years is pushing it for me.

Now for the good news: I have lots of old tires that look perfect, some that have never been mounted. You can have every one of them (except the bias ply ones) for free. Just come get them, or pay for shipping.

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Tread separation can happen at any age, true. But it would likely be a production issue and not likely from age.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Okay, so most major manufacturers recommend about six years max, up to 10 with commercial tires, yet it has nothing to do with age?
Yes, there's a lot of confusion about tires, but now you have me completely confused.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Most tire manufacturers recommend warehouse inventory is OK up to about 5 years. Within that time, age isn't an issue for tires sold. Another way to look at it is most manufacturers have tires with 80k to 90k wear, and this is probably the most popular segment of all season tires.
Average drivers are looking at between 12k and 15k miles per year. If manufacturers are making 80k warranty tires, it would take the average consumer 6 to 7 years to reach worn.
There are savy consumers, such as yourself and many others that replace their tires well before worn, but many only replace them when they have a catastrophic failure or fail to pass inspection.
When tire are stored out of the sun and away from ozone generating equipment, cracks are not likely to appear. Ozone is the enemy, and road hazards that get improperly repaired allowing water to reach the belt package and cause failure (delamination). Tires can fail in the bead area, but most fail in the tread.
I hope that makes it more clear, you are doing fine by replacing early, but honestly most don't.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Most tire manufacturers recommend warehouse inventory is OK up to about 5 years. Within that time, age isn't an issue for tires sold.
That cracked me up. So tires don't age when in a warehouse?
It's just like that the oil doesn't go bad on the dealer's lot. Then, once someone buys their 'Cat, it has to be changed every six months.

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That cracked me up. So tires don't age when in a warehouse?
It's just like that the oil doesn't go bad on the dealer's lot. Then, once someone buys their 'Cat, it has to be changed every six months.
Of course they age, they are just not stored in sunlight or around ozone generating equipment.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
DOT and most auto companies advise against using tires > 6 years old (based on the manuf. date code):
http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tires-expire-in-six-years/
A DOT write up just like this is what it took for Jegs to take the 2 year old Nittos back I received 3-4 weeks ago. They at first told me mfg’ said tired don’t have a life span. Received full credit and no shipping charges within 3-4 days of them getting back to their site.