Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Rear Deck, Stripes Peeling.. HELP!

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
@DodgeCares Rear deck lid stripe have started peeling and I'm being told that this was caused by external force and it's not covered?? WHAT!!??

The car has 8K miles.. extremely well maintained.. and nothing has ever been on the deck lid.. not even a cover.

Has any other members had issues with your factory stripes??? Did your warranty cover? Stripes 1.JPG

Last edited:

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
@DodgeCares Rear deck lid stripe have started peeling and I'm being told that this was caused by external force and it's not covered?? WHAT!!??

The car has 8K miles.. extremely well maintained.. and nothing has ever been on the deck lid.. not even a cover.

Has any other members had issues with your factory stripes??? Did your warranty cover?
I would think that they are.
What year is car?
Any pics?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
What external force? Going through automatic car washes? Parked outside in the sun all the time? Driving 400+ mph?

I'd say they won't cover it as its outside the bumper to bumper period.... unfortunately. Too many unknowns. Bad adhesives; someone using an aggressive orbital polisher; accelerated UV wear; dish washing soap used to wash the car....

OP
GBLWRMR

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
Thread Starter #4
I would think that they are.
What year is car?
Any pics?
It's an 18' WB.

What external force? Going through automatic car washes? Parked outside in the sun all the time? Driving 400+ mph?

I'd say they won't cover it as its outside the bumper to bumper period.... unfortunately. Too many unknowns. Bad adhesives; someone using an aggressive orbital polisher; accelerated UV wear; dish washing soap used to wash the car....
I think that's what they mean, a car wash damaged them or removing snow.. Neither of which would ever happen. Bumper to Bumper is 3yr/36K.. no? The car was purchased at the ed of October, 18'. I should have 6 months left in B2B..

IMG_1882.JPG

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Have you called the FCA help line?

OP
GBLWRMR

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
Thread Starter #6
Have you called the FCA help line?
I have. I opened a case to dispute their denial and still not having much luck. The case manager basically said that she'll call the dealer but if it's been classified as external damage, nothing she can really do.. Frustrating..

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Dang, I would hope a dealer would work for a fix for you on that through Dodge. Good luck!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
If you're still under 36, then absolutely appeal it, and ask for an express written explanation of why it was denied and exactly what evidence is being used to conclude this was something other than manufacturing defect.

OP
GBLWRMR

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
Thread Starter #9
@DodgeCares .... Still waiting for a resolution for what seems to be a very simple warranty claim. My dealer has now uploaded digital pictures for the claim 3 times.. still waiting.

Something so simple to resolve, going unresolved, makes it very difficult to stick with the Dodge (or Ram) brand for future lease or purchase. $80K+ vehicles should come with factory support, not headaches.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I get that you feel it should be covered, but ..........................

Is it really worth the time & stress for something you could easily get fixed (or possibly even fix yourself) for well under $100 ??
The vinyl they use is 3M 1080 (actually a 'wrap' material) and is readily available for under $15 (5' x 1' section).
Any good vinyl shop would do the job for $50 - $75 if you didn't want to DIY.

Personally, I'd not want the dealership goons replacing the stripes on my car !

OP
GBLWRMR

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
Thread Starter #11
I get that you feel it should be covered, but ..........................Is it really worth the time & stress for something you could easily get fixed (or possibly even fix yourself) for well under $100 ??
/QUOTE]

I hear you.. But the dealer has actually been pretty good.. AND there are the principalities of the situation! If I damaged them, fine, I'll fix them no problem. But, I didn't. Dodge can pay. I finally heard back from Dodge. Warranty repair approved. :)

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I bought my HC used and pointed out some issues with the stripes. The dealer brought in new stripes and recommended and payed a vinyl shop to replace them. I made the mistake to swap them myself....I won’t try that again.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Wait... he paid for it but you still did it yourself?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
@DodgeCares .... Still waiting for a resolution for what seems to be a very simple warranty claim. My dealer has now uploaded digital pictures for the claim 3 times.. still waiting.

Something so simple to resolve, going unresolved, makes it very difficult to stick with the Dodge (or Ram) brand for future lease or purchase. $80K+ vehicles should come with factory support, not headaches.
Greetings GBLWRMR,
We apologize for any dissatisfaction. We are unable to speculate regarding warranty coverage. However, it's recommended that you contact the Dodge customer care team using the number below; to learn more details regarding your warranty: 800-423-6343.
Rob
Dodge Cares

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I bought my HC used and pointed out some issues with the stripes. The dealer brought in new stripes and recommended and payed a vinyl shop to replace them. I made the mistake to swap them myself....I won’t try that again.
They are a beotch to apply, not nearly as simple as they appear to be !

Trunk and rear bumper bits are pretty straight forward, roof is a challenge unless you are 8' tall or have a small scaffolding, getting the hood right is wicked (scoop + raised section) as is the front bumper (overlapping pieces + compound curve on the lower lip bit).

Not the project to cut your vinyl teeth on !!

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Wait... he paid for it but you still did it yourself?
I was bored during Covid lock down so I thought I’d give it a try. They were purchased by the dealer, I bought a new set and had them installed for $65

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
They are a beotch to apply, not nearly as simple as they appear to be !

Trunk and rear bumper bits are pretty straight forward, roof is a challenge unless you are 8' tall or have a small scaffolding, getting the hood right is wicked (scoop + raised section) as is the front bumper (overlapping pieces + compound curve on the lower lip bit).

Not the project to cut your vinyl teeth on !!
AGREED! ;)

OP
GBLWRMR

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
Thread Starter #18
Update: The stripes have finally been replaced under warranty. I contacted Dodge and to their credit, I was assigned a service rep that followed up with me every 3 days until corrected. She worked with the dealer and pushed for faster repair times and quicker responses. VERY helpful!

Side note: the body shop manager claims that there was actually TWO stripes, one on top of the other and it was the top stripe peeling off. Extremely odd... Got the car with 7 miles on it.. I wonder if the original was damaged in transit and the second was added at the dealer.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The double stripe is definitely odd. They do overlap a bit on the bumpers & can begin to peel on the corners, but should not be that way on the deck lid.
As you suspect, probably damaged in transit & 'repaired' at the dealer or train yard by slapping another on top of the damaged original - idiots !

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Today I noticed similar damage to a piece on the hood of my girlfriend's TRX.
That one is about a month old, never seen a car wash, or 400 mph. DSCN3873[1].JPG

Definitely not taking it back to the selling dealer (450 miles away) and not so sure it's worth a trip to the local dealer (only 100 miles)...only to have them say "Yup, it needs to be replaced", and then have to make a second trip to have it removed/new one installed once a new one has been ordered.

And it is ironic that it's on her car. When mine arrives I was going to remove that decal anyway.