Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dodge Hellephant Crate Engine Production Finally Beginning After Quality Issue

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Gonna be very pricey.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
It’s been exactly one year since that “Hellephant” with its 3.0 supercharger was on the stage with all the fanfare. So what was that really? What it wasn’t was a actual Hellephant crate engine. Was that really a 3.0L supercharger? My bet is it was simply a 2.7L Demon SC with a black painted top cover. If it was actually a 3.0.... was it a one of a kind prototype? Did they only make one? They should have been in actual production by then if that engine was a reality. Anyone ever seen one? Are they stockpiled in a big secret warehouse somewhere? So Dodge is having these things built out of house. Must be some real big engine builder. Who is that? The engine builder who built my 426 doesn’t have any production problems. I don’t know how many he’s turned out in the last year but it’s a hell of a lot more than whoever’s supposed to be producing the Hellephant.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Midland
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I believe there was an article on Allpar that quoted one of the engineers who stated that the 3.0L would be available shortly after the release of the motor. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
It’s been exactly one year since that “Hellephant” with its 3.0 supercharger was on the stage with all the fanfare. So what was that really? What it wasn’t was a actual Hellephant crate engine. Was that really a 3.0L supercharger? My bet is it was simply a 2.7L Demon SC with a black painted top cover. If it was actually a 3.0.... was it a one of a kind prototype? Did they only make one? They should have been in actual production by then if that engine was a reality. Anyone ever seen one? Are they stockpiled in a big secret warehouse somewhere? So Dodge is having these things built out of house. Must be some real big engine builder. Who is that? The engine builder who built my 426 doesn’t have any production problems. I don’t know how many he’s turned out in the last year but it’s a hell of a lot more than whoever’s supposed to be producing the Hellephant.

Marc,

It is my understanding that there was a big problem with the engine and production never began. Whatever was the problem is now resolved so they will start to be built (now). Given that they are hand built, they will be slowllllllly shipppped

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Reported to be sold out the first week...I guess orders would be accompanied by a deposit? I wonder how much money has been tied up and in the bank for FCA? I think if I had one on order and had to wait this long, I might be ready to change my mind.

OP
Daman98

Daman98

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithsburg
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
In the Market
Thread Starter #26
"the Mopar parts division discovered that too much camshaft tension was causing them to break "

It is Fake News about why they are not out yet.
If you know you know ;)
Ahhh, so now that the engines are ready, the 2020 order banks can open. Gotcha!;)

clv22p

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger 1320
I'm a SXT guy, but I won't be dropping a Hellephant into my car. I believe the rule is it has to be a 1997 or older vehicle, right? For emissions or something.
Its 1976 not 1997

Plasticman

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Opelika
State
AL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger HC
$29,995 each. Out of my price range.

Rob

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ahhh, so now that the engines are ready, the 2020 order banks can open. Gotcha!;)
Aren’t they already backordered with 3,000 pre-production orders that they couldn’t fill?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Back to my question.... Where are the 3.0 superchargers? One year ago Dodge presented the Hellephant at SEMA. We were told that it was going to be available first quarter of 2019. IHI manufactures the superchargers. I find it difficult to believe that they are going to have a 3.0 sitting on that SEMA engine without being ready (already) producing that supercharger. It looks like what is just a larger displacement of the already produced 2.4/2.7. So did they suspend production of the 3.0 while whoever the Hellephant engine builder is got it together? Or did they actually start the production run and now they're hidden away somewhere?
What's frustrating is that Dodge spends millions of advertising dollars on stuff like these stupid Muscletown commercials, but when it comes to supporting the week in and week out performance of individual owners on the tracks across the country, they keep performance parts and support unavailable. They purposely make the platform more and more difficult to tune and keep stuff like what is most likely going to be a very capable performance item like this supercharger unavailable.
I hate to say it but the real advertising when it comes to Dodge performance are the modified Hellcats kicking butt on the tracks across the country every week. Instead of hyping limited availability stuff like the Hellephant.... they should be making stuff like the 3.0 available to the capable owners and tuners that would put it to real use.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Snagged me a block to build on at least...

View attachment 5539
My husband John loved the AL block. In my prior race car he had a 440 AL engine built, with a KB 3.6 Crowning the Top.

Right now you have a 426 by BBP?

I know you posted to me who you bought the AL from and is that who is going to build your new engine I have searched for the post but for the life of me I can't find it?

You have Tim Tuning and SRT Tommy building your HC?
I saw Tommy out in Cali :) and Tim should be coming to ATCO and I hope to see him there, he is a personal friend of mine!

Your HC is going to be going to be Fasssst!

Linda :)

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
My husband John loved the AL block. In my prior race car he had a 440 AL engine built, with a KB 3.6 Crowning the Top.

Right now you have a 426 by BBP?

I know you posted to me who you bought the AL from and is that who is going to build your new engine I have searched for the post but for the life of me I can't find it?

You have Tim Tuning and SRT Tommy building your HC?
I saw Tommy out in Cali :) and Tim should be coming to ATCO and I hope to see him there, he is a personal friend of mine!

Your HC is going to be going to be Fasssst!

Linda :)
Had Glenn Rains with RPM in Littleton, CO do my first 1.0 426 build. We stroked a new 392 block, went with a custom grind cam and kept the stock heads then rebuilt with porting, new valves, springs etc. Also ported and honed the OE intake (keeping it N/A). Glenn wasn’t happy with the performance on build 1.0 thinking the heads and intake were our choke points. Also something to do with harmonics I don’t understand. I think we’re a little under 600 HP to the crank right now. He said this engine kicked his ass so has now volunteered to build me another one on his dime including Thitek heads and a Holly Sniper intake! He also wants to ditch the Hellcat lifters for Johnson and swap out to 3” exhaust. I knew the Hellephant block was not part of his generous offer so couldn’t resist ponying up for it on build 2.0 :) He thinks our 2.0 build should be knocking on the door of Hellcat HP on an N/A engine.

Last edited:

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Don’t think the 3.0 SC unit is anything more then the 2.7 with longer rotors, which is the 2.4 unit with the same longer rotor.

Certainly not an re-engineering challenge, so I doubt IHI production of the unit is the concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member ID
Reactions
City
Midland
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Anyone have updates on the 3.0L superchargers now that Hellephant production seems to be back on?

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellephant is a bust! Hope people did not tie up a lot of money while waiting for it...it’s going to be more waiting