Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

DIY Fuel Drain Kit

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Another member told me that an AC fitting will fit the fuel rail, he was correct. I contacted a friend that did AC service for a long time, now retired. He had a garage full of crap, including a bunch of obsolete Freon 12 hoses, one end of which fits the fuel rail.

IMG_0067.jpeg

I cut off the crimp sleeve and removed the fitting and put it on a fuel line with cable ties. (The same friend gave me fuel line he had laying around.) The line/fitting was maybe 40 years old, the o-ring was trash, simple to replace, but common hardware store (buna) o-rings are not gas rated but it should be ok because it does not stay wet for long, and like I said, it is easy to replace.

IMG_0068.jpeg

He also gave me a relay he had lying around that matched the fuel pump relay, which I gutted and attached 18awg lamp cord.

IMG_0065.jpeg

I had a push button switch lying around that I connected to the other end.

IMG_0066.jpeg

Ran the car until the range said “low” then drained out the remaining 93. About 1.5gal in a minute or two.

Hope this helps some DIY (cheapo!) nuts like me!

Big TY to Tom for the parts!

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Another member told me that an AC fitting will fit the fuel rail, he was correct. I contacted a friend that did AC service for a long time, now retired. He had a garage full of crap, including a bunch of obsolete Freon 12 hoses, one end of which fits the fuel rail.

View attachment 134929

I cut off the crimp sleeve and removed the fitting and put it on a fuel line with cable ties. (The same friend gave me fuel line he had laying around.) The line/fitting was maybe 40 years old, the o-ring was trash, simple to replace, but common hardware store (buna) o-rings are not gas rated but it should be ok because it does not stay wet for long, and like I said, it is easy to replace.

View attachment 134932

He also gave me a relay he had lying around that matched the fuel pump relay, which I gutted and attached 18awg lamp cord.

View attachment 134933

I had a push button switch lying around that I connected to the other end.

View attachment 134934

Ran the car until the range said “low” then drained out the remaining 93. About 1.5gal in a minute or two.

Hope this helps some DIY (cheapo!) nuts like me!

Big TY to Tom for the parts!

I like the remote switch aspect of this, I have one of the relays that has the switch directly integrated into the top of it, but I like this better, then you can be up front with the action and the switch in your hand.

Nice

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #3
I like the remote switch aspect of this, I have one of the relays that has the switch directly integrated into the top of it, but I like this better, then you can be up front with the action and the switch in your hand.

Nice
Exactly! IMG_0069.jpeg

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Too much work. Just pull the fuel pumps and siphon it directly from the tank 😉

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
I have something similar. It activates the 2nd and 3rd fuel pumps. I just hook up an AN line to a fitting I have off the fuel rail. Super simple and easy to use no siphoning necessary. I like the AC fitting line tho might try that thanx

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #6
The guy who provided the parts asked me to clarify that he does not have a garage full of crap, it is all precious vintage collectables, even though he did he best to put as much of it as he could in my trunk!

He asked if using the fuel pump to empty the tank would burn it out. I am not a fuel pump expert but my guess is it should be fine as long as I stop when empty. These things pump thousands of gallons at what, 30-40psi, over 5-10 years. A couple gallons now and then at 0psi shouldn't be a prob, right?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I really like the button idea

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
The guy who provided the parts asked me to clarify that he does not have a garage full of crap, it is all precious vintage collectables, even though he did he best to put as much of it as he could in my trunk!

He asked if using the fuel pump to empty the tank would burn it out. I am not a fuel pump expert but my guess is it should be fine as long as I stop when empty. These things pump thousands of gallons at what, 30-40psi, over 5-10 years. A couple gallons now and then at 0psi shouldn't be a prob, right?
I’ve thought about this as well. The pumps can get hot, and you shouldn’t run them dry. But not sure if it impacts the pumps

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #9
I’ve thought about this as well. The pumps can get hot, and you shouldn’t run them dry. But not sure if it impacts the pumps
Not sure why they would get hotter emptying a gallon or two vs normal operation. And as far as running dry, if they were extremely sensitive wouldn't the pump burn out every time someone ran out of gas? I’m believing the SRT Engineers (the original “real” ones) picked a fp motor that was appropriately durable for the great car they designed. As far as the engineers they have left, I wouldn’t trust them to fix my screen door.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I believe after a little research I came across the same thing in prep for drag week last year...dunno if I made the thread or not...but I do like that remote relay. I have the direct switch one and it works. The most expensive part was the relay.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #11
I believe after a little research I came across the same thing in prep for drag week last year...dunno if I made the thread or not...but I do like that remote relay. I have the direct switch one and it works. The most expensive part was the relay.
You might have been the one who told me about the fitting! :)

Relays are $1.40 if you buy 10! :)
https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-5004...1712531346&sprefix=5+pin+,aps,134&sr=8-6&th=1

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger

Nice
You have a part number by chance for the relay with the switch that you used?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #14

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
$43!?!?!? I'll touch two wires together before spending that!!!

Hell, for that $ I'll make them with a 18' cord and remote switch! Free shipping! :)

Yeah, I thought they were expensive too...

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
That's because you're ordering the kit of three for all different styles of relay with that link. 9036 is the kit of 3.

9036-1 is the small spade relay switch by itself and should be 14.99 at various places.