Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Don't think I like my 3.09s

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I know this is not supposed to happen, but are you getting any slippage with the rubber? I've had a drag radials spin / leave rubber without seeming to be spinning from the "feel" standpoint. But those tires you have, not sure that could be it.
A lot of time when I look back at my marks in the rear view mirror, it's almost like my drag radials have cleaned off the pavement like you just scrubbed it with a pencil eraser or something... and yes I do it almost every time I drive it :)

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
DRs being soft can leave rubber without spinning.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
true, but I can't believe these were leaving as much as they did just grabbing. its possible but I think there had to be at least some spin. might account for OPs lack of that seat of the pants on fire feeling

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
There he is @moparjim , I told you he had a Unicorn with rainbows , NOW do you people believe me ?

How did you sneak that pic. ?..... no one has been able to , I think bc he has magic dust too & he disappears quickly.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
There he is @moparjim , I told you he had a Unicorn with rainbows , NOW do you people believe me ?

How did you sneak that pic. ?..... no one has been able to , I think bc he has magic dust too & he disappears quickly.
How did he get my pic riding that thing. LMAO

Member ID
Reactions
City
Evansville
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
REWB
Terms like "better" are pointless without some type of qualifier. Better for what? And for whom? 2.62 to 3.09 is only .47 of ratio. In the grand scheme of things, that's not enough to make a huge difference in a drag race situation. A couple hundred rpm maybe? It'd be the equivalent of changing out the 3.42's in my firebird to a 3.90 which isn't even enough to justify the cost. I ordered the 3.09 in my redeye because A: it's a heavy car and a little better leverage arm will help get her moving with less driveline stress and B: it'll be mostly a street toy and a little lower (numerical higher) ratio will get her into the sweet spot (through the 2000-3000 rpm's) a tad quicker at part throttle aka "make her a bit more peppy". Will it help or hinder at the dragstrip? Depends. With me, it'll hinder for a while until I get used to launching such a heavy car with this much torque. For the more experienced........might help, might not. Depends on their preference for launch rpm and track conditions........but either way, in a race application, .47 ratio just isn't going to be a game changer. I could even see it being more beneficial in a road course situation (Gatzby?) when gearing for a specific turn/corner on a track........but even then, that's what the paddle shifters are for. I also like that I can lower the equivalent ratio down close to the 2.62 with a simple tire change to test with. Comes back to better for what? And for whom?

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I made the switch to 3.09's for this year. Night and day for street driving, but I'll see how it does at the track. I have the 315/50/17 tire behind it. Curious to see how it does. I think I have enough top end to not worry about the seat of the pants feel, but I'll report.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Terms like "better" are pointless without some type of qualifier. Better for what? And for whom? 2.62 to 3.09 is only .47 of ratio. In the grand scheme of things, that's not enough to make a huge difference in a drag race situation. A couple hundred rpm maybe? It'd be the equivalent of changing out the 3.42's in my firebird to a 3.90 which isn't even enough to justify the cost. I ordered the 3.09 in my redeye because A: it's a heavy car and a little better leverage arm will help get her moving with less driveline stress and B: it'll be mostly a street toy and a little lower (numerical higher) ratio will get her into the sweet spot (through the 2000-3000 rpm's) a tad quicker at part throttle aka "make her a bit more peppy". Will it help or hinder at the dragstrip? Depends. With me, it'll hinder for a while until I get used to launching such a heavy car with this much torque. For the more experienced........might help, might not. Depends on their preference for launch rpm and track conditions........but either way, in a race application, .47 ratio just isn't going to be a game changer. I could even see it being more beneficial in a road course situation (Gatzby?) when gearing for a specific turn/corner on a track........but even then, that's what the paddle shifters are for. I also like that I can lower the equivalent ratio down close to the 2.62 with a simple tire change to test with. Comes back to better for what? And for whom?
I agree with your thinking but in gearing.47 is quite a bit a difference , everyday driver not so much but when racing at the drag strip where you are squeezing every hundredth or tenth out of the car it becomes a big factor, depending on your set up gearing and tire size can be the difference between going through the 1/4 mile trap in 5th or 6th , I think most of us agree the 60 ft makes a big difference in the et as well , also depending on your set up gearing can help on launching the car as well with traction , it’s definitely easier to get the 2.62 to hook then the 3.09 I know because I’ve went back and forth several times

Member ID
Reactions
City
Evansville
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
REWB
I agree with your thinking but in gearing.47 is quite a bit a difference , everyday driver not so much but when racing at the drag strip where you are squeezing every hundredth or tenth out of the car it becomes a big factor, depending on your set up gearing and tire size can be the difference between going through the 1/4 mile trap in 5th or 6th , I think most of us agree the 60 ft makes a big difference in the et as well , also depending on your set up gearing can help on launching the car as well with traction , it’s definitely easier to get the 2.62 to hook then the 3.09 I know because I’ve went back and forth several times
That's a good point, for those who race a lot. I tend to think in more of a "street fun guy who messes around at a track once in a while". For me, I just don't see it being a game changer for a LONG time until I'm proficient with the car. And, I can change total ratio with a tire change to see what works best for me. But I can see where serious racers who are looking for that last hundredth or thousandth would be fanatical about rear gearing.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Yeah , I agree with what @hellno said , .47 is a lot , almost a 1/2 a tire rotation , it gets you through & to the shift points quicker & holds the rpm's up more for the next shift & so on.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
If youre a top end speed person then ya youre not going to like losing those last few mph. Comes with the territory. Simple physics. Changing the gears isnt adding hp and it directly affects top end.
So in essence what your saying is @ top end..your running out of motor with the 3.09's?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
For me I will never know what the very top end is anyway , I've been 165mph & that's fast enough , I know it will do 180 > 190 , but I don't really need to find out. :eek:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Your right, actually on most of the course it really don't matter. The point of concern is interesting and very important. At the home course we will be exploring the top of 6th, paddle shift or not, if it was the 2.62 as it was with the HC it did not matter much. with this one, we are both at the top side, but it also gets to a critical speed at a location before the HC with its more power. That has me searching for a new set of markers for off the throttle, and either a little brake, or let it slow me down just a little, but this is at over 160 mph!! The RE looks like a 165 max especially coming out of the last corner faster, may hapoen. I am going to have a little chat with a couple of the more senior guys next month about that. I think it may just be good that we have it out hanging at the top of an RPM band and the RE engine has a couple more 100 rpm in its capability. We will be looking and analyzing videos and numbers from Harry's track app real close for a few sessions.

It is more "peppy", but I am comparing it to a HC also. It is noticeable when I need to just follow another car waiting to pass. It is amazing what just partial throttle does. It is real smooth! Exploring that without worry about "speeding" is way cool to do.

DFW_Redeye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dallas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
This topic was discussed in depth on the “forum that shall not be named” several years ago and one poster in particular had a very good detailed write up of the differences between the 2.62 and 3.09 and they backed it up with track results! These weren’t Redeyes but I still think the information is useful because every car forum people visit there’s always the same ole questions: what’s the best tire, what’s the best motor oil, what’s the best gear ratio, who makes the best catch can...lol.

Anyway, the person I am speaking of is none other than @DRAGRCR Perhaps he can chime in to lay some knowledge down harder than a Pirelli p-Zero on a cold winter morning....

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
This topic was discussed in depth on the “forum that shall not be named” several years ago and one poster in particular had a very good detailed write up of the differences between the 2.62 and 3.09 and they backed it up with track results! These weren’t Redeyes but I still think the information is useful because every car forum people visit there’s always the same ole questions: what’s the best tire, what’s the best motor oil, what’s the best gear ratio, who makes the best catch can...lol.

Anyway, the person I am speaking of is none other than @DRAGRCR Perhaps he can chime in to lay some knowledge down harder than a Pirelli p-Zero on a cold winter morning....
I just ordered and took delivery of my RedEye. I ordered the 3.09's and I would not even think of getting it without the 3.09's except for one thing. That would be if I planned on modifying the car for big power........ I also don't race on the street, or race on street tires on the track, or horse around on the street too much. The 3.09's would not be an advantage for any of those activities but not a factor for me. I race on the track so I am fully aware of what it can do and who it can beat. But just normal street driving I much prefer the 3.09's. On a dead stock Hellcat if you are able to dead hook on the race track it will get you about a tenth. I was going to say if you ran on a limited size tire due to class requirements you might want 2.62's but I do not think that argument is valid. Because I have the Hoosier Drag Bracket Radial 28/10.5R17 and I will be shocked if they do not hook real well on good prep on my RedEye. That tire is equivlent to the MT ET STREET R 305/45R17 and I expect that tire would hook as well on really good prep. My Friend just ran with the Hoosiers on his stock Demon on the 840 tune and it hooked real well at my local track and put up really good if not amazing 60 foot times for the conditions. In fact I made 4 passes in that car and it became my 7th Demon that I have made passes in.

If you really knew that your track does not prep that well and you race there often and could not go anywhere else I suppose I would stick with the 2.62's and the 315/50R17's just to kill some starting line ratio and give the car a chance to hook.

Years ago when you got to about 500 HP on a good dual purpose or bracket car you had to start thinking about killing some starting line ratio. The goal was to get below 10:1. Nowadays with the tire technology and the traction compounds and track prep that has changed. With the power we have and the poor front to rear weight bias we have I find it absolutely amazing what we are able to do now.