Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Modded Hellcat vs 93 tuned GT500

762CAT

Founding Member
Member ID
City
Somewhere in...
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat Challenger & Charger
Here is a list from my first build and what I would consider a minimum. Add to that a DSS driveshaft and midpipes and an LMI and a set of 18's with MT ET Street Rs. That Hellcat specifically may not need a driveshaft to roll race but I've seen enough break in person to consider it a necessity. I was under the impression E85 required a BAP to be safe? Sensors I was referring to are the O2 and T-Stat. You cant just slap a smaller pulley on with out a bunch of other work. It's misleading to list every lil part on the GT500 and say the Hellcat is just a pulley and midpipes is my point. There are always supporting mods. Pinning the crank also IMHO needed but I know some folks don't.

HCSCP-C - Metco Motorsports Supercharger Pulley Kit - 2.85"
HCSCP-RC - Metco Motorsports Supercharger Pulley Ring - 2.65"
K100572HD - Gates FleetRunner Micro V Belt
ER14S - Brisk Racing HEMI Spark Plugs x 16
HC-PCM - PCM Unlock Service
3877 - Innovate LC2 Digital Wideband Lambda Sensor Controller x 2
T1015 - DiabloSport Trinity Analog I/O Pigtail
1194A - Vibrant Standard Oxygen Sensor Bung - T304 Stainless Steel x 2
HellCat Crank Bolt
Stant XactStat 180* Thermostat
CMR Tuning - Pump93 + MS109
ID1050 Injectors

OP
PIPO

PIPO

Member ID
City
Manhattan
State
KS
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 C7 Z06
Thread Starter #22
I think most people know about the supporting mods.
I think the race didn’t happen last night but it’s happening tonight.

OP
PIPO

PIPO

Member ID
City
Manhattan
State
KS
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 C7 Z06
Thread Starter #23
It does need injectors to run E85, anyway, where are last nights results!
Here they are.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Hellcats come with all of the o2 sensors you need from the factory. Nobody should list that as a mod - it’s a gauge. That’s why you don’t see anyone listing it as a mod. You also don’t see alcohol sensors listed as mods. Mods are typically power adding. Which is why you don’t also see the belt they added to run the pulley, or the pin kit if they chose to install one, etc...
All a Cat needs to run e85 is injectors, BAP, tune. Plenty of people have done it that way. Sure, you can add more to help support it, but it isn’t needed... we don’t need an exhaustive list of stuff that’s been put on the car to compare the 2. That’s all I was getting at.

Member ID
City
Gilbert
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I would have thought the hellcat would put up a better race than that. Got pulled on hard.

Those C6Zs and 3000lbs are deadly when modded

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Looks like they did a 60-120mph race or so. Not much of race imo, but that's how freeway pulls are. Now lets see that race again from a dig (Both cars on drag radials). Will the GT500 win? Maybe, but I think the race would be closer imo. The GT500 should win either race though, it's the lighter car with the bigger s/c.

From the comment section the quickest he has managed so far is a 10.1 @144 with his mods. That Hellcat should go 9s with those mods easily.

That's all I'm seeing so far is GT500 roll racing.

Last edited:

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Is the HC going to trap 144mph with those mods?

OP
PIPO

PIPO

Member ID
City
Manhattan
State
KS
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 C7 Z06
Thread Starter #28
The Cat will 60’ much better and potentially beat it in the 1/4 mile or make it much closer. But I don’t know it’d trap that high with just those mods.

762CAT

Founding Member
Member ID
City
Somewhere in...
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat Challenger & Charger
Hellcats come with all of the o2 sensors you need from the factory. Nobody should list that as a mod - it’s a gauge. That’s why you don’t see anyone listing it as a mod. You also don’t see alcohol sensors listed as mods. Mods are typically power adding. Which is why you don’t also see the belt they added to run the pulley, or the pin kit if they chose to install one, etc...
All a Cat needs to run e85 is injectors, BAP, tune. Plenty of people have done it that way. Sure, you can add more to help support it, but it isn’t needed... we don’t need an exhaustive list of stuff that’s been put on the car to compare the 2. That’s all I was getting at.

I'm not sure why this is even relevant now as I think my point was totally missed. I was trying to illustrate that the guy that was all butthurt about the GT500 listed every mod on the GT500 vs just a "tuned and pullied E85 car" as if the GT500 was modded to death and the Hellcat was so simple. When in fact by your logic it's just a tuned and pullied GT500. Both have pulleys, tunes, injectors, fuel pump upgrades, drag radials, exhaust modifications of some sort (midpipes, headers) etc.... I guess the GT500 ported the blower.

The 02 sensors on my car are actually extras mounted to AFR bungs welded into the midpipes for the AFR kit. So my car has 4 O2s instead of 2. That's why they were on the list. Anyway who gives a shit at this point. Horse beaten.

OP
PIPO

PIPO

Member ID
City
Manhattan
State
KS
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 C7 Z06
Thread Starter #30
For the record, the GT500 only had a tune when the first race happened. My point is that Phast HEMI listed a bunch of mods done on another GT500 that went 9s, not this one. This one now has similar mods though. That’s why it beat the Hellcat.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
The Cat will 60’ much better and potentially beat it in the 1/4 mile or make it much closer. But I don’t know it’d trap that high with just those mods.
Showing the GT500s strengths without its weakness is silly imo. It has a bigger blower, and weighs less, so mod for mod it should always be quicker from a roll. From a dig you will see the GT500 shortcomings at launching. Can that be remedied for the GT500? Probably in time. What it will take to do so is another question. Point is right out of the box no trans tuning or trans work is needed for the HC/RE/Demon to launch well.

Roll racing is only showing a fraction of this race imo. 60-120 isn't very much of a race in of itself. While trap speed is important so is the hole shot.

OP
PIPO

PIPO

Member ID
City
Manhattan
State
KS
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 C7 Z06
Thread Starter #32
I fully agree. The DCT will hold this car back on the drag strip.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
I fully agree. The DCT will hold this car back on the drag strip.
Seems like Ford is making this car an "Overall" performance car that can road race and drag race. Problem with trying to do everything well and be a jack of all trades, is that you end up being a master of none IMHO. It's not that I hate the GT500, but rather I'm not interested in having an overall car. I prefer a car that is focused on doing ONE thing extremely well. The fact that this Ford can be beat by a 5 year old design that is heavier, with a smaller blower is proof that it isn't focused enough (for me) for drag racing.

Now if we jump to the other side and start talking road racing. I have no real dog in that fight, because I don't really care for road racing. However, if I did want to take corners hard, I'd personally wait and see what the C8 Z06/ZR1 has to offer. I would be shocked (and it's possible) if the C8 Z06/ZR1 is as heavy as either the GT500 or the Hellcat platform.

OP
PIPO

PIPO

Member ID
City
Manhattan
State
KS
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 C7 Z06
Thread Starter #34
The thing is that you won’t catch them at the strip but videos of them beating the competition will start popping up on YouTube. While dangerous, street racing is huge in our country. Then you have the 1/2 mile events. Let’s give them some time. Let’s not forget about all the videos of demons getting trashed when they first came out. Plus the ford fanbase and aftermarket support is 10x bigger than Dodge’s. We will see this car in the 8a before 2021. But I’m sure it’ll cost a fortune and the average Joe won’t go for it.

Doublewide

Member ID
City
Little Rock
State
AR
Country
United States
At the 2:20 mark it looks like the Hellcats brake lights go on. I know that can't be but sure does look like it...

OP
PIPO

PIPO

Member ID
City
Manhattan
State
KS
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 C7 Z06
Thread Starter #36
I thought the same but it’s a change in lighting. It seems to get darker on that segment. You can compare it to when they do in fact hit the brakes.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
The thing is that you won’t catch them at the strip but videos of them beating the competition will start popping up on YouTube. While dangerous, street racing is huge in our country. Then you have the 1/2 mile events. Let’s give them some time. Let’s not forget about all the videos of demons getting trashed when they first came out. Plus the ford fanbase and aftermarket support is 10x bigger than Dodge’s. We will see this car in the 8a before 2021. But I’m sure it’ll cost a fortune and the average Joe won’t go for it.
Nah we'll eventually see them at the strip racing the competition, they can't avoid it forever! :LOL:. Demons got trashed in part because they were roll racing too. Demons were built for drag racing, not roll racing. I have no doubt a solution will be made in time for the DCT, but as you said it will cost a fortune (Plus expensive R&D for owners who want to be first), and most won't get it. Which means at the strip I'll be beating down the average GT500 owner in my Redeye. Don't get me wrong I think it will be a good race, but the upperhand will always go to the Redeye because the DCT is so limited stock and the average owner isn't going to want to spend the money on the trans.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
WTF was all that? Amateur hour? Was that hellcat actually racing at the end?

OP
PIPO

PIPO

Member ID
City
Manhattan
State
KS
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 C7 Z06
Thread Starter #39
Yes, but a very short race. They should’ve raced at least twice.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)