Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Road Course Videos

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #21
Like the guy who is 300 or less yards from the turn and finally signals. I had a few of those also.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
As a generalization, the energies at BIR vs RA are roughly the same, what makes RA more demanding is that the duration is longer.

(Again, a generalization, the watts into the rotor are roughly similar, but are a longer braking event. Stick your hand into a 400F oven for a second or for 10 seconds...)
Yeah, that makes sense and I get that part. I had just never envisioned those brakes getting as hot as in your video on the dyno and spraying out sparks like that. I sat here wondering how much it not only damaged the calipers but the wheels and everything else within reach. It wasn't like that spark shower was a tiny event and the dwell time inbetween wasn't long either.

That's why I labeled the wtf face a bunch in my post.

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #23
Yeah, that makes sense and I get that part. I had just never envisioned those brakes getting as hot as in your video on the dyno and spraying out sparks like that. I sat here wondering how much it not only damaged the calipers but the wheels and everything else within reach. It wasn't like that spark shower was a tiny event and the dwell time inbetween wasn't long either.

That's why I labeled the wtf face a bunch in my post.

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:
You should see what this road course stuff does to other parts of the system!!! You know what I am talking about.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #24
Got a bunch of stuff for your weekend pleasure!!

Instead of watching boring laps, how about just highlights. I inserted a few smart ass comments.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #25
This is interesting. My best lap this year and last year. The DS item certainly gave me the confidence to let it go a bit more back in the chicane, kink and just after it. Before that not much difference, but back there is where it showed and where I felt better also. Man, lots on the table after looking at the videos also. I need a lesson at RA with a home town guy now.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #26
Just three good laps. #13 is the lap shown above on the comparison also.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I’ll start the thread, so we can stack up videos in one thread, unless we want to highlight by track?

Anyway here is session #2 at Road America Saturday. The last lap here was my best time for a lap of the weekend. I’ll put together some other clips, but I know it is boring to watch, so I may try some clips for entertainment next. MVP hates Challengers because some ass came in a couple of years ago, entered advanced and caused a mess. Oh well, point byes are good passing practice. The Redeye was working great. Ha, at least on Saturday.:LOL:

D, great job man. That Corvette that was ahead of you, aren't they supposed to be able to walk away on a track like that (generally) because weight? You were just all over that guy. Know you're not stock and all that, but still, that is a great run against something that is supposed to be basically built for that kind of running. Wish I was there with you!

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
This is interesting. My best lap this year and last year. The DS item certainly gave me the confidence to let it go a bit more back in the chicane, kink and just after it. Before that not much difference, but back there is where it showed and where I felt better also. Man, lots on the table after looking at the videos also. I need a lesson at RA with a home town guy now.

Luan is really good at the track. I'm sure he'd ride with you next year. He also drove Matt's WB Hellcat last year on stock tires and suspension to a low 2:4x IIRC. I beat him, but I think that's just the advantage of my tire compound. ;)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I went back and watched my videos, I can't hang with you guys on this stuff, so I'm going to save face, what little bit I have, and just let you guys post your stuff.

;)

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #30
D, great job man. That Corvette that was ahead of you, aren't they supposed to be able to walk away on a track like that (generally) because weight? You were just all over that guy. Know you're not stock and all that, but still, that is a great run against something that is supposed to be basically built for that kind of running. Wish I was there with you!
Some dick at the other place said all those fancy things were not only going to waste me but lap me. He should have been more cooperative with passing and pointing me by. But that film has examples of rookies driving in an Intermediate Group. I even got tricked by the Porsche to do an illegal pass b4 the Kink. My fault, but it was a safe move.

I wish a lot more of you were with me. That track is a blast beyond description. I really had a good time Saturday.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #31
Luan is really good at the track. I'm sure he'd ride with you next year. He also drove Matt's WB Hellcat last year on stock tires and suspension to a low 2:4x IIRC. I beat him, but I think that's just the advantage of my tire compound. ;)
They were very close a few times. Thanks for the intro, I really like him and the others with him. They had two Camaros. We may have had fun Sunday, they were one or two behind me in that initial grid up (me #1) when they combined groups. They must have got held up, because the lap b4 disaster I let a Turbo Porsche through, then everyone was not even in the rear mirror as I looked b4 the last trip through #4.

I’ll tell everyone that on Sunday I ran the Pirelli PZ4 305/35 rears that came in the car and a pair of Pilot Sport fronts up front. Don’t say anything, there was a method to my madness, and it felt great. Those rear tires were particularly impressive IMO. The data I see in a couple of the sectors and speeds indicate I could have pulled some good times with that setup too. Maybe we are being unfair to Pirelli? They sure make a variety of sizes that could help! Again, maybe they don’t work well for drag racing, but they were not that bad IMO. I’ll be trying that setup again at a track near me:geek: just out of curiosity.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
They were very close a few times. Thanks for the intro, I really like him and the others with him. They had two Camaros. We may have had fun Sunday, they were one or two behind me in that initial grid up (me #1) when they combined groups. They must have got held up, because the lap b4 disaster I let a Turbo Porsche through, then everyone was not even in the rear mirror as I looked b4 the last trip through #4.

I’ll tell everyone that on Sunday I ran the Pirelli PZ4 305/35 rears that came in the car and a pair of Pilot Sport fronts up front. Don’t say anything, there was a method to my madness, and it felt great. Those rear tires were particularly impressive IMO. The data I see in a couple of the sectors and speeds indicate I could have pulled some good times with that setup too. Maybe we are being unfair to Pirelli? They sure make a variety of sizes that could help! Again, maybe they don’t work well for drag racing, but they were not that bad IMO. I’ll be trying that setup again at a track near me:geek: just out of curiosity.
Myron apparently hurt his engine - 1 of the 2 white Camaros. BTW, your car makes several appearances in Luan's videos.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Got a bunch of stuff for your weekend pleasure!!

Instead of watching boring laps, how about just highlights. I inserted a few smart ass comments.

Eating up that track !

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #34
Eating up that track !
Thanks. The Redeye was doing us proud, Saturday. It was a lot of fun.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thanks. The Redeye was doing us proud, Saturday. It was a lot of fun.
You got it down @DGatzby, you can really see the difference in the experienced drivers vs. not.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I’ll start the thread, so we can stack up videos in one thread, unless we want to highlight by track?

Anyway here is session #2 at Road America Saturday. The last lap here was my best time for a lap of the weekend. I’ll put together some other clips, but I know it is boring to watch, so I may try some clips for entertainment next. MVP hates Challengers because some ass came in a couple of years ago, entered advanced and caused a mess. Oh well, point byes are good passing practice. The Redeye was working great. Ha, at least on Saturday.:LOL:

Great video David! Gus and I just watched the whole thing and we really enjoyed it, we love how you screamed out towards the end :)

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #37
Great video David! Gus and I just watched the whole thing and we really enjoyed it, we love how you screamed out towards the end :)
We can feel a good lap/turn as well as you guys perceive hooking and running sub-ten seconds. Feel that a couple times in one lap, and it don’t get better. Except in bed!

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #38
Getting all I can out of it!! Just got the pictures from RA.

Damn, only using half of that right front tire!!
NVUS1094.JPG

Just about where it should be....
NVUS9759.JPG

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country