Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stock Brembo Pads For Track Use

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Interesting thread.

I called Hawk's tech rep recently to ask why the black paint was peeling so much on my DTC-60's (all four pads, especially bad on the front). He, like others here, have said it is normal, although I think I got pads with perhaps more paint on the back side than normal. I think the Hawk 60's are superior to the OEM Brembo's, having driven with both at the NCM road course during similar weather days. They initiate braking sooner, and seem very linear throughout pedal pressure application - they feel great. When they are cold coming to a stop they can squeal, but I understand that is the price you pay for excellent stopping power. They also generate a lot of dust, just like the OEM pads.

I asked the rep about the DTC-80's. Without his getting into their specs he said they were intended for NASCAR tracks and would be very hard on my stock rotors.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
I'd have to flip my front pads during a single track day as the 70 only lasts about 4 to 5 sessions before being done for me at Brainerd. A little less at Road America. That's why I went with the Viper calipers.
My rears will last almost forever.
TrackDay,

This is intended as a compliment...when I read how you, and DGatzby too, go through your brake pads on road courses and think how after my 5 HPDE track days this year my just pulled off and inspected new this year Hawk DTC-60's look, well, damn, hardly worn, I think either you guys are as plum crazy as my car, or I'm FAR more timid than I think I am! My instructors tell me I'm driving well and getting a lot out of my car, but...I can't be initiating braking as close to the threshold braking point, or approaching it as fast as you guys...or I'd be going through brake pads too.

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye Widebody
I'd have to flip my front pads during a single track day as the 70 only lasts about 4 to 5 sessions before being done for me at Brainerd. A little less at Road America. That's why I went with the Viper calipers.
My rears will last almost forever.
That is weird. I got 8 track days (4+ 25-30 min sessions per day) out of my DTC-70s between Sebring and (2 days) at the 24hrs of Daytona course. I was happy with that for how well they work.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
That is weird. I got 8 track days (4+ 25-30 min sessions per day) out of my DTC-70s between Sebring and (2 days) at the 24hrs of Daytona course. I was happy with that for how well they work.
I'd be happy too. 😉
Road America kills them badly. 3 straights per lap up to about 150 mph and at the end of each straight is a 90 deg. turn. One of those straights also ends in a downhill. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to brake hard consistently there but have added larger brake ducts and have a set of 80 pads to try my next time there.
Brainerd is a fast track overall but is easier on brakes. I can use the 60 pads there but the 70 pads bite better at high temps and seem to have a better pedal feel for me.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
TrackDay,

This is intended as a compliment...when I read how you, and DGatzby too, go through your brake pads on road courses and think how after my 5 HPDE track days this year my just pulled off and inspected new this year Hawk DTC-60's look, well, damn, hardly worn, I think either you guys are as plum crazy as my car, or I'm FAR more timid than I think I am! My instructors tell me I'm driving well and getting a lot out of my car, but...I can't be initiating braking as close to the threshold braking point, or approaching it as fast as you guys...or I'd be going through brake pads too.
Some of it can be the course design. It's the high temps that seem to wear the pads much faster. Of course that temp is created by friction so the 2 feed on each other.
I can do whatever I want with brakes with the 60 or 70 pads on the Brainerd short course and the wear is way less than the long course. Road America just overworks my brakes and wears out a set of front pads in a day of 4 sessions.
Admittedly I've watched several other drivers use stock brake pads well and I did too at several courses until the first time I tried the 60 pads at Brainerd. I was hooked by the extra stopping power. I guess I'm addicted and push the brakes harder than they can really handle. But except for Road America they don't fade on me. They just wear fast.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Interesting thread.

I called Hawk's tech rep recently to ask why the black paint was peeling so much on my DTC-60's (all four pads, especially bad on the front). He, like others here, have said it is normal, although I think I got pads with perhaps more paint on the back side than normal. I think the Hawk 60's are superior to the OEM Brembo's, having driven with both at the NCM road course during similar weather days. They initiate braking sooner, and seem very linear throughout pedal pressure application - they feel great. When they are cold coming to a stop they can squeal, but I understand that is the price you pay for excellent stopping power. They also generate a lot of dust, just like the OEM pads.

I asked the rep about the DTC-80's. Without his getting into their specs he said they were intended for NASCAR tracks and would be very hard on my stock rotors.
The infamous Hawk pad backing paint. I hate that stuff. On both front and rear it just crinkles up and flakes or burns off. A couple of times I've had it start smoking on my front brakes if I don't take a good cool down lap. At Road America I went straight at Turn 5 due to brake fade and cruised at pit speed back to my parking spot. I stopped and immediately saw smoke coming from the front. I drove around for a couple more minutes and it was gone. I only knew what it was so quickly because it happened to me at Brainerd before when the course was black flagged and I came off without a cool down lap.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Hey, why are your calipers being replaced?
They were black and I even paid extra for black. They are gray now, the rears are more discolored than the fronts is what is strange, and I did not order gray.;) So I am lucky, and next season my calipers are brand new and the system is all bled and ready to go.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
The infamous Hawk pad backing paint. I hate that stuff. On both front and rear it just crinkles up and flakes or burns off. A couple of times I've had it start smoking on my front brakes if I don't take a good cool down lap. At Road America I went straight at Turn 5 due to brake fade and cruised at pit speed back to my parking spot. I stopped and immediately saw smoke coming from the front. I drove around for a couple more minutes and it was gone. I only knew what it was so quickly because it happened to me at Brainerd before when the course was black flagged and I came off without a cool down lap.
Reminds me, were you up at BIR the day they pulled me off with a black flag, and fire trucks (2015 Hellcat)? More than one flag station reported actual flames!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Jerry, I am positive your brake wear would also go up at RA. Each lap (every 2 and a half minutes), you are slowing down from 150 as hard as you can three times, that second straight where @TrackDay had total failure is one ball busting experience every lap with about 4500 lbs. FYI that is the straight and that braking area is on my video where my supercharger ate itself in May.

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Interesting thread.

The DTC-70s paint was gone on all pads at the end.
Some of it can be the course design. It's the high temps that seem to wear the pads much faster. Of course that temp is created by friction so the 2 feed on each other.
I can do whatever I want with brakes with the 60 or 70 pads on the Brainerd short course and the wear is way less than the long course. Road America just overworks my brakes and wears out a set of front pads in a day of 4 sessions.
Admittedly I've watched several other drivers use stock brake pads well and I did too at several courses until the first time I tried the 60 pads at Brainerd. I was hooked by the extra stopping power. I guess I'm addicted and push the brakes harder than they can really handle. But except for Road America they don't fade on me. They just wear fast.
Yes, Daytona seemed rougher on pads than Sebring due to course layout.

NYCSRTATE

Member ID
Reactions
City
NYC
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Charger Hellcat
I have a set of stock pads with very few miles on them if anyone wanted to pay shipping to get them.

How many miles on the pads?

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Jerry, I am positive your brake wear would also go up at RA. Each lap (every 2 and a half minutes), you are slowing down from 150 as hard as you can three times, that second straight where @TrackDay had total failure is one ball busting experience every lap with about 4500 lbs. FYI that is the straight and that braking area is on my video where my supercharger ate itself in May.
Guess it's a good thing I'm down here! Daytona seemed rougher on my brakes than Daytona with 159mph on the front straight each lap.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
How many miles on the pads?
Just a few thousand.
They’re not new, not at all, but they’re sitting in a box waiting for someone to finish them off.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Guess it's a good thing I'm down here! Daytona seemed rougher on my brakes than Daytona with 159mph on the front straight each lap.
There is three of them on each lap and like TD says two of them have braking zone in a down hill configuration, each one is followed by a 90 degree corner you can’t cheat.