Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

I drove a Challenger Widebody 392 for the first time yesterday

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
This particular WB is up for sale a local Dodge dealership. It's a 2020 50th model with 2587 miles on it. I've been considering letting go of my 5.7 R/T in-favor of a 6.4 R/T (SRT powered) for the last several weeks. By the way Scat Pack owners talk over on the Challenger T and Z forums, I was expecting a hell of a lot more out of the 392 HEMI. I ran it at WOT in all drive modes... I would describe it as mildly more powerful than my 5.7 R/T. Maybe it's the weight, I don't know? I'm not a fan of the wide body ride either. With its 305 tires, it's almost truck-like in terms of feel. A Dodge salesman forewarned me of this, and he was spot-on. It's a nice looking car, but, my traditional body R/T is a superior handling vehicle. The only plus I can give the 392 WB, is its cornering. 410 ft-lb vs 475 ft-lb torque isn't a huge lead, so I wasn't expecting CJ429 brutality, obviously. If I do decide to go with the 392, it will surely be a traditional body M6 model.

My mind is now leaning toward fortifying my 5.7 w/forged internals and a supercharger. That, or twin turbos. I've never driven a Hellcat, and I don't expect to own one; due to insurance costs and persistent babysitting. My area is one of the worst for Hellcat thefts. Scat Pack's are also a favorite amongst thieves, so that's another reason to modify my 345 R/T. Install a Banks Pedal Monster (or similar device) on a 345 R/T, and prepare for a great ride! Which reminds me... The 392 R/T most definitely has a more responsive throttle vs the 345 R/T. I'm talking about average driving, not WOT.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Obviously not the same Apples to Apples, but the difference between our 5.7 Durango and our 6.4 Durango is pretty substantial. I'm surprised that you didn't have a similar experience in the Challenger??

Our 5.7 is rated at 345hp I think, with the 6.4 being at 475hp, it's a distinct difference.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
At 345 hp, your 5.7 Durango is a pre 2009 model. 2009+ 5.7 VVT (Durango) is rated at 390 hp.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
my traditional body R/T is a superior handling vehicle. The only plus I can give the 392 WB, is its cornering.
?? - Please explain the difference between "cornering" and "handling" .....guess I'm not getting it.

I've owned 4 different Challengers. My first was a '09 R/T with the 5.7 5 speed auto , and it was a nice car the whole time I had it. Then the 392's came out in 2011 with 100 more HP (470) and more TQ than the 5.7. -But it could only be had with the SRT8 model (no SP back then). I went to a local dealer and test drove a brand new '11 392 SRT8 with a 6 speed manual in the "Green with Envy" color....and I was not impressed with it. It seemed to me that something was holding the power back the whole time I drove it...maybe torque control?? - not sure. But ...IMO, the handling was MUCH better than my R/T, and I could tell immediately the suspension was much more performance oriented. The car didn't lean nearly as much on the same highway exit ramp I took the R/T on to get to the dealer. It did take bumps a bit harsher than the R/T, but I kind of expect that trade-off for better handling/cornering. - But to be fair, they didn't have different modes for suspension, trans or steering back then....

Right after that test drive, I noticed they had another one on the lot. A '11 SRT8 in Billet with black stripes and an automatic. So I test drove that car.....The power comparison was like night and day between the manual and auto...the auto seemed to have much more power than the 6 speed did, and a lot more than the 5.7. -I ended up buying that car and had it until the end of 2015 when the HC I ordered finally arrived at the dealer.

I understand your situation with car thefts in your location, but you may want to reconsider beefing up your current R/T or getting a 392 or HC until you have a safe place you can keep the car. Your R/T may also become a target for thieves once you put a blower on it.

Last edited:

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My 15 R/T Challenger had 375 HP, my 16 Scat Challenger with the 392 had 485 HP. Absolutely noticable difference.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
I'll best test driving a traditional body SP this weekend. Maybe there's something up with the one I drove? I noticed that the system was hanging up when switching between drive modes. Mainly the steering.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Good for you taking a ride in the WB 392 and actually modding the 5.7 is a great idea. I have personally run 5.7 Hemis in my 392 cars and I have now owned 3 of them. And I can honestly say the 392 blows away the 5.7 Hemi. It’s not even close but not bashing your car and yeh mod the Hemi for sure😁

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
?? - Please explain the difference between "cornering" and "handling" .....guess I'm not getting it.
Roll, steering, braking, cornering... The WB has less body roll, but doesn't lead into the turns as fast; due to its wide tires. If I were hammering it out on a course, the WB would be the one. For DD and straight-line, traditional body for sure.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Good for you taking a ride in the WB 392 and actually modding the 5.7 is a great idea. I have personally run 5.7 Hemis in my 392 cars and I have now owned 3 of them. And I can honestly say the 392 blows away the 5.7 Hemi. It’s not even close but not bashing your car and yeh mod the Hemi for sure😁
:rolleyes: A dubious claim, since the 6.4 HEMI is only .9 sec faster than the 5.7 HEMI. "...392 blows them away..." :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
:rolleyes: A dubious claim, since the 6.4 HEMI is only .9 sec faster than the 5.7 HEMI. "...392 blows them away...":ROFLMAO:
Ok ok maybe I exaggerated but lol I roll raced a 5.7 Hemi Charger against my 392 and no lie even I was blown away how much faster I was. We did it two times to see why or what maybe happened.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
~130mph = ~190ft/sec * .9sec = 170ft

170ft/16.5ft = 10+ car lengths

10 car lengths is a decent size gap...

Just saying...

; )

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Ive had 5.7 and 6.4. Both auto. 6.4 was substantially better in every way. I’d much rather a stock 6.4 than a built 5.7. Just my opinion.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
A 5.7 R/T owner who races at Bithlo routinely beats 6.4 R/T's. Word has it that he's not running any form of boost. A cam, lightweight flywheel, gearing, custom tuned headers and exhaust may just be the ticket for NA.

Last edited:
OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
Ive had 5.7 and 6.4. Both auto. 6.4 was substantially better in every way. I’d much rather a stock 6.4 than a built 5.7. Just my opinion.
~130mph = ~190ft/sec * .9sec = 170ft

170ft/16.5ft = 10+ car lengths

10 car lengths is a decent size gap...

Just saying...

; )
As I said, the 392 feels more powerful, just not the 'demon from hell' that some make it out to be. I knew they were talking BS... I needed to check it out for myself. The way head unit was acting, I'm not satisfied that the car was running properly. I need to drive another.

Doublewide

Member ID
Reactions
City
Little Rock
State
AR
Country
United States
The difference between a 5.7 vs a 6.4 is substantial. If you seriously didn't notice much of a difference, your butt dyno is broken or something was wrong with the scat. The difference is almost as close to as dramatic as going from scat to hellcat.

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
Most comments are power based and I understand why.. We're MOPAR fans.. You mentioned WB vs NB and tire width and "truck like" . I agree with you but would offer up that once you give it a few drives, the wide stance grows on you and odd feeling goes away. I'm 315's on all corners and although I can sometimes feel it at low speeds, at higher cornering, no difference and I know that I have increased contact patch.

Different isn't always wrong.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
The difference between a 5.7 vs a 6.4 is substantial. If you seriously didn't notice much of a difference, your butt dyno is broken or something was wrong with the scat. The difference is almost as close to as dramatic as going from scat to hellcat.
Yeah, I need to drive a couple more. The way the head unit was hanging-up between drive modes was weird. Is there a huge difference in (392) acceleration with TC on vs TC off? TC is off when in Track mode, correct?

I was expecting to have my socks knocked-off, but this wasn't like that at all. It felt a bit more torquey, a bit more acceleration, but that's it. White-smoking the rears was out of the question.

Last edited:
OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
If I were going Procharger, I'd likely just stick with the 5.7 + 275's on the rear + LSD. Is 10.9 compression (392) not a bit extreme for applying boost?
Seemed like people were boosting the 392's within a year of their release. I've heard you can go up to about 6 pounds of boost safely on a stock engine with premium gas. I've even heard of people pressing their luck and going to 8 pounds of boost....I wouldn't go that far myself.

EDIT: They were using the Magnuson blowers, but I noticed it's for 2011- 2014 6.4 models....maybe things changed after that?
https://mxamotorsports.com/product/magnuson-superchargers-dodge-6-4l-v8-hemi-supercharger-system/

Last edited:

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
my 392 Yellow Jacket was a beast it it's own right. never run it against another Mopar. but it dinned on a couple SS camaro's and Gt mustangs!