Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Don't Be A D*ck.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
This may be the single most inspiring thing I have seen on the automotive side of life in a long, long time. At least since my XceedSpeed.com days, which was a community predominately aimed at the sport compact scene in Michigan (birth place of the muscle car) but they still always had time for, and included, me - a mullet wearing Canuck who drove Deeeetroit Muscle.

We need more of this in the hobby.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I agree , good to see all kinds of cars & what ppl. are doing with them to make them unique.
That's looks like a cool place to hang out & have a few !

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I wasn’t on a car forum until after I raced a car at random. Got the guy to pull over. BSd with him a bit, and he said to follow him to a meet. So I did. Turns out the meet was at Bubble Tea, and most of these guys knew each other from a forum that went by UBRF... it was a local forum for every enthusiast... every shape, size, and budget. I made life long friends as a result. The fact of the matter is, the owner of Bubble Tea just happened to be a guy from the forum, it wasn’t a car place at all. I only watched 2 minutes of the video so far, but I could see a restaurant/lounge/garage being successful. I’ve already designed one in my head. I imagine it would be a tough sell in Buffalo... our Cars & Coffee only get a few weeks a year, but it isn’t like the enthusiasm dies, the cars just hibernate.
I’d like to incorporate a garage into the mix because there is nothing like wrenching with friends; or sharing a wrench with a friend you haven’t met yet. Something like that would help young and old generations.
The reality of it is, our local race track was for sale, and if I would have just won the mega millions at that time; this dream would have been a reality.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
This may be the single most inspiring thing I have seen on the automotive side of life in a long, long time. At least since my XceedSpeed.com days, which was a community predominately aimed at the sport compact scene in Michigan (birth place of the muscle car) but they still always had time for, and included, me - a mullet wearing Canuck who drove Deeeetroit Muscle.

We need more of this in the hobby.
That was a pretty cool video.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Very cool video and very cool idea. Tone of place seems great. A place to show your own version of cool, without breaking anything. Eat, drink, and be merry without door dings too! I think that concept might fly in alot of towns.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I am definitely a dick. I like the eat and drink hang out part but I have nothing in common with someone with a Volkswagen golf or a mr2. I have been to some car shows and I can tell you right now there is a big difference in personality from a guy who drives a suped up ricer vs a guy who has a 69 Camaro or 70 Cuda or even a Hellcat at a car show. Ya I am a dick. I went to a car show and walked around looking at cars came back to my Hellcat with two ricers guys leaning on it the day I picked it up from getting CQuartzed I had some harsh words for them and almost knocked one of them out. Then at another show some ricer guy walks up to DemonSRT's Demon looks threw the window and goes ugggh it's a automatic shakes his head and goes what a shame while DemonSRT was standing right there. At the same show 15 done up ford focuses or whatever the hell they were all drive in revving the crap out of there cars with worlds most annoying exhaust that sound like gun shots scaring the shit out of a bunch of little kids and a poor little puppy The ford group was not allowed to come to the next car show. I don't go to car shows anymore. Too many dickheads and they always seem to be part of the ricer group.

Last edited:
OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
I am definitely a dick. I like the eat and drink hang out part but I have nothing in common with someone with a Volkswagen golf or a mr2. I have been to some car shows and I can tell you right now there is a big difference in personality from a guy who drives a suped up ricer vs a guy who has a 69 Camaro or 70 Cuda or even a Hellcat at a car show. Ya I am a dick. I went to a car show and walked around looking at cars came back to my Hellcat with two ricers guys leaning on it the day I picked it up from getting CQuartzed I had some harsh words for them and almost knocked one of them out. Then at another show some ricer guy walks up to DemonSRT's Demon looks threw the window and goes ugggh it's a automatic shakes his head and goes what a shame while DemonSRT was standing right there. At the same show 15 done up ford focuses or whatever the hell they were all drive in revving the crap out of there cars with worlds most annoying exhaust that sound like gun shots scaring the shit out of a bunch of little kids and a poor little puppy The ford group was not allowed to come to the next car show. I don't go to car shows anymore. Too many dickheads and they always seem to be part of the ricer group.
I think you missed the point. It is all about respect.

Obviously the vaping Focus bros you experienced didn't have any to begin with. Not for you. Your cars. Or the event. This video is about the counter-culture to all of that. Hence the don't be a dick part. Treat it like it is your own home. If you lack the capacity to do so you will quickly find yourself run out. And in the case of Caffeine and Machine you'll know you were never welcome to begin with. No one person is any better than the next regardless of make, model, or wallet size. Just being a proper enthusiast is enough to come together and celebrate the automotive lifestyle over a cup of coffee.

People can definitely ruin everything... and quickly. So, if you set the conditions from the outset everything should work out. This is why I prefer gathering at the race track because of a singular focus. Autocross even forces you to support the execution of the event as a volunteer. Fuck it up for everyone else by pulling a Dbag stunt and you'll never live it down.

I bet a hard working 40 year old with a tricked out MR2 would be a great person to BS with. The same way @moparjim and @Frenchcat were able to hang out with a 40 year old guy from Ontario and his 39 year old station wagon for a day. We come from all walks of life.

Last edited:

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I think you missed the point. It is all about respect.

Obviously the vaping Focus bros you experienced didn't have any to begin with. Not for you. Your cars. Or the event. This video is about the counter-culture to all of that. Hence the don't be a dick part. Treat it like it is your own home. If you lack the capacity to do so you will quickly find yourself run out. And in the case of Caffeine and Machine you'll know you were never welcome to begin with. No one person is any better than the next regardless of make, model, or wallet size. Just being a proper enthusiast is enough to come together and celebrate the automotive lifestyle over a cup of coffee.

People can definitely ruin everything... and quickly. So, if you set the conditions from the outset everything should work out. This is why I prefer gathering at the racer track because of a singular focus. Autocross even forces you to support the execution of the event as a volunteer. Fuck it up for everyone else by pulling a Dbag stunt and you'll never live it down.

I bet a hard working 40 year old with a tricked out MR2 would be a great person to BS with. The same way @moparjim and @Frenchcat were able to hang out with a 40 year old guy from Ontario and his 39 year old station wagon for a day. We come from all walks of life.
I agree with you it is all about respect. There are jackasses in every group an great people in every group. It is too bad that the jackasses ruin it for everybody.

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
I agree with you it is all about respect. There are jackasses in every group an great people in every group. It is too bad that the jackasses ruin it for everybody.

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Eh, I might be a dick. Car meets in my neck of the woods is alright. I don't really fit in with any crowd so I don't go unless someone specifically invites me.

A while back, I went to a cars and coffee and rode out with a bunch of mopar guys, one of them had a Demon. As usual, I'm the youngest one and these guys were old enough to be my dad or grandpa. These guys ONLY talk mopar and about the trophies they won, love to talk politics, and tried to sell me stickers, vinyl, hood props, etc. Not feeling it, so I just walked around looking at other cars, etc.

The ricer guys...yea, they pull up vaping a huge cloud and usually blasting EDM/Dubstep with a rattle can exhaust. Don't even bother with them.

Tuner guys...I'm a domestic guy so they don't talk to me.

Exotic guys...snobby, usually only discuss golfing, wine, or the next car to add to their list of Porsches and Ferraris. I'm not worthy.

Mustang and Camaro guys, they rev before entering a show or meet to let you know they're here. Usually a big group of them and they're usually obnoxious. Oh, they almost always gun it out of a car meet.

Then again, it could just be me. I enjoy talking about cars, but most car guys I talk to are all about their car being better than yours. Even if they're comparing their BRZ to your Hellcat :rolleyes:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I wasn’t on a car forum until after I raced a car at random. Got the guy to pull over. BSd with him a bit, and he said to follow him to a meet. So I did. Turns out the meet was at Bubble Tea, and most of these guys knew each other from a forum that went by UBRF... it was a local forum for every enthusiast... every shape, size, and budget. I made life long friends as a result. The fact of the matter is, the owner of Bubble Tea just happened to be a guy from the forum, it wasn’t a car place at all. I only watched 2 minutes of the video so far, but I could see a restaurant/lounge/garage being successful. I’ve already designed one in my head. I imagine it would be a tough sell in Buffalo... our Cars & Coffee only get a few weeks a year, but it isn’t like the enthusiasm dies, the cars just hibernate.
I’d like to incorporate a garage into the mix because there is nothing like wrenching with friends; or sharing a wrench with a friend you haven’t met yet. Something like that would help young and old generations.
The reality of it is, our local race track was for sale, and if I would have just won the mega millions at that time; this dream would have been a reality.
I raced at Lancaster since I was a senior in HS...71 till the late 70's....that facility never turned a profit...ever...sad cause I have a ton of memories from that track

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Eh, I might be a dick. Car meets in my neck of the woods is alright. I don't really fit in with any crowd so I don't go unless someone specifically invites me.

A while back, I went to a cars and coffee and rode out with a bunch of mopar guys, one of them had a Demon. As usual, I'm the youngest one and these guys were old enough to be my dad or grandpa. These guys ONLY talk mopar and about the trophies they won, love to talk politics, and tried to sell me stickers, vinyl, hood props, etc. Not feeling it, so I just walked around looking at other cars, etc.

The ricer guys...yea, they pull up vaping a huge cloud and usually blasting EDM/Dubstep with a rattle can exhaust. Don't even bother with them.

Exotic guys...snobby, usually only discuss golfing, wine, or the next car to add to their list of Porsches and Ferraris. I'm not worthy.

Mustang and Camaro guys, they rev before entering a show or meet to let you know they're here. Usually a big group of them and they're usually obnoxious. Oh, they almost always gun it out of a car meet.

Then again, it could just be me. I enjoy talking about cars, but most car guys I talk to are all about their car being better than yours. Even if they're comparing their BRZ to your Hellcat :rolleyes:
Agree with 95% of this summarization. I never did the car meet show thing. I've done them for the last three yrs. or so but hadn't done a "show" thing since almost forever before recently. The sad thing is there are no "real" car guys left in the world (at least around my parts - that's why I'm on this forum! LOL). 99% of these guys don't even know what a piston IS. Timing advance "ha..what?", compression ratio:unsure:, cam specs :rolleyes: ,heads?? And forget about real mods. They either don't touch it 'cause "God" ordained it from the factory like that ( I will NEVER understand that thinking) or they just don't know how and haven't saved enough money yet to bring it somewhere to have it done for them. Don't want to be a reverse elitest but that's just the way I feel.
Very hard to get people with the same car brand interest together without some cliques or conflict, much less different brands and genres. Maybe they got more kumbaya in Europe.

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
99% of these guys don't even know what a piston IS. Timing advance "ha..what?", compression ratio:unsure:, cam specs :rolleyes: ,heads?? And forget about real mods.
I get the same reaction with our LS swapped cars - mostly because they only ever see it in magazines or on YouTube. Who did the work? Me. All of it. Soup to nuts. But, it is awesome to be able to show people it can be done... and the enthusiasm expressed by my kids who helped.

Hell... I ported and shimmed an oil pump last night, and am headed out to the garage in a second to start porting some cylinder heads. 20 more days of vacation to make more headway on the projects.

They either don't touch it 'cause "God" ordained it from the factory like that ( I will NEVER understand that thinking) or they just don't know how and haven't saved enough money yet to bring it somewhere to have it done for them. Don't want to be a reverse elitest but that's just the way I feel.
Ummm... you know that you just described 95% of the HC community, right?

Very hard to get people with the same car brand interest together without some cliques or conflict, much less different brands and genres. Maybe they got more kumbaya in Europe.
But, that is Larry Chen's point: most North Americans are dicks. Which begs the question: Why did it get to that point, and are we willing to fix it?

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Funny I blueprinted the oil pump on my BBC with a piece of plate glass and wet sandpaper. LOL. Also did all my own port work and the Dremel and cutting bits have come in handy on a MILLION other things not even related to auto's. Same with a welder. Once you get it, get's used for many jobs. I custom fabbed every piece on my BBC install in my '57 Chevy, bumper to bumper. Did things by hand you would only believe could be done by a machine shop. Spent countless nights 'till wee hours getting done, then going to work. Not tooting a horn, just showing the kind of commitment and passion I had. I'm 'kinda past that now and half the reason I went with modern iron, but I'm still somewhat involved in it. I believe any real car guy should be. At 40 your still a punk kid, have at it! :LOL:.
The other thing. Yes I have noticed that about the Hellcat (and Mopar community in general) they are very much into the factory ordained designation and numbers of a vehicle (very much like the 'vette guys or worse. Eeech). Every mark/ community has it's personality I guess.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Funny I blueprinted the oil pump on my BBC with a piece of plate glass and wet sandpaper. LOL. Also did all my own port work and the Dremel and cutting bits have come in handy on a MILLION other things not even related to auto's. Same with a welder. Once you get it, get's used for many jobs. I custom fabbed every piece on my BBC install in my '57 Chevy, bumper to bumper. Did things by hand you would only believe could be done by a machine shop. Spent countless nights 'till wee hours getting done, then going to work. Not tooting a horn, just showing the kind of commitment and passion I had. I'm 'kinda past that now and half the reason I went with modern iron, but I'm still somewhat involved in it. I believe any real car guy should be. At 40 your still a punk kid, have at it! :LOL:.
The other thing. Yes I have noticed that about the Hellcat (and Mopar community in general) they are very much into the factory ordained designation and numbers of a vehicle (very much like the 'vette guys or worse. Eeech). Every mark/ community has it's personality I guess.
So if you have pictures like these on your phone (work you have done) what does that say about you?

B946AFC3-832D-4E69-9DDB-3B3A52FB20EF.jpeg 9D0DD51F-B935-4C03-BBEE-55ADA1AB88C3.jpeg 140994CA-2BE3-4209-97D4-A9145D89062B.jpeg
Does spending about 32 hrs (had to do it twice) spent hovering over a set of cast iron cylinder heads trying to get ever hp for your engine build show enough commitment?
I like to be able to say, I did that, when asked which part? - I can say; all of it... engine, suspension, welding, bodywork, paint, interior.
Some of that comes from not being able to pay someone else (it's expensive!!!) and I like doing it the way I want it.
(Of course some work almost always has to be done by others - but not much)
I haven't really touched the Hellcat (yet?) - because it's still new to me and it works well as it is - so why mess with a good thing?
I think all of us come from different backgrounds as far as the Hellcats go which is what also brings it all together - I want to hear other opinions.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
So if you have pictures like these on your phone (work you have done) what does that say about you?

View attachment 9080 View attachment 9081 View attachment 9079
Does spending about 32 hrs (had to do it twice) spent hovering over a set of cast iron cylinder heads trying to get ever hp for your engine build show enough commitment?
I like to be able to say, I did that, when asked which part? - I can say; all of it... engine, suspension, welding, bodywork, paint, interior.
Some of that comes from not being able to pay someone else (it's expensive!!!) and I like doing it the way I want it.
I haven't really touched the Hellcat (yet?) - because it's still new to me and it works well as it is - so why mess with a good thing?
I think all of us come from different backgrounds as far as the Hellcats go which is what also brings it all together - I want to hear other opinions.
Not looking to smear anyone or get into an online fight. No offense to you. Just an observation. And two things: One, you gotta admit your prob less than the one percenters who do that and Two, most Mopar guys are hardcore numbers guys more than other brands.
I did my porting before I had a phone so they're not on there. LOL But I have pic's somewhere and I'll try to find.
I also agree 100% on the Hellcat statement.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

View attachment 9080 View attachment 9081 View attachment 9079
Not that this has anything to do with this thread (sorry Mike). I just don't want anyone to think I'm full of sh%$ and don't (or didn't) walk the walk or put my money where my mouth is. I finally found these old pics of the temporary dirt floor garage me and my friend Jim put up in a couple hrs. that was used for the build. I had better close ups of the chambers and ports on the heads but can't find.

Attachments

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
$5 in screws and $40 for the tarp. I don’t have finished pics, but it goes to show that excuses don’t get work done.
There are plenty of people “like us” driving rotted civic hatches and GTIs, and Porsches... gotta give everyone a chance to earn your respect. For everything other than the HC - I am the warranty.

Attachments

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat

I feel the same way but never put words to it...well said.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Not looking to smear anyone or get into an online fight. No offense to you. Just an observation. And two things: One, you gotta admit your prob less than the one percenters who do that and Two, most Mopar guys are hardcore numbers guys more than other brands.
I did my porting before I had a phone so they're not on there. LOL But I have pic's somewhere and I'll try to find.
I also agree 100% on the Hellcat statement.
No offense taken - but I was being a little bit of a smart ass (lol) - just my nature... In all honestly I am not into buying a finished project like some of the car show guys. it's not me and
I just enjoy building the projects I have - each is unique and has touches that make it unique - it's what I like to do.

Not that this has anything to do with this thread (sorry Mike). I just don't want anyone to think I'm full of sh%$ and don't (or didn't) walk the walk or put my money where my mouth is. I finally found these old pics of the temporary dirt floor garage me and my friend Jim put up in a couple hrs. that was used for the build. I had better close ups of the chambers and ports on the heads but can't find.
I remember some of those projects - my first real motor removal was a Mustang 289 (not mine) using a tree limb and a come a long - it makes me laugh now... serious stuff then. Cool pics - lets see more!