Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Drag radials moving on rim balancing

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Most folks are recommending the Permatex High Tack. I'm gonna try to grab some of that. I found it local in a brush on can, but they make a spray as well and the tire guys would probably like that better.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
Most folks are recommending the Permatex High Tack. I'm gonna try to grab some of that. I found it local in a brush on can, but they make a spray as well and the tire guys would probably like that better.
Be interested to see your results

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Be interested to see your results
I used to glue valve cover gaskets to the valve cover with it. Held on pretty good

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #24
I used to glue valve cover gaskets to the valve cover with it. Held on pretty good
that's apple to apples:rolleyes:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
that's apple to apples:rolleyes:
Thank you for your insight professor. Rubber gasket rubber tires.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Thank you for your insight professor. Rubber gasket rubber tires.
That’s what rubber cement is too lol 😂

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yeah it's kinda odd. The old MT ET Street Rs I had moved about 2 inches the first time out then never moved again. These just kept on moving. I even aired them up to 35psi and let them set for 2 weeks after mounting per my normal procedure. Maybe the tire guy used too much lube or something, dunno.

Bead locks would obviously solve it but that means buying new wheels, dealing with the bead locks, etc. Nah.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Yeah it's kinda odd. The old MT ET Street Rs I had moved about 2 inches the first time out then never moved again. These just kept on moving. I even aired them up to 35psi and let them set for 2 weeks after mounting per my normal procedure. Maybe the tire guy used too much lube or something, dunno.

Bead locks would obviously solve it but that means buying new wheels, dealing with the bead locks, etc. Nah.
I never had a set that didn't slip some each run from new. At this point I've run 2 sets of MT 315/50's on Welds and 2 sets of MT 305/45's along with 1 set of the Hoosier DBR's all on Billet Specialties. All 5 sets consistently slipped from the word go.

I am sort of surprised that no one has mentioned trying weatherstrip adhesive(aka gorilla snot). Perhaps it would be too much of a good thing?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I don't want too much, just enough to solve the problem. I looked at a couple different products and the Permatex High Tack is pretty thin but got super sticky when I put a bit on my finger. Figure a little of that around the entire perimeter of the bead should do the trick and not be a huge deal when breaking the tire down.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
@Speedy!
One of the things you look for is to see is the tire mounted centered on the wheel. There is even a little rib you can measure to all the way around near the bead. If the ID of the bead area is not tight on the wheel or is eccentric then the tire will not be centered. I am the same as Bo. MOST of my tires move a little each pass. A few will stick and not move. But I DO ask that they use lube as usual because I want the tire mounted using normal procedures and to not be damaged. So, in essence I WANT my tires to move. I had a set that shook and after I ran them the first night they never shook again. Did they move and find that happy spot? Or shave themselves round in the burnout? I have no idea.

Honestly, I think we are a ways off from disrupting the bead in an unsafe manner. Years ago, I had a tire move 360 deg in 4 passes when I was running 10.5 PSI and they were freshly mounted. Bias Ply QTP's on my 71 Demon.

ET STREET R is 14 to 18 PSI HOT. The old recommendation was 12 to 16 Cold. I usually run 17 to 19. Most times 17. So 14 is the bottom and these cars are heavy with a lot of torque so you need about 2 PSI higher to account for that. So 16 and higher should be relatively safe.

The old Tech Bulletin did say that under no circumstances were you to run less than 12 PSI cold. I think that is your safety margin right there. I suspect you are way above that.........

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Good info as usual Ron. Mine are tacked up now with Permatex High Tack and mounted dry per my request. I'll pick them up tomorrow and see how they look.

I had been running 18 cold to get the party started. If things were good I'd go up 2psi for 22 hot. At my last race I ended up around 22 to 23 "medium" like in between rounds and the car picked up almost 3mph.

hell on wheels

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
I use hi- tack
They move some first time
Then don’t move much after that. 3375AB19-A2C9-47B3-95B9-1C7C5B547868.jpeg

Dead hooks

Saturday I predicted my et
Within .003
Before each pass.

View attachment 81295
C14DC1DB-FCB3-49BA-B70E-CBEE5E8EAA68.jpeg
745D4B61-3656-4357-904F-C7E93C44D401.jpeg
33074C7F-918D-4593-8543-0429443804EB.jpeg

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lewes
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 HC RedEye Super Stock
tire move.JPG
This was after 4 passes with some sticky stuff on my beads after thorough cleaning. I have tried a few things, and they always move and get out of balance at the track.
I run about 18 lbs of air and run high 1.49s-1.57s with these tall tires. My stock tires used to move (the drag radials) but not as much, and I pulled mid 1.4s all day with them.
I now have my own at home tire changer/balancer set up, so I will commit to just rebalancing them after each track day.
ALTHOUGH.... when you make 3-6 passes, car shakes a lot in the upper mph, which is terrible & unNerving. $4k beadlocks & matching fronts are not an option with this Biden admin. :-(

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I wonder if just not putting weights on them would help your situation? Mine are balanced and even thought they moved 10 or so inches on the rim I didn't get any vibrations surprisingly.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
View attachment 81406
This was after 4 passes with some sticky stuff on my beads after thorough cleaning. I have tried a few things, and they always move and get out of balance at the track.
I run about 18 lbs of air and run high 1.49s-1.57s with these tall tires. My stock tires used to move (the drag radials) but not as much, and I pulled mid 1.4s all day with them.
I now have my own at home tire changer/balancer set up, so I will commit to just rebalancing them after each track day.
ALTHOUGH.... when you make 3-6 passes, car shakes a lot in the upper mph, which is terrible & unNerving. $4k beadlocks & matching fronts are not an option with this Biden admin. :-(
If you use my system you can fix them (re balance) right on the spot without removing the wheels/tires from the car. I have been doing it for YEARS.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
ALTHOUGH.... when you make 3-6 passes, car shakes a lot in the upper mph, which is terrible & unNerving. $4k beadlocks & matching fronts are not an option with this Biden admin. :-([/QUOTE]
You have 1000hp going through the parts in your transmission. All’s good. Then you start with the impact wrench action from those out of balance rear wheels. That Jack hammer like impact will do exactly what you think it might do… Check the cost of the Weld Laguna Beadlocks. Then check the cost of a new trans.

Last edited:

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Weld Laguna 17x10 Hellcat fit are $750 shipped. 15” are $695.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Weld Laguna 17x10 Hellcat fit are $750 shipped. 15” are $695.
I'm probably going to have to go that way soon.

Adrenaline Rush

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Windham
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
22 Charger Hellcat Redeye
FWIW Maybe I got lucky this time. Recently mounted a 315-50 -17 Mickey R on a 17x11 Racestar. When I brought the tires and wheels to my tire shop
assistant manager says to me we should dry mount these if possible. I agree. I also brought the tire shop a 10 oz. bottle of isopropyl alcohol with 25% water added. I ask that whatever goes on the tires and wheels to mount them, wipe off both tires and wheels with the alcohol.
before setting the bead. I only have 3 passes now. The 60 foots were 1.46, 1.45 and 1.40. They have not moved at all !

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Mine getting remounted dry with the high tack spray seems to have worked thus far. Made 3 passes at Moparty this wekeend and they moved 1" and stopped which is what I've experienced in the past. I'll continue to monitor.