Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellraiser pulley install...FAIL?!!!

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I ended up getting a new pulley from litens and it is on my car now ....and it's working great

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #102
FYI this is the decoupled tool for the hellraiser I bought and hope to be able to use for pulley swapping
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-27261
Brother, if that kit works for you, you are waaaay ahead of the game! But that said I see a few definite and some probable issues.
1) The original pulley hex size is 24mm so the 22mm in the kit wont work. If they sell more sizes that'd be great and solve that problem. The 17mm is good to go, BUT in my opinion there's not enough meat on any of those allen inserts to engage (slip deep enough inside) the pulley and leave enough hanging out and bite with a wrench or socket. These pulleys are "on there" and don't come off that easily. You need good engagement.
2)My 10mm allen wrench has a 3/8" drive attached on the end and is able to get a 3/8" breaker bar or ratchet on there. Again some fairly good size and bite on the subject at hand (and even that's not a 1/2'' drive). Those ends on the kit's extended allen bits look barely bigger or the same size as the allen bit itself which would lead me to believe it's 1/4" drive?
Again if this kit works, hats off to you. And you just saved yourself and others a whole bunch of work and aggrevation!!!

Last edited:
OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #103
I ended up getting a new pulley from litens and it is on my car now ....and it's working great

Well isn't that special. Thanks for rubbing it in. :LOL:.
I got mine on there too, and also...so far so good. Dropped off for tune yesterday.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #104

Any updates on the build? haven't gotten any alerts lately on my watched threads.

Purrfect

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger
Brother, if that kit works for you, you are waaaay ahead of the game! But that said I see a few definite and some probable issues.
1) The original pulley hex size is 24mm so the 22mm in the kit wont work. If they sell more sizes that'd be great and solve that problem. The 17mm is good to go, BUT in my opinion there's not enough meat on any of those allen inserts to engage (slip deep enough inside) the pulley and leave enough hanging out and bite with a wrench or socket. These pulleys are "on there" and don't come off that easily. You need good engagement.
2)My 10mm allen wrench has a 3/8" drive attached on the end and is able to get a 3/8" breaker bar or ratchet on there. Again some fairly good size and bite on the subject at hand (and even that's not a 1/2'' drive). Those ends on the kit's extended allen bits look barely bigger or the same size as the allen bit itself which would lead me to believe it's 1/4" drive?
Again if this kit works, hats off to you. And you just saved yourself and others a whole bunch of work and aggrevation!!!
Time will tell for sure,I bought it for the 17mm that’s hollowed out for a 10mm to fit through with the thought of using my own 10mm set up to hold the shaft while using something to give leverage or force to the 17-19mm pulley tool…..

I know it works for gm,and other makes alternators,as the Litens pullies are not a new thing.

I do have one for the larger 24mm also,but would like to be able to swap pullies between a 3.17,and 2.85,but reality may be the 2.85 is the one that stays on the car..

Thanks for the input for sure!

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #106
Time will tell for sure,I bought it for the 17mm that’s hollowed out for a 10mm to fit through with the thought of using my own 10mm set up to hold the shaft while using something to give leverage or force to the 17-19mm pulley tool…..

I know it works for gm,and other makes alternators,as the Litens pullies are not a new thing.

I do have one for the larger 24mm also,but would like to be able to swap pullies between a 3.17,and 2.85,but reality may be the 2.85 is the one that stays on the car..

Where the hell were you a couple of months ago!:LOL:

My reasons for the quick change shaft are the same as you. I have the 3.17 for 93 tune (being done now) but would like to get a 2.85 for an E85 tune and swap pulleys fairly quickly. The last pulley change from the stock 3.35 to the Hellraiser 3.17 was a dream. No more lifting the blower, 32 bolts, undoing the snout, attaching the Metco shaft holding tool, etc. Pop the hood, move the upper radiator hose, pop and swap the pulley, and presto more boost. 20minutes!

Purrfect

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger
Where the hell were you a couple of months ago!:LOL:

My reasons for the quick change shaft are the same as you. I have the 3.17 for 93 tune (being done now) but would like to get a 2.85 for an E85 tune and swap pulleys fairly quickly. The last pulley change from the stock 3.35 to the Hellraiser 3.17 was a dream. No more lifting the blower, 32 bolts, undoing the snout, attaching the Metco shaft holding tool, etc. Pop the hood, move the upper radiator hose, pop and swap the pulley, and presto more boost. 20minutes!
Sorry buddy 😂

Been trying to get my ducks in a row,or at least my squirrels in the same tree lol for my flex tune blah blah blah.

Oh,and look into this for your cooling/thermostat housing clearance situation.
https://www.modernmusclextreme.com/...-housing-relocation-plate-by-tba-machine.aspx

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #108

OK. Looked into this a little further. You can get one of these kits anywhere from basic set to full on total set with a lot of fittings, for anywhere between @$25 to @$50. Now this is the thing. If you can get the fittings you need of the large hex nuts (the 17mm and 24mm) with the holes already made through them for the allen head bit to hold the shaft in one kit (and from the full kits I've seen it looks like you can) YOU ARE WAY AHEAD OF THE GAME. The only thing I found complexing is that all the kits have torx heads and allen head bits to choose from for different applications. But not one kit (not one one of them!) offers the 10mm allen bit ,the one you need, with a 3/8" drive attached. The smaller torx heads and even the smaller allen bit options are all offered with the 3/8" drive!??
So my recommend is buy the full kit. Take out the hex nuts that work and chuck the rest. Then buy a separate dedicated 10mm allen bit with the 3/8" drive like I did in this thread and have your own specialized Litens pulley removal kit. Even at $50 for the kit and $10-$20 just for the 10mm allen with the 3/8" drive it's worth it. You do not want to make the specialized nuts like I did!