Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Got a new mod :)

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
@Speedy!
I log all of them for reference. It shows what's going on from the time the air enters the intake system to going into the cylinders .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Kotta376

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fate
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
While I agree with most of what you said Speedy, the initial IATs at the start of the run are important. I use cruising highway speed since it is a constant and the opposing variables are less likely to affect the outcome of the air temps. I have data logs to support in two different runs on the stock air box that the start of one run it was 108F and ran “x” time. The next run started at 123F and ran .08 slower and exactly 1mph in the 1/8 mile.
Now if we can have supporting data showing that the JLT or even an LMI will decrease the rise of IATs on the run versus stock air box that is something worth mentioning. I don’t believe the air charge will change hardly at all switching to an aftermarket intake versus stock even with a mild pullied car. I could be wrong since I haven’t logged any with an aftermarket intake. If the stock air box is restrictive in any way with a pullied car then why not just pull the filter at the track to show if there is any gains and it will show in the logs if the air charge has changed?
Just an idea, I really like the form and figment of the JLT intake a lot but I’m trying to decide if it will have an impact on actual airflow and IAT rise during a run.

Kotta376

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fate
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I have a theroy . With the bigger intake tube it holds more volume and with highway or low rpm driving the air in the tube is not moving fast enough so it heats up . But once you open the throttle blade more then say 25% the air starts moving and the iat's will drop fast .

This could be true, with more cross sectional area the air will move slower but also shouldn’t heat up as quickly either with more area to actually “heat”?

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #44
I don't have track data from the JLT yet, but I do have 1/4 mile logs with the LMI at my finger tips here. On March 7th 2020 at Beech Bend Raceway I made three 9.83 passes. The car has the 2.72 pulley as I mentioned and shift points were 6500 RPM. I believe, at least on my 2016 with the temp sensor in the blower base, that the metal around the sensor has a much larger impact on temperature than the air coming in the intake. I believe the primary benefit of an intake system is the volume of air flow, not the temperatures for the most part.

Supercharger coolant temp in the logs was 73-77° F

Run 1
Ambient air temp in the log 54° F
Aircharge temp after burnout at staging lights 108° F
Aircharge temp at the end of the run, 5800 RPM in 5th gear (A8) 133° F
9.83@140.02

Run 2
Ambient air temp in the log 52° F
Aircharge temp after burnout at staging lights 104° F
Aircharge temp at the end of the run 5800 RPM in 5th 134° F
9.83@137.86

Run 3
Ambient air temp in the log 55° F
Aircharge temp after burnout at staging lights 100° F
Aircharge temp at the end of the run 5800 RPM in 5th 131° F
9.83@138.94

All passes were made in the same right hand lane. 60' were all 1.48-1.52.

I've only done street testing thus far with the JLT. With ambient temp in the log of 86° F and a starting aircharge temp of 100° F and a pull starting in 3rd gear at 3,000 RPM and going through to 5th gear at 5500 RPM the ending aircharge temp was 131° F. Supercharger coolant temp in the log was 91° F.

EDIT: I found logs from November 9, 2019 Beech Bend with the LMI. Air temp was about 60° in the log and with similar starting airchage temps max aircharge temp at the end of the 1/4 at 5800 RPM in 5th was 127° F. So that's why I'm saying there are too many variables to really compare temps down to single digit degrees. Who knows why on a warmer ambient the ending aircharge was cooler.

EDIT2: I did find a log with the stock air box. Beech Bend Raceway 3-10-2019.
Ambient air temp in the log 55° F
Aircharge temp after burnout at staging lights 108° F
Aircharge temp at the end of the run 5700 RPM in 5th 133° F
10.33@133.75 1.63 60' (93 octane run)

Last edited:

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
The 2018 and up have a IAT sensor instead of a MAF sensor. I log MAT, IAT , ambient temperature, and air charge temperature in my logs for a comparison .

Hpindy is that IAT sensor in the intake tube on 18 and up shown anywhere on the performance pages?
I think what I'm currently seeing on inlet air temp on the performance pages is post or after blower discharge temps.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #46
I believe it would have to be @Octanewide else you wouldn't know what the air temp going in to the cylinders is. If it's higher than ambient at WOT it's definitely post blower.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
I believe it would have to be @Octanewide else you wouldn't know what the air temp going in to the cylinders is. If it's higher than ambient at WOT it's definitely post blower.
Speedy I think on 18's+ it's a post blower temp we are seeing on the performance pages as IAT temp. I'm not sure where that inlet tube sensor that is pre throttlebody is being read at.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Hpindy is that IAT sensor in the intake tube on 18 and up shown anywhere on the performance pages?
I think what I'm currently seeing on inlet air temp on the performance pages is post or after blower discharge temps.
I'm not sure . On my performance pages I have a guage called " intake air temperature " and to be honest I'm not sure where it gets its data from . But I can tell you this if the ambient temp is 60F and my low speed IAT reading is 90F and I flash the throttle it will drop to about 80F instantly and either drop more if the throttle is open still or go back up if the throttle is closed . I have not done any long WOT pulls yet so I don't have any data on WOT yet .

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
In one of my older logs from the track my IAT went down and was equal to ambient temp by the 1/8 I think but the MAT and aircharge temp kept going up till I let off the throttle then they came down and the IAT started going up .

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
This could be true, with more cross sectional area the air will move slower but also shouldn’t heat up as quickly either with more area to actually “heat”?
Like I said it was a theroy. My theroy is its sitting in the "tube" and not being consumed fast enough and it's picking up radiant heat from the engine bay.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
I'm not sure . On my performance pages I have a guage called " intake air temperature " and to be honest I'm not sure where it gets its data from . But I can tell you this if the ambient temp is 60F and my low speed IAT reading is 90F and I flash the throttle it will drop to about 80F instantly and either drop more if the throttle is open still or go back up if the throttle is closed . I have not done any long WOT pulls yet so I don't have any data on WOT yet .

Exactly. I too want to know where this sensor is being read on the air inlet tube.. 20200512_161223.jpg

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Exactly. I too want to know where this sensor is being read on the air inlet tube.. View attachment 17352
I wonder if it's used in the calculations. Like it takes reads from ambient, pre throttle body IAT , MAT and uses them to calculate something?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I guess I'd be interested in the JLT's (or AFe Pro 5 R) performance differences with the hood vent blocked vs open, for us with the old style hood. (If there are any.)

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #54
On my 2016 the dash digital gauge labeled "intake air temp" is the one by the throttle body I "think". Do the 2018 and up not have a MAF in the intake tube any longer?

iat_sensor.png

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
On my 2016 the dash digital gauge labeled "intake air temp" is the one by the throttle body I "think". Do the 2018 and up not have a MAF in the intake tube any longer?

View attachment 17353
No . The MAF is gone on 2018 and up . Just the PVC and IAT sensor now .

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Add me to the want to know what that temp sensor in the intake does. Just installed the JLT in my 2019. On a brief test drive I had 75F ambient and 110 to 130 shown on the IAT gauge. Didn't learn much as traffic was about like there was no Covid....damn people, these roads are supposed to be just for me!

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Roger that. My old eyes were seeing things.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #60
Thanks to @Hpindy for the info on some other temp PIDs to monitor. I added manifold air temp and intake air temp. Intake air temp must be read in the intake tube as it was 4-5° F over ambient. Manifold air temp had the highest readings and aircharge temp (in HPTuners) lined up with what the dash gauge reads as "intake air temp".