Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Rear Brake Question

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
SO, put new rear brake pads on the car today. OEM pads that came off were dished at the top just like the other pics. Stop Tech replacements were not, went right in, and sweep the entire rotor like my previous 2 challengers.
Drove prob 10 miles lightly slowing down and dragging the brakes to wear off the rust and weathered surface area where the OEM pads never touched. Eventually did some hard stops to try to bed them in then just driving to cool them down. Last, did a few runs hauling down from near dragstrip speeds and things feel good. The pads still need some breaking in (or is that Braking in) but I think it will be fine.

My car has 8700 miles on it. The pads were easy to push back with fingers, OEM pads came right out, new ones went right in. I reused the spring and pins. The stoptech pins were just a bit shorter and I didnt like that so just reused the OEM hardware.

In the first pic, the OEM pads are on top, the replacements on bottom 2nd pic is a closer pic of the OEM, Third a rotor before with old pads, and last pic is Rotor after with new pads

Attachments

OP
SNeal5966

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Thread Starter #122
OK so my Z26 pads that were supposed to arrive 4/28 came last night in the middle of the night...an Easter miracle...LOL

I am trying to find the torque spec for the bolt that is on the front caliper, that retains the pads. I thought I remember it being like 50 ft lbs, anyone know the right number? I can't find that anywhere.....I would like to swap these babies out today.

Happy Easter Everyone!

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
I've seen anywhere from 20-25 ft/lb mentioned depending on whether it's from an SRT, Mustang, or Vette site. Nothing concrete though, just random internet peeps throwing numbers out.

OP
SNeal5966

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Thread Starter #124
I've seen anywhere from 20-25 ft/lb mentioned depending on whether it's from an SRT, Mustang, or Vette site. Nothing concrete though, just random internet peeps throwing numbers out.
Thanks, I set my torque wrench to 22 ft lbs and I think I am good.....just did the bed in procedure and went for a short drive, all good now, and a Full Sweep in the rear finally! I may do that bed in procedure one more time when I get the car out again, just for good measure! lol

nytrorcr1

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Cookeville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hell Cat
Hi,

Take a look at this pic of my rear rotor, this one is drivers side but the passenger is the same. Why is the braking surface not fully utilized, is this normal or is there something weird going on here? This is a Scat Pack Challenger, with the Dynamics Package. The Front rotors have the pad using the full surface.....

View attachment 14752
I have a 2020 Scat and if is the same as yours.

OP
SNeal5966

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Thread Starter #126
I have a 2020 Scat and if is the same as yours.
Mine are not like that anymore, swapped out all 4 wheels with PowerStop Z26 pads and those use full surface in the rear