Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Will a LMI filter and CF tube fit in a JLT Air box?

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I think the theory is the air is compressed and heated anyway while building boost then passed through the intercooler. But have to agree that cooler air to start with helps the process. That's why our cars run better at lower temps.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I will never understand how you put an open filter into an engine bay and call it "cold air" The factory Hellcat air box which is sealed from the engine bay being fed air from the front of the car and under is more of a cold air system

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I'm sure there's some truth to that...but in my case the IAT1 is so high it spends more time in orbit than Elon. No KR from any source according to HPT but I'm sure it is not commanding full timing and it always seems to short shift out of first unless I manually hold it.

Still went high 9's full weight on mid 1.5 60's so screw it.
The computer has limiters in place so it pulls timing before you see knock from higher than desired temps. Even though you don’t see KR doesn’t mean the computer isn’t pulling timing.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The computer has limiters in place so it pulls timing before you see knock from higher than desired temps. Even though you don’t see KR doesn’t mean the computer isn’t pulling timing.
Exactly. There is no way that it is commanding full timing and proper shift parameters with starting IAT1 in the 150's. I can control IAT2 pretty easily with ice but that pre-blower temp is just asinine.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Proven fact, cooler the engine makes more hores. That is why I agree that why do they call these aplications cai. All it is getting is engine air mixed with what OA there is to be delivered. To bring it down it needs help from a different source. Which brings another inter cooler.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Log the PID IAT advance to see what's pulled for IAT. Mine starts to pull a degree about 130 IAT and 2 deg by 150. Never seen more than 2.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I think they call it CAI because it's an open filter, but still makes no sense.

For racing in the summer heat they don't help but in the cold weather it probably doesn't matter much. The biggest thing is to block off the fan hot air wash as much as possible.
Another thing I did was to remove most of the seal on the cowl to the hood, to let hot air escape from engine bay. I left the seal on that's right in front of the fresh air vent on the cowl.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
IMO it's better to feed the engine more air than worry about the air temp. Running smaller pulleys etc is gonna heat the air a lot more than what the intake temp happens to be. I've got my IAT modifier dialed back just a tick from what a stock RE calibration has, but left the hot IAT reference temp as stock at 212°F.

At Moparty my starting IAT at the light was 131. Ambient was in the low 80s. At the end of the quarter the IAT was 154. Not a big difference from start to finish compared to my old car that would have been closer to 180 probably which was quite a bit of difference from start to finish. The Hellcat intercooler system is pretty good.

At MSHS KY in 2020 the ambient temp was in the low 90s. My starting IAT was almost the same at 129 and my IAT at the quarter mile was 158, so not a ton of difference. Data is king.

But as they say to each their own.

Last edited:

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
IAT1 or 2?

My issue seems to be IAT1 (pre-blower) temperatures. Car just doesn't seem to hit right with a 150+ starting temp. Mind you the IAT2 is well below that...somewhere in the 120's after burnout due to icing the blower and coolant res... I believe the high IAT1 is affecting things off the line along with shifting behavior on the 1-2.

Or maybe I'm smoking crack. I dunno.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Not bad temps at all.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'll look but I monitor post blower.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
IMO it's better to feed the engine more air than worry about the air temp. Running smaller pulleys etc is gonna heat the air a lot more than what the intake temp happens to be. I've got my IAT modifier dialed back just a tick from what a stock RE calibration has, but left the hot IAT reference temp as stock at 212°F.

At Moparty my starting IAT at the light was 131. Ambient was in the low 80s. At the end of the quarter the IAT was 154. Not a big difference from start to finish compared to my old car that would have been closer to 180 probably which was quite a bit of difference from start to finish. The Hellcat intercooler system is pretty good.

At MSHS KY in 2020 the ambient temp was in the low 90s. My starting IAT was almost the same at 129 and my IAT at the quarter mile was 158, so not a ton of difference. Data is king.

But as they say to each their own.
It would be one thing if I saw a ton of air gain but my remembrance the lmi did not gain any air over the stock box. So the more air didn’t apply. It was just hot air.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Actually to fill the intake with more hot air for the inter coolers to take on is worse than having the box. I guess the box insulates additional hot air from the engine compartment from the intake itself.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It would be one thing if I saw a ton of air gain but my remembrance the lmi did not gain any air over the stock box. So the more air didn’t apply. It was just hot air.
Demon, RE, and new Hellcats I believe all come with open element filters. There's a reason. Probably not a ton of difference but on my 2009 we saw 30rwhp back to back on the dyno vs stock airbox on the supercharger.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That was the only change that was made?? I know K & N guarantees a 17 to 20 increase but whom is going to dispute that? Other having spend the $$ on a dyno.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yes only change 20 minutes apart

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
insteresting

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
It is actually thundering out over the gulf. We have not had a drop of rain in 70 days. Which brings me to this subject. The driver's side hood intake came with a metal plats covering the air intake. It just happens to be over the air intake to the so called CAI. I removed mine and seemed to help. I ordered a couple of socks to go over the filter in case oh extremely heavy rains. I use NASCAR car was, brushless, and don't run the engine thru the process and seems not to bring a problem. I seem to not drive in the rain due to having the ass end going in the direction of where I am going.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I've never run anything to cover the filter element other than the rain resistant sock on the street. I never installed the plastic cover for the hood vent that came with my JLT either. I want as much opportunity for air flow as possible. I used to just put the sock on when going through the touchless wash but have gotten in the habit of leaving it on unless I'm at the drag strip and even then I don't know that it matters honestly but makes me feel better to take it off LOL.

OH, and I found a log from my car bone stock. Starting IAT was 136 and at the top of the quarter 142. That was on 11 pounds of boost and an ambient temp close to 90.

I have tons of logs, if I got real motivated I'd plot them on a graph but honestly not worth the effort. I know what I need to know.

Edited: I also have my intercooler pump speed customized in my tune for best cooling at certain conditions, which helps with temps so that's another variable to consider as well.

Also, look at all the STKR in this log from my car BONE STOCK. No wonder the original motor let loose! I remember that in all my stock logs on 93 and is why I tell everybody never run hard on pump gas.

1642347492738.png

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Demon, RE, and new Hellcats I believe all come with open element filters. There's a reason. Probably not a ton of difference but on my 2009 we saw 30rwhp back to back on the dyno vs stock airbox on the supercharger.
The open bigger filter is also being supplied air from the scoops on those cars. It still comes down to restriction, if there sn't any there is no power
I have tried two different intakes along with a 100mm throttle body and have seen no gains