Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

More merger talk. Peugeot this time.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Sorry - I am still bitter about getting warranty issues denied by "New GM" following the bankruptcy of "Old GM". I don't get a good feeling about restructuring and policy changes, as most often standards are lowered - not raised - due to cost cutting and efficiencies.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
Another turn of events that support what I have been saying for a long time, do you really think there is a quicker car coming? Go buy a Demon, the values just went up

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Extend the 2019 model year out as long as possible, then announce this, no, not related at all, LOL

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye Octane Red
Just some more analysis of this merger...

https://jalopnik.com/fiat-chrysler-merges-with-peugeot-everything-you-need-1839499048

I must admit that one of the major reasons I chose to purchase a 2019 RE was because I feared that we are getting closer to seeing the end of the decent muscle car. Not that I want to croak anytime soon but, I may live long enough to see the end of the muscle car era. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Just some more analysis of this merger...

https://jalopnik.com/fiat-chrysler-merges-with-peugeot-everything-you-need-1839499048

I must admit that one of the major reasons I chose to purchase a 2019 RE was because I feared that we are getting closer to seeing the end of the decent muscle car. Not that I want to croak anytime soon but, I may live long enough to see the end of the muscle car era. :cry::cry::cry::cry:
That depends...just how old are ya??

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Carlos Is The New Sergio
Agnelli family scion John Elkann had a major ally and advocate in Marchionne, and after he died Elkann pushed ahead with a merger partner. He gets a new powerhouse automotive executive in Carlos Tavares, head of PSA, a onetime protegé of Carlos Ghosn at Nissan-Renault and someone with major global carmaking experience. He too is known as “a ruthless cost-cutter.”

Ruthless cost-cutter...Does he like all internal combustion over the top muscle cars?

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
More analysis of the merger...

Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale of Germany said the combination of PSA and FCA was a merger of losers.

FCA and PSA are behind in the current automotive world and limp behind in future technologies like electromobility and autonomous driving. A merger is almost the last chance of survival for both of them,” Nord LB analyst Frank Schwope said.

A merger will be difficult to finalize because of disparate factions like France, Italy and the Agnelli and Peugeot families, Schwope said.

Investment bank Morgan Stanley said the deal was all about CO2.

A potential merger between PSA and FCA is driven by the need for scale and cost sharing as auto companies ‘flip’ the business model from [internal combustion engines] ICE to [electric vehicles] EV. We do not view the FCA/PSA discussions as an isolated idiosyncratic event, but a sign of the stark reality facing the industry,” Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas said.

Almost everybody agrees though that if anyone can bring success to the combination it is PSA CEO Carlos Tavares, who would lead the combined companies.

“Our discussions with auto industry experts suggest Mr. Tavares is highly respected and experienced in cost cutting, execution on platform/product engineering and merger integration,” Jonas said.

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye Octane Red
That depends...just how old are ya??
62 feeling like 90... getting old SUCKS.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale of Germany said the combination of PSA and FCA was a merger of losers.

FCA and PSA are behind in the current automotive world and limp behind in future technologies like electromobility and autonomous driving. A merger is almost the last chance of survival for both of them,” Nord LB analyst Frank Schwope said.

A merger will be difficult to finalize because of disparate factions like France, Italy and the Agnelli and Peugeot families, Schwope said.

A potential merger between PSA and FCA is driven by the need for scale and cost sharing as auto companies ‘flip’ the business model from [internal combustion engines] ICE to [electric vehicles] EV. We do not view the FCA/PSA discussions as an isolated idiosyncratic event, but a sign of the stark reality facing the industry,” Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas said.

Almost everybody agrees though that if anyone can bring success to the combination it is PSA CEO Carlos Tavares, who would lead the combined companies.

“Our discussions with auto industry experts suggest Mr. Tavares is highly respected and experienced in cost cutting, execution on platform/product engineering and merger integration,” Jonas said.
Translation...its over gentlemen...somebody hand the fat lady a microphone..shes got a song to sing....

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Oui Oui... French for Yes Yes... this is actually happening... if approved by French government. :cautious::cautious::cautious:

View attachment 5718

Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot owner PSA have officially agreed to join forces through a 50-50 share swap, creating the world's fourth-largest automaker. "In a rapidly changing environment, with new challenges in connected, electrified, shared and autonomous mobility, the combined entity would leverage its strong global R&D footprint and ecosystem," the companies said in a statement. The deal calls for paying a special dividend of €5.5B to Fiat (NYSE:FCAU) investors and for PSA (OTCPK:pEUGF) to spin off to its shareholders a €3B stake in parts maker Faurecia (OTCPK:FURCF). It's also likely to be approved by the French government, which shot down a merger with PSA's French rival Renault (OTCPK:RNLSY) just five months ago.

Meanwhile back on the GM picket line... UAW strikers have gone whackers.... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

View attachment 5719
The French.....god help us...the only thing they ever gave us...a new spin on toast for breakfast....

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
62 feeling like 90... getting old SUCKS.
I got 4.5 years on ya...feel great...except for my hair fallin out...i'd trade a few aches n pains for a few new follicles

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

Cost cutting? Peugeot? Can u say resurgence of the K car? Only this time electric K car. OMG. Noooooooo!

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Some here just don't see it, everything is changing, buy them now, not going to be around in the near future. I intentionally drove my Demon to 500 miles to get the race PCM installed, why? I am not sure this will be an option in a couple of years.

There are no coincidences.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
I believe cap and trade (carbon credits) pushed by EPA, etc. and continued negative social stigma towards ICE are marking the end. The system is forcing/pushing companies towards the electric savior of our planet (sarcasm alert). Electric does have a place but I highly resent this artificial cheerleading bulls@#$ that is being forced/manipulated in the marketplace.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I believe cap and trade (carbon credits) pushed by EPA, etc. and continued negative social stigma towards ICE are marking the end. The system is forcing/pushing companies towards the electric savior of our planet (sarcasm alert). Electric does have a place but I highly resent this artificial cheerleading bulls@#$ that is being forced/manipulated in the marketplace.
Totally agree, but what your not putting into the equation is public perspective. In a few years these cars won't even be considered cool probably and people will be throwing rocks at you for driving down the street. Poll's show kids today don't even want to own a car. I couldn't even imagine that when I was 18-25 yrs old. Now it's just hit the app and take my ass here. Hit the app and get my food. Soon it's hit the app and take my ass here in an electric car only. I know your a well heeled educated guy, hope I'm not insulting you by stating what I'm sure is the obvious to you. But as cole3986 said, everything is changing... but he forgot to add changing fast.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Totally agree, but what your not putting into the equation is public perspective. In a few years these cars won't even be considered cool probably and people will be throwing rocks at you for driving down the street. Poll's show kids today don't even want to own a car. I couldn't even imagine that when I was 18-25 yrs old. Now it's just hit the app and take my ass here. Hit the app and get my food. Soon it's hit the app and take my ass here in an electric car only. I know your a well heeled educated guy, hope I'm not insulting you by stating what I'm sure is the obvious to you. But as cole3986 said, everything is changing... but he forgot to add changing fast.
I agree. Exactly what I meant by negative social stigma towards ICE, especially gas guzzling muscle cars. Cars will get keyed because they are not electric someday...quite possible due to narrative being pushed.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I agree. Exactly what I meant by negative social stigma towards ICE, especially gas guzzling muscle cars. Cars will get keyed because they are not electric someday...quite possible due to narrative being pushed.
I laughed (at myself) when I reread your post. See, I passed right over your well written edjamacated statement. LOL. But I also really meant right now.
Perfect example. Kid at work had a new WRX turbo Subaru. Hopped it up with bigger turbo and intercooler and louder exhaust. Drove it for short while. Starts going out with a girl. Shortly after car is gone and he buys a real pedestrian 4 dr basic Honda econo box. I said what happened to the WRX. He says "ahh that thing was just obnoxious". Coincidence? DK. Did she change his outlook? DK. He's 24.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I laughed (at myself) when I reread your post. See, I passed right over your well written edjamacated statement. LOL. But I also really meant right now.
Perfect example. Kid at work had a new WRX turbo Subaru. Hopped it up with bigger turbo and intercooler and louder exhaust. Drove it for short while. Starts going out with a girl. Shortly after car is gone and he buys a real pedestrian 4 dr basic Honda econo box. I said what happened to the WRX. He says "ahh that thing was just obnoxious". Coincidence? DK. Did she change his outlook? DK. He's 24.
My gut feels everything you and Cole have said. Culturally these cars are under attack and from the economics (fines for not meeting fleet MPG mileage, etc.). Perhaps the merger might help lower FCAs fleet MPG mileage problems? Either way, the forces at be are pummeling these cars out of existence. I firmly believe that is what is going on...sadly.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
The thing that drove the auto industry for almost 80 years...passion...without it..there would be no need for new models..design changes of any kind..we would be content driving all the same car...decade after decade....when you fool with that dynamic your asking for trouble...the powers to be are not paying attention