Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Have you experienced the shift hiccup issue with your Redeye?

Have you experienced the shift hiccup issue with your Redeye?

• Total voters

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I don't understand how some Redeyes have the issue and some don't. How can the calibration be different from one Redeye to the next ???
Anything you do to make the car accelerate faster will most likely cause this. I think they dropped the conservative nature of the calibration (Hellcats typically shifted early on the 1-2 shift). So if you take weight out, have a 3.09 gear, and YES, have more stock power you are more likely to have this problem. Remember, the ONLY time my car made the 1-2 shift on time ESP was active and was reducing power. Gee, I saw that on the Data Log. Things are happening faster and the car just can't get it done in time. I will say that I am pretty sure my car would have hiccupped even with all the weight added back in and with a stock diameter tire. Remember I had a taller rear tire which should have helped this issue.

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
Ok, now we have all this secrecy? You think you are the only one that knows how to read a data log and tune a car? Just so you know I was data logging my car and I can read the logs just fine. So, I KNOW what it was doing and when.

Then you contradict yourself. You say stop blaming the car, but then you will help solve the issue? Does not make sense. Either there is an issue and there is something wrong with the car or there is not. If I am correct you are going to read the data log and if there is no perceved traction loss causing the hiccup, then you are going to command the 1-2 shift 100 rpm earlier. Only thing is, that would have not even come close to fixing my car. It would have taken more like 300-400 rpm earlier to get my car down the track without a hiccup. And then you act like any one of us can change the tune and shift sooner. I am not 100% sure but I don't think you have just one field with the 1-2 shift command value that you can take the factory setting and chang it to whatever you want. There are many tables that have to be re written and you have to know what you are doing.

The car is promoted in such a way as to include drag racing. So, it should go down the track without this mess (shift hiccup). None of us want our cars to do this. In fact it was alluded to me that the cause of the shift hiccup was me changing things on the car including the tires. So, your theory is completely wrong as far as Dodge is concerned. They want the car on the stock tires and the shift hiccup would be even worse. So they designed the car to crash into the rev limiter and go down the track all herky jerky.

Also keep in mind, your secret fix will restrict or void the warranty. Of course it should not hurt anything as you know but if they find out that will be the result.

And once again you are peddling a modification to the car to "solve this issue". Well, maybe some of us want to buy the car and throw on some drag radials and make some passes. Just like the one before, and the one before that and the one before that and they all worked just fine on the race track.
Here you go spreading your misinformation again. And there is so much of it ...more than I'm gonna waste my time with but I'll address a few of your claims. Get your X's and angry faces ready and let me set you straight again:
1. Nothing about datalogging voids or restricts any warranty. The adjustment on a stock car involves the driver and setup , not adjustments to the factory tune. If the car is already tuned ...your allegation is moot in addition to being false based on your lack of understanding that the remedy does not entail altering the stock tune.
2. How is the car promoted? It doesn't say anywhere ...in any marketing materials... That anyone will be able to get one of these down the track with drag radials. I believe they promoted the car as being able to run 10.80 in widebody form with stock tires. Your "shift hiccup" is the product of how the car is setup and driven-not a problem with the car itself.
3. You are wrong about this on so many levels and your unwillingness to consider that the problem lies in the driver or setup ,and not the car, shows your ignorance around the matter. You're one of main guys on her spreading misinformation about these cars. That misinformation needs to be addressed with facts so that folks don't get the wrong idea about these cars.

While you may be beyond help, i'm not offering help to you or anyone who doesnt want it...only to others able to have an open mind and be serious about addressing this and becoming a better driver in the process. Not everyone subscribes to your BS about a defective car after the dealer tells them it's operating as designed. I've already solved this but since you have all the answers, just move on and find another car to blame. And yes, the answer will not be public specifically because of you and your attitude.

You don't want me commenting on your posts. I expect the same from you. Stay in your own lane.

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I don't wanna get in to the debate on how to fix the issue, but I think I'd have put a tune on the car and voided the warranty before I realized even a perceived $9200 loss. Bump the cutoff 200 RPM and go have fun never to hiccup again. Do Redeyes have warranty coverage for track breakage?

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
I don't wanna get in to the debate on how to fix the issue, but I think I'd have put a tune on the car and voided the warranty before I realized even a perceived $9200 loss. Bump the cutoff 200 RPM and go have fun never to hiccup again. Do Redeyes have warranty coverage for track breakage?
Redeyes do not have any specific warranty coverage for track breakage. We've all heard stories about warranty claims for track breakage being approved or denied varying by dealer, owner, and circumstance.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
So that's more reason to just tune it out. The car's not covered anyway for racing.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Here you go spreading your misinformation again. And there is so much of it ...more than I'm gonna waste my time with but I'll address a few of your claims. Get your X's and angry faces ready and let me set you straight again:
1. Nothing about datalogging voids or restricts any warranty. The adjustment on a stock car involves the driver and setup , not adjustments to the factory tune. If the car is already tuned ...your allegation is moot in addition to being false based on your lack of understanding that the remedy does not entail altering the stock tune.
2. How is the car promoted? It doesn't say anywhere ...in any marketing materials... That anyone will be able to get one of these down the track with drag radials. I believe they promoted the car as being able to run 10.80 in widebody form with stock tires. Your "shift hiccup" is the product of how the car is setup and driven-not a problem with the car itself.
3. You are wrong about this on so many levels and your unwillingness to consider that the problem lies in the driver or setup ,and not the car, shows your ignorance around the matter. You're one of main guys on her spreading misinformation about these cars. That misinformation needs to be addressed with facts so that folks don't get the wrong idea about these cars.

While you may be beyond help, i'm not offering help to you or anyone who doesnt want it...only to others able to have an open mind and be serious about addressing this and becoming a better driver in the process. Not everyone subscribes to your BS about a defective car after the dealer tells them it's operating as designed. I've already solved this but since you have all the answers, just move on and find another car to blame. And yes, the answer will not be public specifically because of you and your attitude.

You don't want me commenting on your posts. I expect the same from you. Stay in your own lane.
I never said Data Logging voids the warranty. Make all the assumptions you like. But your suggestion to me to lower my shift RPM 100 will void the warranty if Dodge finds out about it. That would be altering the TCM calibration. I mistakenly assumed your secret way to solve this issue was the same as what you posted for me.

Yes the Dodge web site has videos linked showing owners with drag radials on their cars at the drag strip. I think if Dodge thought this was a NoNo they would not show that video. Owners have been drag racing these car from DAY ONE with drag radials. ANYBODY that is serious about making a pass installs them. In fact I have never made a pass on stock tires on my own car. I do beleive that for the 2015 Hellcat an expected performance was published for OEM tires and one for Drag Radials. Maybe I am wrong.

Exactly what am I doing wrong with my driving and setup? How could you possibly know? You are so incredible in your assumptions.

If you really have a fix then you should post it publicly. To say you know what the fix is and not prove it is lame.

I was kind of hoping you would take the comment you made to Bull seriously for your own self and ..............

You say you were personally assulted by a thin skinned person. Assulted? Now what a better contradiction. You are good at that. If I was to really get after you it would be much worse. I was just so tired of your nonsense I decided to take the time and stick up for myself. You commented how it took me 3 or 4 days to give you a angry face reaction. Well I don't always have time for you and your put downs. Now that I found out what it takes to get banned I am going to be relentless.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Here the $9200 is actual. You cannot carry your basis over when you trade in. I do not really mean to give the impression that I hate the car and so on. I was in the process of tuning the hiccup out. But it really got to me how I was treated by FCA and then they came out with the Super Stock. When you add that together I decided I could not enjoy the car the way I wanted to. I am honest and I know I would get my but kicked on the money. For your info, I am pretty sure the rev limits were raised and that did not immediately fix the problem. I also talked to David on the phone and he had another idea. I kind of agree with his idea. So, I had to completely change directions with the tuning, or basically start over. Anyhow I realised I really did not want to going through all the process of tuning the car etc etc. I never really signed up for that so to speak.

It's EXTREMELY rare, but what if it kicked a rod out going to the grocery store? Yes, with the RedEye anything that happens while racing is NOT covered. I 100% know/knew that. The warranty actually goes on to stat that anything that is DISCOVERED while racing is not covered........Like a Hiccup. Of course my car did just as good if not worse hiccup on the street as I found out.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Your "shift hiccup" is the product of how the car is setup and driven-not a problem with the car itself.
I don't necessarily agree with you here. I feel like my Redeye shifts a little abnormal, they just feel junky at times compared with what the ZF should do. I do a lot of my WOT driving with the paddle shifters while in D so the car will auto upshift at redline and I will try to drive it a little more in D for a while to feel it out some and see if there's a difference.

I wish our local track could open this year, I'd love to go make some passes with in-car video because IMO you really notice it there when your senses are heightened.

I didn't plan on tuning this car anytime soon, but may consider going that route in the future. I will be waiting to hear what my dealer tells me about my logs being viewed by some engineer, as far as I know I am the only person who has actually taken their car into the dealer to attempt to have this documented other than Ron. I do expect to hear that the car is operating as designed. That doesn't mean it shifts as crisply as other Hellcats I've been in. You did watch Ron's Demon vs. Redeye at the trip video didn't you? I mean there's a clear difference. I believe he was racing in track mode in D, paddles not enabled.

I mean it's a really f'in awesome car 98% of the time, you don't really need much more out of a car. I bought an extended warranty from my local dealer who I have a really good relationship with and they implied they would basically fix anything I broke on it racing or wherever as long as I was still on the stock tune.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
So that's more reason to just tune it out. The car's not covered anyway for racing.
I agree that's true, but they actually will warranty a lot it the car is on the stock tune - especially if you have a good relationship with your dealer.

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
I never said Data Logging voids the warranty. Make all the assumptions you like. But your suggestion to me to lower my shift RPM 100 will void the warranty if Dodge finds out about it. That would be altering the TCM calibration. I mistakenly assumed your secret way to solve this issue was the same as what you posted for me.

Yes the Dodge web site has videos linked showing owners with drag radials on their cars at the drag strip. I think if Dodge thought this was a NoNo they would not show that video. Owners have been drag racing these car from DAY ONE with drag radials. ANYBODY that is serious about making a pass installs them. In fact I have never made a pass on stock tires on my own car. I do beleive that for the 2015 Hellcat an expected performance was published for OEM tires and one for Drag Radials. Maybe I am wrong.

Exactly what am I doing wrong with my driving and setup? How could you possibly know? You are so incredible in your assumptions.

If you really have a fix then you should post it publicly. To say you know what the fix is and not prove it is lame.

I was kind of hoping you would take the comment you made to Bull seriously for your own self and ..............

You say you were personally assulted by a thin skinned person. Assulted? Now what a better contradiction. You are good at that. If I was to really get after you it would be much worse. I was just so tired of your nonsense I decided to take the time and stick up for myself. You commented how it took me 3 or 4 days to give you a angry face reaction. Well I don't always have time for you and your put downs. Now that I found out what it takes to get banned I am going to be relentless.
Yes that's right. I have the solution and the car is out there proving it every weekend. Anyone beside you who wants it can message me and I'll help them out as I have always done.

You said you weren't interested, so why keep asking? I already tried to help you once and that mistake won't happen again. You didn't get it then and still don't get now. My redeye and those of other owners I've already helped can speak for themselves. They all click off clean shifts in both stock and modified forms. This nonsense dribbling out of your keyboard right now is the exact reason why some one with the answer is speaking up and also the same reason why you won't get the answer as well. You got called out on your BS , got in your feelings and then rushed to sell your car under your made up pretense. I race everywhere, on good tracks and bad ones,with a much smaller tire which will aggravate and amplify any shift issues...yet I don't have them. Is it luck? Did I get a good trans and maybe you got a bad one to go with your alleged hand picked stronger engine? Magic drag radials? Or a better stock tune than you? No, I identified the real issue and addressed it. I didn't need to drop shift points nor did I want to. Prolly for the better that you deleted that 30 pages of dribble you posted after you got called on it. Lol

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
A good relationship I'd hope would also get things covered if you simply tuned it to adjust to cure the issue. Couple of ways to do that and some would actually be reducing settings from OEM not raising them (i.e. less risk to the drive train than OEM).

The problem will be once you know you can tune it LOL. Horse power is worse than crack.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Yes that's right. I have the solution and the car is out there proving it every weekend. Anyone beside you who wants it can message me and I'll help them out as I have always done.

You said you weren't interested, so why keep asking? I already tried to help you once and that mistake won't happen again. You didn't get it then and still don't get now. My redeye and those of other owners I've already helped can speak for themselves. They all click off clean shifts in both stock and modified forms. This nonsense dribbling out of your keyboard right now is the exact reason why some one with the answer is speaking up and also the same reason why you won't get the answer as well. You got called out on your BS , got in your feelings and then rushed to sell your car under your made up pretense. I race everywhere, on good tracks and bad ones,with a much smaller tire which will aggravate and amplify any shift issues...yet I don't have them. Is it luck? Did I get a good trans and maybe you got a bad one to go with your alleged hand picked stronger engine? Magic drag radials? Or a better stock tune than you? No, I identified the real issue and addressed it. I didn't need to drop shift points nor did I want to. Prolly for the better that you deleted that 30 pages of dribble you posted after you got called on it. Lol
Simon, think what you want. I flat out asked you what you thought I was doing wrong, because that is what you claim. I did not ask you how to fix it. You claim it's my setup and how I am driving. Well, you are just playing games. Because you do not KNOW what my setup is or how I was driving it. I called you out and you hide behind your secrecy up on your pedestal. I do not want your secret fix. I am calling you out to provide me the info of exactly what is wrong with my setup and my driving. If you are going to say something then kindly show proof of your knowledge how you know this.

I also have actually seen a 2019 RedEye data log and I have seen my own 2020. So you think you are so skillful and you think you are so smart because you could get your car down the track with your stock tune and a small tire. I know for a fact this is true. I believe you. But it had nothing to do with your amazing skills. I have a News Flash for you. The 2019 Calibration still has that conservative approach from Past Hellcats and shifts to second gear way early. Yes the Data Log I saw from a stock 2019 RedEye commanded the 1-2 shift 500 RPM sooner than my car did. So you are trying to fool everybody and you don't even know your stock calibration is idiot proof and the 2020 calibration is different. Or it's just flat out wrong. I honestly do not care anymore because it's not my problem. Only that I am sorry for all the other 2020 Owners and I have a good Friend that has one on order right now that plans on making some passes with it. Personally there is zero chance I would buy another 2020 RedEye that is not a Super Stock. Even with that car I am uber nervous to buy.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
@EricG based on what I said in previous post, I am betting once you get on a good tire on a prepped surface your car will be fine. I will bet you a Pepsi.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Simon, think what you want. I flat out asked you what you thought I was doing wrong, because that is what you claim. I did not ask you how to fix it. You claim it's my setup and how I am driving. Well, you are just playing games. Because you do not KNOW what my setup is or how I was driving it. I called you out and you hide behind your secrecy up on your pedestal. I do not want your secret fix. I am calling you out to provide me the info of exactly what is wrong with my setup and my driving. If you are going to say something then kindly show proof of your knowledge how you know this.

I also have actually seen a 2019 RedEye data log and I have seen my own 2020. So you think you are so skillful and you think you are so smart because you could get your car down the track with your stock tune and a small tire. I know for a fact this is true. I believe you. But it had nothing to do with your amazing skills. I have a News Flash for you. The 2019 Calibration still has that conservative approach from Past Hellcats and shifts to second gear way early. Yes the Data Log I saw from a stock 2019 RedEye commanded the 1-2 shift 500 RPM sooner than my car did. So you are trying to fool everybody and you don't even know your stock calibration is idiot proof and the 2020 calibration is different. Or it's just flat out wrong. I honestly do not care anymore because it's not my problem. Only that I am sorry for all the other 2020 Owners and I have a good Friend that has one on order right now that plans on making some passes with it. Personally there is zero chance I would buy another 2020 RedEye that is not a Super Stock. Even with that car I am uber nervous to buy.

Did you get any other stock logs from other 2020 Redeyes to confirm that they are shifting at the same rpms as your car?

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Did you get any other stock logs from other 2020 Redeyes to confirm that they are shifting at the same rpms as your car?
Sadly, no. I only had your log and mine. I have no reason to think that either car's calibration is corrupt or anything. Especially since my car went to the dealer twice and I am thinking they checked to see if my calibration was authorized.

I will tell you that of the RedEyes that I KNOW of and have seen first hand that do NOT have a Hiccup on the 1-2 shift are all 19's.

Also keep in mind my car would hiccup 2-3 and even 3-4 on the street due to traction loss, irregular surface etc. as well as the 1-2.

Saying all this, I WOULD buy a 19 RedEye. But not a 2020.
@EricG

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle

Ron,

The FCO on 2020 and 2019 redeye is the same- both at 6500. But lets roll with your fantasyland assumption that 19 redeyes factory trans tune shifts 500 RPM lower than 2020 models... which would also mean that 2020 models have to produce higher horsepower rating to go with the extra RPM...right? Nope same hp in 2019 and 2020 redeye which throws your story out the window.

Your story would also mean that 2019 redeyes shift at 5700-5800 RPM on the 1-2 which is not the case in well driven, properly set up stock PCM/ TCM tune 19 redeye.

Dodge has made thousands of hellcats since 2015 and demons in 2018- both with 200-300 rpm of headroom below the FCO. Dodge didnt just decide in 2020 that they only needed 100-150 RPM headroom in a production car so it wont hit the limiter and nose over. Do you really think they ( Or I ) am that stupid?

If the car is running the stock PCM/TCM tune, driver and setup adjustments based on certain log data can remedy the issue. If the car has a trans tune, you will need to lower the shift points to provide enough headroom to clear the FCO.

Either way, I had the solution.

The timing of your actions on that thread is curious though. Especially since the same day I posted that the trans could be tuned without unlocking the PCM and that you lower your shift points as a test- you went off the handle, deleted all 30+ pages worth of your posts and sold the car privately in less than a week. Maybe it was coincidence... IDC either way since I was just trying to help you resolve your issue at the time.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I know when I do massive burnouts on the street and leave the shifter in "D" it will blow pass the shifts every time .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I know when I do massive burnouts on the street and leave the shifter in "D" it will blow pass the shifts every time .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
Do you mean hiccup or just blip into the next gear like it should?

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Ron,

The FCO on 2020 and 2019 redeye is the same- both at 6500. But lets roll with your fantasyland assumption that 19 redeyes factory trans tune shifts 500 RPM lower than 2020 models... which would also mean that 2020 models have to produce higher horsepower rating to go with the extra RPM...right? Nope same hp in 2019 and 2020 redeye which throws your story out the window.

Your story would also mean that 2019 redeyes shift at 5700-5800 RPM on the 1-2 which is not the case in well driven, properly set up stock PCM/ TCM tune 19 redeye.

Dodge has made thousands of hellcats since 2015 and demons in 2018- both with 200-300 rpm of headroom below the FCO. Dodge didnt just decide in 2020 that they only needed 100-150 RPM headroom in a production car so it wont hit the limiter and nose over. Do you really think they ( Or I ) am that stupid?

If the car is running the stock PCM/TCM tune, driver and setup adjustments based on certain log data can remedy the issue. If the car has a trans tune, you will need to lower the shift points to provide enough headroom to clear the FCO.

Either way, I had the solution.

The timing of your actions on that thread is curious though. Especially since the same day I posted that the trans could be tuned without unlocking the PCM and that you lower your shift points as a test- you went off the handle, deleted all 30+ pages worth of your posts and sold the car privately in less than a week. Maybe it was coincidence... IDC either way since I was just trying to help you resolve your issue at the time.
OK, now who is smoking crack? The Horsepower rating and where the transmission shifts are completely not related. There is ZERO correlation. You must be so mad you can't think straight. I'm sorry.

How do you know what Dodge is doing or thinking? You work for Dodge now? Plus, as I have said, just maybe they screwed up the Calibration. Another thing you just cannot comprehend and they would never admit.

What makes you so sure that I was not aware that lowering my shift points would fix the problem? It's common knowledge that if the car is running into the Rev limiter you either raise the rev limit or lower the shift rpm. You completely make up this story to fit what you want as you go along. You have a LONG history of putting words in my mouth.

I posted what I was doing with the car and there are no secrets. I also posted why I sold the car. I also posted why I trashed that thread and that is all out there. So, what is your point? Yes you coming in there and pissing me off (offended me was the nicer way of saying this) was the TRIGGER. It was not the main reason so don’t flatter yourself. I also posted this. So, again, what is your point?

Once again, you think you are the only one that can set up a car and drive it? All these other owners are dumb?

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US