Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Excited about the PB but something is off...

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
BTW, back in the, yesterday, close enough. Thank you. DA was meant to finish a sheet metal on a steal. Hush not to tell any one. Butster we would DA aluminuam to get itster to a rough form to have paint and or rough black powder coat applied. I learned this by working in an industrial sheet metal shop in Clearwater. We made the 1st atm machines in the early 90s. Made out of 1/4 inch metal that could not be broken into. You did not make a mistake or fired. Had to be perfect. Power brake, tig and mig, DA, all perfect. Old union sheetmetal bastards had no patients.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
IATs went from 130 at the start of the run to 153 by the end. Pressure Ratio stayed between 2.2 and 2.6 for the entire run with a peak Aircharge of 1,670mg.
That IAT isn't terrible for a 2.5 pulley but it will be pulling a bit of timing above 140 I bet. It's also spinning the pee pee out of that poor supercharger so expect the bearings to need service before long. There's an efficiency map posted here somewhere and a 2.72 is about the top of the efficiency range on the 2.4L blower. However, at your DA you may wanna try a 2.65 pulley first.

Doublewide

Member ID
Reactions
City
Little Rock
State
AR
Country
United States
Thank you! Kind of lose sight of the accomplishments when you don't quite make your personal goals.

Sounds like skinnies up front and better air will get me the 9 slip and maybe some air under that front tire!
I think a 3.09 gear would get you to the 9's by itself. But 3.09's and skinnies would be a done deal

OP
yellow_hellcat

yellow_hellcat

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lincoln
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #44
That IAT isn't terrible for a 2.5 pulley but it will be pulling a bit of timing above 140 I bet. It's also spinning the pee pee out of that poor supercharger so expect the bearings to need service before long. There's an efficiency map posted here somewhere and a 2.72 is about the top of the efficiency range on the 2.4L blower. However, at your DA you may wanna try a 2.65 pulley first.
I am considering dropping back down to a 2.72 to get the clutched style pulley as well. Seems like people are making enough power at that pulley size so the 2.5 may be a waste without the support cooling modes (interchiller, etc).

OP
yellow_hellcat

yellow_hellcat

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lincoln
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #45
I think a 3.09 gear would get you to the 9's by itself. But 3.09's and skinnies would be a done deal
I have been a bit hesitant to go with the 3.09 as I normally have a hard time finding traction and I assume that will only make the issue worse. I hope to make it to our local 1/8 mile track this Friday but I normally can't get it to hook up there due to the large amount of street cars they run on their TNT nights.

OP
yellow_hellcat

yellow_hellcat

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lincoln
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #46
Finally able to turn my attention back to the Hellcat after a rough 5 months of family deaths. :cry:

I plan to but some more money into the build but I can't decide which direction to go so I figured you guys would be happy to spend someone else's money! HAHA

I am running a 2.5" metco upper (e85) and I believe high IATs are the biggest killer to my goals (and probably the life of the blower) so I am considering the Forced Induction Interchiller with spacers and blanket. From what I read it seems like this should be a solid fix for the IATs.

ASSuming that solves the IAT issue, my next target is airflow in and out of the engine. With the blower spinning this fast (21k rpm vs 15k stock) it should be moving a lot more air through the throttle body and out the exhaust, right? What I can't decide is if I should tackle the intake or the exhaust side first. I have heard the stock exhaust manifolds are good to over 1000 rwhp so I assume it would be the intake side.

Do I go for a ported snout (with upgraded bearings) and larger throttle body (105mm?) or long tube headers with high flow cats? Or is there something else I am missing that needs changed or upgraded?

Thanks!

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm more on porting the snout to flow more air. Not sure there is much there with exhaust based on what I have seen but always tempted to put headers on being bigger shorties or long tubes.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
You'd be better off replacing the supercharger with the Whipple 3.0. That 2.5 pulley isn't doing anything for the car but slowing it down. Look up some of Hellno's post on this forum where he tested pulleys at the track. A 2.65 was the max and that was pushing a bit in and of itself. 2.72 would be ideal for staying in the efficiency of the 2.4L IHI.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
You'd be better off replacing the supercharger with the Whipple 3.0. That 2.5 pulley isn't doing anything for the car but slowing it down. Look up some of Hellno's post on this forum where he tested pulleys at the track. A 2.65 was the max and that was pushing a bit in and of itself. 2.72 would be ideal for staying in the efficiency of the 2.4L IHI.
When I read the 2.5 pulley, I went wow!! I don't know about capacity but it just seemed really small and a possible grenade scenario to me.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
yeah we would all like whipple but I was thinking he was doing some things.

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Do you have a datalog to share?

OP
yellow_hellcat

yellow_hellcat

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lincoln
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #52
@vortecd - Thanks. I am leaning towards the intake side also.

@Speedy! - I am considering dropping back to the 2.72, especially if it actually adds power but that concept just seems hard for me to follow given all the other people running the 2.5 (and smaller). I will definitely check out Hellno's post and educate myself some more! I put a Whipple on my 2012 and it was enjoyable but I fear that level of power, on this car, will cause more issues (trans and axles) like it was setting the 2012 up for. I don't have budget for the rest of the supporting mods a Whipple will require at this time.

@Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC - I do have a log from my last time at the track. PM me your email and I would be happy to share it.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Attach the log here. I'll take a peek as well. I have the 2.4 IHI efficiency chart somewhere. I'll post it. I knew of a few that ran the 2.5 pulley but none of the blowers survived. Hellno did the best testing I saw swapping pulleys at the track. The 2.5 made too much heat.

You'll also start getting to the limits of the rods as well. Above 850 wheel things get risky on Hellcat. I think Redeye can go a hair further but with their larger supercharger you have to be careful with pulley size. 2.85 is about it that one.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I have the 2.4 IHI efficiency chart somewhere. I'll post it. I knew of a few that ran the 2.5 pulley but none of the blowers survived. Hellno did the best testing I saw swapping pulleys at the track. The 2.5 made too much heat.
Please do. I’m spinning a 2.4 with a 2.72 up top and a +10 down below, makes right at SAE 950 wheel. Makes instant boost,Curious where that combo falls on the chart.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Growing up in Denver and living in Michigan I couldn't go back. Leaving Cincy to go to New Mexico would be a big no for me. Not only altitude to slow the car down but living in the desert is no fun. I guess @Jimmy N. likes living in the desert though:whistle:
Living in the desert....only if yer first name is Lawrence....;);)

OP
yellow_hellcat

yellow_hellcat

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lincoln
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #56
Here is the log from the 3rd pass of the night. According to Dragy the DA was 4394ft on this pass.

Attachments

OP
yellow_hellcat

yellow_hellcat

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lincoln
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #57

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
I threw your log into my dashboard and everything looks good. There are a few channels I can't see like STKR or Timing but your IAT's are definitely getting up there.

1651377749451.png

Knowing what I know about how the IATs work you are definitely having some sort of timing pulled. Otherwise you are seeing 17lbs of boost and this thing should be booking. I did 9.6 on a mix of 93/104, you are on e85 and it should be equivalent to 104 and so you may have a lot more timing than me. However your 60' is telling. Get that into the 1.4x range and you'll get your 9s pass.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I just threw up on myself and needs a tooth pick fer my nose,,, so Laurie can text me again. How about The Hickster Thread before I start on the shine?? Damn frogs r driven me to drink. Like I need an excuse with the critterns on Capital Dummy Hill. My Dealer shits are look in good at this point of a heah Maybe Speedy with Hickster in tow as a spokes person. Like he needs 1. Speedster is din jut fine where he is. I am a dremer jurst the way I am I am on the rail home sweet home. On the silver screen on my way on the way home sweet home. Geetar in the way.

OP
yellow_hellcat

yellow_hellcat

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lincoln
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #60
Here is what I can see in a similar spot to where your screenshot comes from. I am not sure what "Total Spark Correction" is and if that means it is pulling 12°?

Aircharge temp is up there for sure.

1651379697418.png

Last edited: