Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Teflon coating on SC rotors

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
So I start tearing into my pulley / injector swap project yesterday and I see quite a bit of the Teflon coating on the rotors is missing from a few areas. 😳 The car only has around 3200 miles on it. Supercharger isn’t making any noise and turns over fine. I don’t see where it appears the rotors are touching although I know at speed and temps this may change. I don’t see any scrapes or nicked edges. I can actually scrape the coating off with my finger nail. I’m thinking this just may be a shitty coating job since I can so easily scrape it off. Wondering if anyone else has seen this? Not sure how worried I should be. Thoughts? @16GoManGoHC2 , @Speedy! , @vortecd , @jonx96, @Unholy707 , @fumanchu182

Attachments

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Wow, never seen one look like that before. Assuming you've not tried to run meth injection or anything?

Assuming no, it looks like a poor coating job.

OP
Smitty

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Thread Starter #3
Wow, never seen one look like that before. Assuming you've not tried to run meth injection or anything?

Assuming no, it looks like a poor coating job.
No never ran meth.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
That is interesting.can’t see I have seen that before. You may still be able to ask for warranty maybe. Hard to say if they will do a nothing without a noise

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Crappy manufacturing. Assemly dude did meth, even if you didnt.

Seriously, i dont see how that happened other than manufacturing defect. Whether dodge will say it is a defect effecting the vehicle enough to say it should be warrantied is another matter.

OP
Smitty

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Thread Starter #6
I’m figuring they wouldn’t warranty it since I’ve got it apart. Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to check. I believe the engine falls under a 5/60,000 warranty. I wouldn’t have even known the rotors were like this if I hadn’t taken it apart. My main concern is that if I leave it as is that it won’t cause any issues since I’m putting a 2.85 pulley on it .

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I’m figuring they wouldn’t warranty it since I’ve got it apart. Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to check. I believe the engine falls under a 5/60,000 warranty. I wouldn’t have even known the rotors were like this if I hadn’t taken it apart. My main concern is that if I leave it as is that it won’t cause any issues since I’m putting a 2.85 pulley on it .
Try, say you hear noise. Slap it back together and see what they do

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Personally I wouldn't make any changes until you got this straightened out. After a pulley and tune you're definitely out of luck.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
I've seen it before on my Magnuson supercharger. The black coating is called a "anabradable coating". It allows the blower rotors to clearance themselves to the casing for minimal clearance (more efficient) without damaging the aluminum casing or rotors if they should touch while the blower heats up and cools down.

-Unless you're seeing lower boost than what you'd expect (depending on pulley size etc) - I'd leave it alone since the only options are to remove the coating altogether or have them recoated which I'm sure isn't cheap.... some info I found below:

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/6688867.html

OP
Smitty

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Thread Starter #10
I've seen it before on my Magnuson supercharger. The black coating is called a "anabradable coating". It allows the blower rotors to clearance themselves to the casing for minimal clearance (more efficient) without damaging the aluminum casing or rotors if they should touch while the blower heats up and cools down.

-Unless you're seeing lower boost than what you'd expect (depending on pulley size etc) - I'd leave it alone since the only options are to remove the coating altogether or have them recoated which I'm sure isn't cheap.... some info I found below:

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/6688867.html
Thanks for the info. I’m of the same opinion. No noise. No scrapes or gouges on the rotors. Just leave it alone and do the pulley and tune.
Personally I wouldn't make any changes until you got this straightened out. After a pulley and tune you're definitely out of luck.
I hear ya. That would probably be the smartest thing but I really don’t think it’s a mechanical issue with the blower or I would definitely try this route. I’m thinking it’s just an issue with the coating application process. 🤷🏼‍♂️

OP
Smitty

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Thread Starter #11
Spoke to Jesse at SDG Motorsports. Super cool guy and was willing to spend time talking about my situation. I know he can’t guarantee anything but his opinion is he thinks just running the 2.85 pulley with stock lower will be ok but said if the rotors were to lose a lot of there coating and start rubbing it would definitely cause issues due to the heat. He said he’s seen this before. I’m going to check to see what exactly the warranty is. I believe this falls under the 5/60,000 powertrain. Once I can confirm I’m going to call the dealer to see what they say.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
If dealer will replace, I'd let them and go from there.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
What will you tell the Dealer? Will they bust your chops if you said you had your blower apart? Would they deny coverage because of that? From what I understand, the dealer wouldn't service it, but rather just replace the whole blower. Not sure if they'd claim because it was apart, that you were the one you caused the damage?

OP
Smitty

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Thread Starter #14
What will you tell the Dealer? Will they bust your chops if you said you had your blower apart? Would they deny coverage because of that? From what I understand, the dealer wouldn't service it, but rather just replace the whole blower. Not sure if they'd claim because it was apart, that you were the one you caused the damage?
I’ve thought about that. I don’t know how they’d think I did the damage but thought I’d tell them I took the lid off to get it powder coated and noticed the rotors were missing some of the teflon coating. I think normal procedure is to replace the blower as I don’t think they service them.

OP
Smitty

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Thread Starter #15
Okay, strategy. Without knowing if this will work, just some thoughts I had to wend around the idea of being culpable:

Using a snake camera, you can, without turning a single bolt, peek into the blower chamber through the bypass flap if you are thorough enough if the bypass flap is open when the engine is not running. You would have to hold open the throttle body butterfly, first, I would guess.

Can you have the blower lid replaced at the Dodge dealer and innocently ask for how the internals of the blower look?

Sounds like you could use some friends there.
Not bad ideas but I took the car in last Wednesday after talking to the dealer beforehand. I told them I had the lid off to get it powder coated and showed them the pics of the rotors. They still haven’t looked at it. Pisses me off. What’s the point of making an appointment? Supposedly they’re going to look at it today. They said it would be up to Chrysler whether or not they’d warranty it.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Not bad ideas but I took the car in last Wednesday after talking to the dealer beforehand. I told them I had the lid off to get it powder coated and showed them the pics of the rotors. They still haven’t looked at it. Pisses me off. What’s the point of making an appointment? Supposedly they’re going to look at it today. They said it would be up to Chrysler whether or not they’d warranty it.
Some dealerships are junk. I use one in a little town, get an appointment and I wait for it. Had the cat recall done and the radio replaced on the challenger twice and went smooth

OP
Smitty

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Thread Starter #17
Some dealerships are junk. I use one in a little town, get an appointment and I wait for it. Had the cat recall done and the radio replaced on the challenger twice and went smooth
I took it back to the one where I bought it since they seem to sell quite a few HC’s. Even spoke to the mechanic who said he’d had over 100 of these apart and had never seen this. His concern was where the Teflon was going and if it was possibly leaving residue in any of the cylinders. I’m not sure how much of an issue that might be if it was. Now to wait. Hopefully hear something today.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I took it back to the one where I bought it since they seem to sell quite a few HC’s. Even spoke to the mechanic who said he’d had over 100 of these apart and had never seen this. His concern was where the Teflon was going and if it was possibly leaving residue in any of the cylinders. I’m not sure how much of an issue that might be if it was. Now to wait. Hopefully hear something today.
Sounds like a good service department. My service manager told me they love doing warranty work and will warrant anything they possibly can. Pretty happy with them.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'd bet any coating would get burned up to very small pieces and expelled out the ehhaust.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
AS speedy said above I highly doubt the missing coating caused any effect on the engine. It is long gone