Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Finally made it. We're doing Hot Rod Drag Week 2023!

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Took a year of trying to get into different events. 2nd try for HRDW. Actually made it off the wait list last year but had to decline. Missed Rocky Mountain Drag Week 1.0 and 2.0 this year...

We'll be taking the charger hellcat with a 4x8 enclosed. Doubt I'll bother with the quickjacks but I have a generator and pancake compressor on board already.

My biggest issues are gonna be safety equipment and licensing. Local tracks all switched to WDRA. I'll have 4 months to get it and then apply to NHRA/IHRA. Need a new helmet. Gotta get the driveshaft loop installed.

Also gotta do the cradle lockouts once the car gets back from Allpar.

The hard part is done. We got ticket confirmation. Just gotta arrange hotels start the checklist.

What should I contemplate carrying for spares? Axles maybe? I'm on stock hellcat stuff...I have a 2nd set of radials, bead breaker, etc. I dunno. Thoughts?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Congrats! It appears tickets went on sale today? I have been online in the past and within 5 minutes it sold out. Get your hotels reservations ASAP

What are your expectations as far as what class you are going to run?
Our track went WDRA also so not sure what will change, it was IHRA. I got my NHRA license at the NMCA event for street 9.0 last year. You have already run 9s so what do you think you need for safety equipment you don't already have?

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
What’s that 4x8 enclosed weight? Height?
Considering the quickjacks I would think about it this way - will they make your life easier and under which circumstances would they be most valuable. If those most valuable circumstances are NOT ones you would consider coming back from (blown motor/tranny) then lugging them around may not be worth it. Changing axles with some stands and a jack would be fine. They store flat, could be probably stored under the trailer (if you made accommodations to do so) but they’re not light.
Congrats on getting in and representing the family!

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Took a year of trying to get into different events. 2nd try for HRDW. Actually made it off the wait list last year but had to decline. Missed Rocky Mountain Drag Week 1.0 and 2.0 this year...

We'll be taking the charger hellcat with a 4x8 enclosed. Doubt I'll bother with the quickjacks but I have a generator and pancake compressor on board already.

My biggest issues are gonna be safety equipment and licensing. Local tracks all switched to WDRA. I'll have 4 months to get it and then apply to NHRA/IHRA. Need a new helmet. Gotta get the driveshaft loop installed.

Also gotta do the cradle lockouts once the car gets back from Allpar.

The hard part is done. We got ticket confirmation. Just gotta arrange hotels start the checklist.

What should I contemplate carrying for spares? Axles maybe? I'm on stock hellcat stuff...I have a 2nd set of radials, bead breaker, etc. I dunno. Thoughts?
The Hellcat guys at Sick Week all ran 93 tunes. They were running in the 11s, and didn't pull a trailer. That's the simpler way to do it.

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
Congrats! It appears tickets went on sale today? I have been online in the past and within 5 minutes it sold out. Get your hotels reservations ASAP

What are your expectations as far as what class you are going to run?
Our track went WDRA also so not sure what will change, it was IHRA. I got my NHRA license at the NMCA event for street 9.0 last year. You have already run 9s so what do you think you need for safety equipment you don't already have?
I believe I still qualify for Street Race (small block power adder) - as long as the 315/50 are under 11.5" at the tread patch - if not I need to step down to a 305 or run one of the applicable classes.

They sold out in a few minutes again. I was in right at 9:00am

I for sure need a new helmet as mine isn't SA rated. Track last year was unclear as to what standard jacket/pants or if I even need them. Also the driveshaft loop since I have a one piece with ujoints.

What’s that 4x8 enclosed weight? Height?
Considering the quickjacks I would think about it this way - will they make your life easier and under which circumstances would they be most valuable. If those most valuable circumstances are NOT ones you would consider coming back from (blown motor/tranny) then lugging them around may not be worth it. Changing axles with some stands and a jack would be fine. They store flat, could be probably stored under the trailer (if you made accommodations to do so) but they’re not light.
Congrats on getting in and representing the family!
4x8 is 4ft tall and about 600lbs I believe? Loaded down I can't imagine being more than 1500lbs either way.

I wouldn't be able to service a motor or transmission at the track or in a parking lot. I've used them for tire changes and it seems like it takes more time to set up than swap everything over. Ditching them probably saves me 150lbs.

Yeah. Hotels are gonna be hammered out by Monday. I gotta see if there's a specific requirement or checkpoints I need to hit and relation to them.

Last edited:
OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
The Hellcat guys at Sick Week all ran 93 tunes. They were running in the 11s, and didn't pull a trailer. That's the simpler way to do it.
I've gone 3hrs round trip to the track pulling this loadout on the E85 kill tune. Averages about 10.5mpg doing so. If I can supply enough E85 I'd like to stay on it but that's unlikely. I can carry 25gal of E85 on board for the track and would need a way to switch fuels for the track (plus containers to store it)...so the drain kit with relay since I have 18+ rails and 3 more jugs or a tank of some sort.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Unless you can go 8.50 it will be hard to win that class (and it doesn't sound like you have a car that is certified to run 8s) give it a softer launch so you likely won't break anything. Besides helmet you need a SFI jacket. I bought a double layer but rules say you only need a single. If I were to go not sure I would even bring a trailer. Rear wheels would be only thing I would be changing at the track. I have an aluminum jack so easy to load in car. Our TAXIs have lots of room

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
Unless you can go 8.50 it will be hard to win that class (and it doesn't sound like you have a car that is certified to run 8s) give it a softer launch so you likely won't break anything. Besides helmet you need a SFI jacket. I bought a double layer but rules say you only need a single. If I were to go not sure I would even bring a trailer. Rear wheels would be only thing I would be changing at the track. I have an aluminum jack so easy to load in car. Our TAXIs have lots of room
The 315s are exceedingly hard to fit inside the car. I could get almost all of the tools I need in the trunk though.

The quickest I have been able to pilot this car is 9.97 with a 1.62 60 ft despite it being fully capable of a shitload more. So you're right.. no way I'd dip 8's and absolutely no where close to 8.50. I could probably get off super easy if I could figure out a formula to basically bracket at 10.0 (negating the need for licensure and most safety equipment but I just don't race enough normally to figure that out. I'd rather just be ready.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
The 315s are exceedingly hard to fit inside the car. I could get almost all of the tools I need in the trunk though.

The quickest I have been able to pilot this car is 9.97 with a 1.62 60 ft despite it being fully capable of a shitload more. So you're right.. no way I'd dip 8's and absolutely no where close to 8.50. I could probably get off super easy if I could figure out a formula to basically bracket at 10.0 (negating the need for licensure and most safety equipment but I just don't race enough normally to figure that out. I'd rather just be ready.
They have a 10.0 daily driver class. Don't know the DA you went 9.97 in but if it was good you probably will not go that fast during drag week

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
They have a 10.0 daily driver class. Don't know the DA you went 9.97 in but if it was good you probably will not go that fast during drag week
I would have to go look it up but I want to say it was ~2000 DA. I'll be making my own DA this year though. IC Chiller with bumper tank.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Some tracks don't hook well so by leaving softer you will hook, not break stuff and should be able to run close to 10.00. Trying to compete in that may be more fun then trying to go a little faster

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Until you get out and make some passes this year I guess you really don't know where you are at yet

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
Until you get out and make some passes this year I guess you really don't know where you are at yet
Unfortunate reality is exactly this. I should have the car back 3rd week of April and plan to hit things hard to figure it out.

I'm going regardless. Either way I can check one off the bucket list.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I've gone 3hrs round trip to the track pulling this loadout on the E85 kill tune. Averages about 10.5mpg doing so. If I can supply enough E85 I'd like to stay on it but that's unlikely. I can carry 25gal of E85 on board for the track and would need a way to switch fuels for the track (plus containers to store it)...so the drain kit with relay since I have 18+ rails and 3 more jugs or a tank of some sort.
Is the VP truck going to be there?

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
Is the VP truck going to be there?
Good question. I'm tuned on pump E85 and Curt suggested a minimum Ethanol content of 75-80 to run the spicy tune I have.

Both tune files will be getting updated at Allpar. I suspect we'll be picking up 1-2* with the chiller and then ~10-20hp at this level with headers/exhaust.

I've been wanting to try something like Ignite to mix/switch to at the track. If VP's E85 fuels are comparable that would be nice.

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
Hotels were all booked this morning.

Best part? 0 dollars thanks to all the Honors Points I accumulated during the extended covidhoax crap being in single rooms and transporting equipment to/from Texas. Score.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Good question. I'm tuned on pump E85 and Curt suggested a minimum Ethanol content of 75-80 to run the spicy tune I have.

Both tune files will be getting updated at Allpar. I suspect we'll be picking up 1-2* with the chiller and then ~10-20hp at this level with headers/exhaust.

I've been wanting to try something like Ignite to mix/switch to at the track. If VP's E85 fuels are comparable that would be nice.
I would check with the organizers about the availability of fuel, just to be sure.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Just call. Someone always cancels their reservation.

Hotels were all booked this morning.

Best part? 0 dollars thanks to all the Honors Points I accumulated during the extended covidhoax crap being in single rooms and transporting equipment to/from Texas. Score.

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
Just call. Someone always cancels their reservation.
If I hadn't banked all those points for 2 years I may have been more frugal...but I literally paid 0 dollars for 5 nights. Even if they end up 20 miles off route I'm still ahead overall.

I'm dropping the car off at Allpar Garage this Friday at 9am for the chiller, bumper tank, blower spacers, blanket, long tubes, catback, plugs and tuning...plus anything else that pops up. Estimated to take 2 weeks but I can only do pickup every 3rd week because of my work schedule. They'll have plenty of time.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
We've done a couple different tours and being 20-30 miles from the next destination hasn't been an issue.

You drive directly to it after your last checkpoint and then just go out to the track in the morning.

You'll see plenty of racers where you're staying.