Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Rear End Popping

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Well having the right stuff from the factory is always a guess right? When the 15's and some 16's rolled out, some didn't have the friction mods needed for the clutches in the posi-rear end and several people Fubar'd the whole pumpkin. Luckily I caught mine in time before any serious damage, or so they said. :rolleyes:

I thought they were nuts when they said it was the gear oil, but after they replaced it, ticking gone. I'd highly recommend anyone with a 15/16 to change out the gear oil with the proper friction mod gear oil they recommend.
I did and haven't heard it since

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
UPDATE: I took my Cat in for routine maint. and showed the SR the TSB. Tech confirmed the 'rubbing' noise & they changed out the gear lube under warranty.
Have not put many miles on it yet, but the noise is already almost gone.
Hi MikeD1, Thank you for sharing this update. I am glad to hear that your dealer was able to identify the source of your concern and that you are no longer experiencing this. Should you experience any additional trouble down the road, please do not hesitate to reach out to us for additional support.
Rob
DodgeCares

hellman

10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Katy
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8
Badkitty, hate to break the bad news to you but i believe you have broken the pin that the spider gear sits on. I had the exact same issue with the popping and binding on the rear. It's definitely the rear diff and you only hear it when you're turning and it doesn't matter whether your backing and turning or going forward and turning. Meancat and I pulled the rear diff and sure enough, the pin was cracked right down the middle all the way through. That popping and cracking is the pin binding and moving side to side because it doesn't have anything holding it in place anymore. A new diff is in your future my man. I bought a new 3.09 diff for mine. Problem solved! That is the 2nd diff i have broken the spider gear pin on. The first was the orginal 2.62 and the 2nd was a 3.09 i bought used. Good luck!

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Badkitty, hate to break the bad news to you but i believe you have broken the pin that the spider gear sits on. I had the exact same issue with the popping and binding on the rear. It's definitely the rear diff and you only hear it when you're turning and it doesn't matter whether your backing and turning or going forward and turning. Meancat and I pulled the rear diff and sure enough, the pin was cracked right down the middle all the way through. That popping and cracking is the pin binding and moving side to side because it doesn't have anything holding it in place anymore. A new diff is in your future my man. I bought a new 3.09 diff for mine. Problem solved! That is the 2nd diff i have broken the spider gear pin on. The first was the orginal 2.62 and the 2nd was a 3.09 i bought used. Good luck!
Fun Times !

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Mine make the sound as i am backing out of car port onto grass.
Between 65 to 80 the rear gets really squirrelly.
Thought it might be the tires.
Dang, Hunter. Not that I've ever tried it, but with the powerful engine I can certainly see that the rear can get squirelly between 65 and 80 on grass. Especially in Reverse.

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Usually louder exhaust, and turning radio up help.
Also, hitting accelerator hard helps as well.

I have had no issues using above methods. Let me know if they fix it for you.

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6

Blkout