Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

DRAGRCR ONESEAT DEMON WHAT ARE THE ODDS?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Went to MATS last weekend. Had a nice drive out and ALMOST did not make it................. Getting off the exit, right at the race track this happened.

Ron, I watch a lot of YouTube flicks of stupid drivers doing just that. I have said and I repeat, maybe the best place to drive my car is on closed courses and not the street any longer.
I had to brake that hard last week in a roundabout. I guy did about the same thing and crossed me and another person to my right who was also in the roundabout. Without the reflexes that are sharpened by the driving we both do, I believe both of us may have had a T-Bone to munch on!

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 SRT Super Stock 2022 Ram 1500 TRX
Mac's tiedowns is the place to shop for your securing needs.
Been using them for 20 plus years and have never had a strap come loose or cut one.

My one "oh Sh*t" moment was similar to yours Ron, except it was a loaded dump truck that crossed in front of me.
Back then I was driving a Dodge 1 ton dually pulling a 26 ft. enclosed trailer.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
If a strap does get loose

those wheel chalks

will help keep the car in place.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #324
Finally got the front NHRA legal setup together...... 32.4 pounds ready to mount.

0401221404_HDR.jpg 0401221404.jpg 0401221404a.jpg

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
That's pretty light. Mine's 38lbs on a 28x4.5 RM and Dark Star wheel.

challenger_hellcat_plastidip_race_setup_10.JPG

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Good looking tire. Being Load range C as well as LT I would guess they're plenty good to drive back and forth to the track with?

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #327
Good looking tire. Being Load range C as well as LT I would guess they're plenty good to drive back and forth to the track with?
They look to be slightly over loaded, but I will keep them at the full 50 PSI or a little more, and drive on them. They have the same limitations as the ET STREET R's that are going on the back. I have driven a couple hundred miles, raced and then driven home on them. I just would not do it if they were really worn, and paper thin, because they might not survive pot holes or road debris that well.

This is actually my street setup. All my OEM stuff is gone and I only wanted two really good setups for the car. Not a bunch of stuff sitting around that I never use........

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Last edited:

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I like that wheel tire combination. That tire is a nice compromise for a occasionally street driven car and the DOT requirements for the street classes. My Billet Specialties Comp 7’s and M/T ET Fronts are 25 lbs. No more street driving for me 😕 5CE9C13A-9A5C-4910-B033-0B9162496320.jpeg

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #330
I like that wheel tire combination. That tire is a nice compromise for a occasionally street driven car and the DOT requirements for the street classes. My Billet Specialties Comp 7’s and M/T ET Fronts are 25 lbs. No more street driving for me 😕 View attachment 67631
You had me running to their web site. I looked that wheel up. Then I remembered you changed to the 4.5" Bolt Pattern. Damn nice looking wheel Marc.........The 17" setups we run on the Demon are 25 Pounds and the 18X5" setup I run is 27 pounds. It's Re-Sale, I tell you......Plus I like the shorter sidewall on the 18X5 setup. Theoretically it should handle better.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
You had me running to their web site. I looked that wheel up. Then I remembered you changed to the 4.5" Bolt Pattern. Damn nice looking wheel Marc.........The 17" setups we run on the Demon are 25 Pounds and the 18X5" setup I run is 27 pounds. It's Re-Sale, I tell you......Plus I like the shorter sidewall on the 18X5 setup. Theoretically it should handle better.
The Comp 7's are sweet. They're so light its rediculous. That's what I went to for the rear when I went to the 4-link so it's a match. I think they will custom make those in the 115mm pattern but not in the 18. It's strictly a 17' wheel. That size with the ET-Fronts are what the new Dragpaks are running now. They ditched the 15". I think their timeframe now if you have to order is about three months. I just finally came to the conclusion that the damn thing is a race car now so stop thinking about wether it will work on the street. 9B838684-8D32-466C-A224-05EE055BC78F.jpeg

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #332
The rears are done. 49.4 pounds ready to bolt on. Mickey Thompson 305/45R17 ET STREET R on a Dodge Wide Body 17X10 Billet Specialties Win Lite. All balanced up using my balance method (see paint marks). Note : Win Lites are knurled now.

0402220936.jpg 0401220743.jpg 0401220743a.jpg

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Will that tiny bit of knurl really do anything?

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #334
Will that tiny bit of knurl really do anything?
It likely depends on the tires. When they pop into position they actually are tight on the ID. If they are tight they should hold. But they are not all the same in this respect. Plus it still makes a difference what pressure you run etc. I doubt they would do this if it did not make some difference. But I have heard of tires slipping with knurled bead seats. I have heard that sand blasting this area can make the tires hold. So anything to rough up this area might help.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
my 15 inch forgestar wheels are slipping on the beads worse than my 18 inch. took them apart thinking they needed knurled only to find they already are.
forgestar recommended trying high tack spray. if this doesn`t work, time for beadlocks.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Knurls from Hell 👹 79AF7D1C-5C14-4558-B9E0-AB2ACE6CB2A0.jpeg

hell on wheels

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
my 15 inch forgestar wheels are slipping on the beads worse than my 18 inch. took them apart thinking they needed knurled only to find they already are.
forgestar recommended trying high tack spray. if this doesn`t work, time for beadlocks.
I use the Hi tack
Slips a couple times then one side holds
Other tire slips about 1 “ per weekend at the Drag strip

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I use the Hi tack
Slips a couple times then one side holds
Other tire slips about 1 “ per weekend at the Drag strip
I see a lot of company`s offer a high tack adhesive, which one did you use??

hell on wheels

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
Permatex brush on.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #340
When all is not right in Ronnie's world.

Regrettable possible abuse of my Demon.
Etc.

OK, so I went to Red List in Bakersfield / Famoso on April 9th. Overall, the car did not work right. I was bummed. To add insult to injury, this likely allowed one of my Friends to squeak past me on points and pocket the $1000 cash to win. In the fall at Famoso / Red List and recently at MATS the car worked beautifully. At the Match race Madness in Feb at Irwindale it even did a 6.10 in the 1/8th and did some amazing PB 60 foots 1.32 and 1.33. Now the car would launch OK on the hit and then by the 3rd pass out of 13, the car spun when it shifted to second gear. Pass after Pass it got progressively worse where it started spinning all the way through 2nd gear and then it even short shifting to 3rd and even spinning a little on the 3-4 shift. All the while hooking on the hit. VERY confusing. If it hooks on the hit, the only thing I can think of is the prep down track is insufficient. I complained. They sprayed more and dragged the track. It did not help at all. Are they spraying straight alcohol? Are they cheaping out?
The tires are the 28X10.5R17 Hoosier DBR and they always worked. Amazingly well really. They are approximately 2 years old. The last 6 months ONE of them started losing a little air. Maybe 10 pounds in 3 weeks when the car was being stored.
So, now my world is all jacked up. I decided to go to Irwindale less than a week later for the Thursday night Drags. 610 Miles RT and $300 in fuel (well spent BTW). I HAD to see what was going on. It drives me crazy. So, before I went out there, I swapped the slicks side to side and that gave me an opportunity to soap up the offending tire. Air was coming out the SIDEWALL. It did NOT do this at all earlier in its life.
So, I get to Irwindale and the car hooks good on the first run and does not spin on the 1-2 and runs a 6.232. Second pass it chatters the tires all the way through first but still manages a 6.229. Third pass it spins on the hit and I pedal it to a 6.60. Fourth pass it spins and I abort that pass altogether. Son of a bitch.
I went back to the pits and swapped out wheels and tires. I HATE doing this at the track but I came prepared. Hoosier 29.5X11.5R18 DBR on OEM Demon rims. A much taller and heavier setup. Car DEAD HOOKS like I have not felt in a while. Runs 6.229, 6.191 and 6.200. Another note. With the old tires the car was trying to spin donuts in the burnout. New tires burnout is dead straight. Removing old tires, one is normal dry slick rubber with minimal rocks, the other is MOLTEN. It was completely greasy / sticky with all kinds of crap stuck to it. This CAN'T be good for the Diff.
So apparently one of the smaller older tires delaminated and killed the sidewall. Next time do not blame the race track. Heavy Challengers with power KILL smaller race tires. Make a mental note.

. 0413221242.jpg

Last edited: