Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

I'm going to have to drive in the rain.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Who was the dude that drove his Demon daily in the winter? If that car is fine in shitty and snowy weather, your car will be fine in the rain.
yep Buddyg the car is in Austin, Texas now

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Are Redeyes paint and tires made of sugar? Sorry, had to :)
looking at some of the comments they must be. My car was driven in the rain for hours driving it home after I bought it. Mine is a daily driver and will see lots of rain:)

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
looking at some of the comments they must be. My car was driven in the rain for hours driving it home after I bought it. Mine is a daily driver and will see lots of rain:)
yeah....but that's because you have the "hard shell finish"

turtle wax.jpg

:p

OP
SDREDEYE

SDREDEYE

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Octane Red HC WB Redeye
Thread Starter #24
Thanks guys. I wasn't really worried about it until I looked just to be sure, and there is nothing between the nostril and the air filter. Honestly, I'm going to more annoyed by all the crap that gets on it but that's why we do PPF and ceramic right?

OP
SDREDEYE

SDREDEYE

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #25
I daily mine every day it's not raining. lol
I knew there would be some jabs just from asking but I can see it taking in a lot of water in this VA rain.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I wouldn’t risk it.
If you don’t just uber you’ll regret it for the rest of your life.
I would know, I pampered mine so much I could only enjoy it 5 days a year.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Thanks guys. I wasn't really worried about it until I looked just to be sure, and there is nothing between the nostril and the air filter. Honestly, I'm going to more annoyed by all the crap that gets on it but that's why we do PPF and ceramic right?
There is a guy on the forum in Maryland that 3d prints caps that snap into that headlight opening to keep things out. That might be a consideration for you.

OP
SDREDEYE

SDREDEYE

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #28
I wouldn’t risk it.
If you don’t just uber you’ll regret it for the rest of your life.
I would know, I pampered mine so much I could only enjoy it 5 days a year.
I'll be getting a weather beater soon enough so it's not a huge deal. It doesn't help that I'm OCD about keeping the car in immaculate condition. The Redeye makes me happy every time I drive it so I'll daily it every chance I get.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
There is a guy on the forum in Maryland that 3d prints caps that snap into that headlight opening to keep things out. That might be a consideration for you.
Caps are standard on lower model challengers. Our R/T isn't open.
Also I didn't catch you had a Redeye. You could make a foam insert to stick into it so water doesn't get through

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 hellcat charger widebody
Ill probably get slammed, but I actually daily my cat. Not to mention, I live at my wifes house (she had it before we met) so her car gets the covered parking and my hellcat has to sleep in the elements. It is ceramic coated, gets washed regularly but I do hope the "new" wears off quickly so I can keep her covered and start dailying the 31 yo toyota again

Stl376

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
O'fallon
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat A8
about the only thing those stock Pirelli "all season" tires are good for are driving in the rain. Those are my winter tires from late Nov to early March and I love it when they come off and the summers go on.

As far as the rain, the only issue is getting her dirty. In no way will the rain get into the engine. They wouldnt build a car that sucked in rain water... no way no how.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Also I didn't catch you had a Redeye. You could make a foam insert to stick into it so water doesn't get through
but those caps are attached from the back, and mine had 2 screws through it from the factory to keep it held in and there was no easy way to just twist it out.....which is how it was designed to be done....but it seems that someone decided to add 2 small screws on them to keep them held in place.

the ones that the member 3d prints are screens and such that push in from the front. I'm sure he could just make one solid or with some type of louvers that would snap in and keep rain out, and you could just pop it out from the front.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
like these that go in from the outside. these pop in from the front and are removable if you don't want it in there for whatever reason

srt headlight screens.jpg

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
@vortecd

or these

srt screen 2.jpg

so if you took your rear cap off...installed the Hellcat Challenger airbox and headlight duct in your R/T then you'd be open to the ram air through that headlight.....but if you were worried about something getting into the duct, you could use one of these.

OP
SDREDEYE

SDREDEYE

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #35
but those caps are attached from the back, and mine had 2 screws through it from the factory to keep it held in and there was no easy way to just twist it out.....which is how it was designed to be done....but it seems that someone decided to add 2 small screws on them to keep them held in place.

the ones that the member 3d prints are screens and such that push in from the front. I'm sure he could just make one solid or with some type of louvers that would snap in and keep rain out, and you could just pop it out from the front.
I made a fod screen etc for the useless cover on the passenger side and it worked well. I may do something similar for the air intake. I have since recovered the passenger side just because of the wiring that's in that area.

OP
SDREDEYE

SDREDEYE

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #36
about the only thing those stock Pirelli "all season" tires are good for are driving in the rain. Those are my winter tires from late Nov to early March and I love it when they come off and the summers go on.

As far as the rain, the only issue is getting her dirty. In no way will the rain get into the engine. They wouldnt build a car that sucked in rain water... no way no how.
I really want to believe this is the case but seeing how dirty that filter gets with normal driving is what made me second guess. It rains here a lot so the roads aren't that bad but the filter gets all kinds of crap in it.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I made a fod screen etc for the useless cover on the passenger side and it worked well. I may do something similar for the air intake. I have since recovered the passenger side just because of the wiring that's in that area.
Yeah.....I left my passenger side capped off for that very reason.....seems like a waste of the design from Dodge.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I understand your concern as the air filter on these redeyes sure does get dirty quick and if you look in the pleats of the filter there are quite a few pebbles and little stones, so how could water not get to it? Especially when it's sucking air under acceleration? Between the hole in the headlight or the hood nostril, I think it gets much more air through the hood nostril. The duct on the bottom of the hood has a much more direct air path to the filter than the Demon does, but hopefully it is designed to catch and drain any water that gets into it? Fwiw I have had my Redeye in rain and snow, fortunately it survived ;)

OP
SDREDEYE

SDREDEYE

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #39
Yeah.....I left my passenger side capped off for that very reason.....seems like a waste of the design from Dodge.
I think it caused the hood to buffet as well because I didn't notice my hood buffeting under high speeds before but I notice now. I just covered it back up yesterday so I'll test it soon.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I think it caused the hood to buffet as well because I didn't notice my hood buffeting under high speeds before but I notice now. I just covered it back up yesterday so I'll test it soon.
if you're gonna head down 168 toward Moyock.....can you swing in The Border Station and get me some fried chicken......oh...and mashed potatoes too :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: