Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Picking up a M6 Hellcat

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I
Also, does the ECU re-learn after the battery has been disconnected for a while?

I had the batt disconnected for about a week and, driving around today, I seem to have a lot more popping/crackling out of the exhaust on deceleration (like if I am driving around and just let off the gas).

The car runs great and I don’t have any codes or anything, just something I noticed.

Definitely miss that in mine, so I'm guessing yes.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
About 3 pages. Keep looking bass ass wards. Ass they saz in Arkanzaz.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Well I got the car back together today and took it for a test drive. It drove great and the shifts are very smooth now. The car did warm up for quite some time in my garage while I was checking for any fluid leaks, so I guess I’ll get a cold test tomorrow.

I suspected I had a small exhaust leak but it’s gone now. I replaced the gaskets between the cats and the manifolds, maybe it was there, I don’t know. Whatever noise I was hearing at idle (clutch in/clutch out conversation in this thread) is now gone. The diff was making a bit of noise too, especially at slow speed turns, but I changed the diff fluid while it was in the air and now the diff is nice and quiet. I changed the oil too while I was at it.

All in all, very happy. All the little nuances that needed attention got fixed. Only time will tell if the shifting issue is truly fixed.

This trans jack was worth it’s weight in gold too. Used it to not only get the trans out but remove/install the drive shaft and the exhaust (which is pretty dang heavy for one person). Appreciate all the advice/comments, shoutout to @16GoManGoHC2 for all the advice.

View attachment 64756
GLAD to hear it sounds like it was worth all the effort. It’s amazing what some grease and new fluids can do!!

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Also, does the ECU re-learn after the battery has been disconnected for a while?

I had the batt disconnected for about a week and, driving around today, I seem to have a lot more popping/crackling out of the exhaust on deceleration (like if I am driving around and just let off the gas).

The car runs great and I don’t have any codes or anything, just something I noticed.
Yes, having the battery disconnected so long definitely flattened all the trims back to fill in all the tables. You don’t like all the popping, crackling, and gurgling on deccel? That’s like one of the hard on traits of having a manual lol 😆

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
PS, I still want a ride in a 2 seat trainer 16 someday, when ya picking me up???
We just booked tickets to come out to AZ to visit the kids first week of June, maybe see ya out at the stairs

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I am thinking 2 months in the body shop,, ends tomorrow. Let's put this story to an end and get back to the story line of car shows. Rico, from IRB, wasn't kidding when he said he wood get his Lambo before I get the H/C out of the collision shop. He takes his $250,000 lambo in June. I can't wait to put the 1st mark on his bumper.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #327
Yes, having the battery disconnected so long definitely flattened all the trims back to fill in all the tables. You don’t like all the popping, crackling, and gurgling on deccel? That’s like one of the hard on traits of having a manual lol 😆
Not tired of it haha, just noticed it was A LOT more than it usually was.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #328
PS, I still want a ride in a 2 seat trainer 16 someday, when ya picking me up???
We just booked tickets to come out to AZ to visit the kids first week of June, maybe see ya out at the stairs
You’ll be right up there on top of my list as soon as the gov starts letting me give joyrides!

We don’t live in Phoenix anymore but might go visit, we’ll see!

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #329
I am thinking 2 months in the body shop,, ends tomorrow. Let's put this story to an end and get back to the story line of car shows. Rico, from IRB, wasn't kidding when he said he wood get his Lambo before I get the H/C out of the collision shop. He takes his $250,000 lambo in June. I can't wait to put the 1st mark on his bumper.
Hope you get your car back soon!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Hey, thanks, when things could be worse, I change the channel to FOX NEWS and look at Ukrane and go,, thank god I have a 2nd Veee hickster. Could beez a lot worse.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #331
Well, a combination of things has finally got this car running perfect.

The final issue I was having with the car randomly being difficult to shift had me stumped. I decided to swap out the Barton this morning and put the OEM shifter back in and all my shifting problems seem to be gone.

Feel a little dumb for not doing this sooner but with all the good reports about Barton shifters and the relative simple install I didn’t suspect the shifter to be the problem.

The OEM shifter definitely has more slop than the Barton and that must have been the solution to my problems. I inspected everything very carefully as I was removing the Barton, to see if there was anything I installed incorrectly or evidence of binding somewhere but I didn’t find anything.

I’ll have to drive it some more but it shifts crazy good now, smooth as silk into all gears. I do miss the tightness of the Barton but that shifter made me not want to drive my car. Wonder if Barton would be interested in looking into this, @BULL do you have a good contact?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle

The final issue I was having with the car randomly being difficult to shift had me stumped. I decided to swap out the Barton this morning and put the OEM shifter back in and all my shifting problems seem to be gone.

Feel a little dumb for not doing this sooner but with all the good reports about Barton shifters and the relative simple install I didn’t suspect the shifter to be the problem.

The OEM shifter definitely has more slop than the Barton and that must have been the solution to my problems. I inspected everything very carefully as I was removing the Barton, to see if there was anything I installed incorrectly or evidence of binding somewhere but I didn’t find anything.

I’ll have to drive it some more but it shifts crazy good now, smooth as silk into all gears. I do miss the tightness of the Barton but that shifter made me not want to drive my car. Wonder if Barton would be interested in looking into this, @BULL do you have a good contact?
Maybe the centering was just a bit to heavy for you? Maybe try taking a spring out of each side and see if you like it better?

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #333
Maybe the centering was just a bit to heavy for you? Maybe try taking a spring out of each side and see if you like it better?
I don’t think that was the problem. It must’ve been binding somehow, which was making it difficult to get into gear and probably what I was feeling “crunch” when I was shifting, leading me to think it was a clutch or trans issue.

Im curious if this specific unit is just out of spec a bit and somehow the geometry once installed is just off. That’s why I am thinking about sending it back to Barton and let them look at it.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

My contact never replied to my inquiry. I have vague recollections about him being the father of a family owned business and that he may have retired???

I'm not sure if I asked before or not, what version do you have??? If it's not a V3 (visible on the arms), I'd reach out to them directly via the website?

Historically they have been a fantastic company to work with. But it's also been years since I've really dealt with them.

Sorry, that's the best I've got.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I was told once by the guy I was dealing with that the major differences in the different versions was "angles". But I never got specifics in what that really was.

My assumption was always that they made changes to the hardstop positions?

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #336
My contact never replied to my inquiry. I have vague recollections about him being the father of a family owned business and that he may have retired???

I'm not sure if I asked before or not, what version do you have??? If it's not a V3 (visible on the arms), I'd reach out to them directly via the website?

Historically they have been a fantastic company to work with. But it's also been years since I've really dealt with them.

Sorry, that's the best I've got.
It is a v3. Maybe I’ll reach out to them via the website. Honestly, I don’t really care much, happy the car is finally shifting right again.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
It is a v3. Maybe I’ll reach out to them via the website. Honestly, I don’t really care much, happy the car is finally shifting right again.
I’ve read all the Barton accolades and think, yeah I really should do this. Then I drive my ‘16 M6 and think, this stock shifter is just so nice… [dunno]
Maybe if I was racing I’d feel differently… or shoulda bought an A8.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
In the past 2 weeks, I have noticed the stock shifter is not engaging into gear correctly. It is slow and grinding at times. I am 6 foot sumtin. After knee replacements you loose 3/4 of an inch off your leg. 3 replacements,, whom knows. I have the seat all the way back so I moved it up to be able to take the clutch peddle to the floor. Just got back from taking the cat for a walk. It is still with the pedal to the floor hard on engaging. Are these factory set with no adjustments? I am going to the dealer this week and don't trust them to change the stations on the stereo. I am not new to straight shifters like shape shifters. Old girl friends do the shape shifting over night.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #339
In the past 2 weeks, I have noticed the stock shifter is not engaging into gear correctly. It is slow and grinding at times. I am 6 foot sumtin. After knee replacements you loose 3/4 of an inch off your leg. 3 replacements,, whom knows. I have the seat all the way back so I moved it up to be able to take the clutch peddle to the floor. Just got back from taking the cat for a walk. It is still with the pedal to the floor hard on engaging. Are these factory set with no adjustments? I am going to the dealer this week and don't trust them to change the stations on the stereo. I am not new to straight shifters like shape shifters. Old girl friends do the shape shifting over night.
Yes, from the factory there is zero adjustment capability.

When’s the last time you had your brake fluid flushed? I’ve read some others posts saying that their old ass brake fluid contributed to clutch issues (since they share the same reservoir) and once they flushed it life was good again.

That’s about the only easy thing you can do before you start pulling the trans.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I have never had it flushed. #16. The car has 15,106 miles on it, but I do understand fluids. It can be age as break down as much as usage. I am to the understanding today as I was in the 70s that tranny fluid will last for a very long time as long as the system is not opened or contaminated with humidity or water intrusion. I am fixin to change dealer shits as my extended warranty is coming to a close. Then I will change dealers for service. I have had the HC serviced by this dealer before and they are very capable of the jobs handed to them. I will run this by them in Sept if not before. Probably before.