Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

MY TRANSMISSION REPAIR 8hp90

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Couple misconceptions here I need to mention. Track does NOT shift harder than Sport. The opposite is true actually in most cases from what I can tell. Mike taught me that a while back as well when I used to use Track myself. It's complicated, but I found a thread discussing it on the HPTuner forum for anyone that wants to read. it has to do with driving patters, G Forces, and algorithms used to determine which table, or a blend of tables, to use for shift pressures.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?69843-A8-hellcat-labeling

The real meat is in post #9

I've looked through all the shift pressure settings in a 2019 factory Redeye and 2016 factory Hellcat tune. There actually is no pressure setting labeled "TRACK" but there is Normal, Perf, Sport, and Max. Max from best I can tell is a base table of some kind and not actually a maximum since Perf and Sport actually have settings higher than what's in Max.

Surprisingly settings in Normal are HIGHER in the 2016 Hellcat tune than they are in the 2019 Redeye tune. Maybe due to the difference in the torque converter or maybe the extra grunt had them soften the shifts a bit?? This led me to check a 2018 Hellcat factory tune and everything matches the 2016 Hellcat tune EXCEPT Normal. The differences are all over the place so seems even the factory isn't sure what they want. Comparing the Hellcat tune to the Redeye tune Perf and Sport settings they're again kinda all over the place. The big difference is nearly all the settings for "on coming ramp" which the software defines as "oncoming clutch pressure ramp rate". The Redeye oncoming clutch pressure ramp rate settings are MUCH higher values in most cases. I'm not sure if higher = more pressure or if it's a time based value where higher = longer time?? @hellno any idea what that is doing? It's in the "Shift Pressures" "Upshift" table so I ass|u|me it's pressure.

There's not a ton of difference between Sport and Perf but in "most" areas Sport has a higher shift pressure defined. I "ass|u|me" Perf or a derivative is used in Track. Sport is obviously Sport. Here's a screen shot of a few gears showing Normal, Perf, Sport for the 2-3 (top) and 3-4 (bottom) shift so you guys can see. The pressures are different in each gear, but this is a good example. This is from a 2019 Redeye factory tune:

Note it's odd that Sport stops at 516 ft/lb turbine torque where Normal and Perf have a higher setting. Not a big deal, just weird. Sport will use the last row settings for anything over 516.

View attachment 7663
Ok, I'll show my ignorance for the sake of education. I follow the charts (2-3 shifts upper and 3-4 shifts lower and the X/Y axis's of rpm and torque) but what are the actual number values representing?

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
@zhc and @FFBOS. So your saying at the end of a run at 140+ to 155+ The cars have enough braking on just the Brembo's to safely haul it down on most tracks unless there's something unusual with a really short shut off area on some tracks. Because if that's the case I would def have to say that would be easier on the tranny, motor and bearings esp. IMO. Meaning, I dk why that wouldn't be more of a known 'normal use' deal for guys drag racing with the auto.
I use z26 pads and have no issue getting it down. You will smell brakes sometimes, but I feel it is much nicer on the motor and trans.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I use z26 pads and have no issue getting it down. You will smell brakes sometimes, but I feel it is much nicer on the motor and trans.
Must be onto something if you have 21,000 hard WOT street miles and some track time as well at that weight, power level,+ speed and tranny is still fine.

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Must be onto something if you have 21,000 hard WOT street miles and some track time as well at that weight, power level,+ speed and tranny is still fine.
I never go WOT unless I’m in trans track

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Wow - this is a great discussion, my Hellcat is an M6, but I am learning a lot on how everything operates. I know the newer cars have come a long way in transmission designs, but this takes it to whole new level. Auto transmissions are complicated beasts these days - this helps bring a better understanding on what's actually going on inside. Thanks

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Couple misconceptions here I need to mention. Track does NOT shift harder than Sport. The opposite is true actually in most cases from what I can tell. Mike taught me that a while back as well when I used to use Track myself. It's complicated, but I found a thread discussing it on the HPTuner forum for anyone that wants to read. it has to do with driving patters, G Forces, and algorithms used to determine which table, or a blend of tables, to use for shift pressures.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?69843-A8-hellcat-labeling

The real meat is in post #9

I've looked through all the shift pressure settings in a 2019 factory Redeye and 2016 factory Hellcat tune. There actually is no pressure setting labeled "TRACK" but there is Normal, Perf, Sport, and Max. Max from best I can tell is a base table of some kind and not actually a maximum since Perf and Sport actually have settings higher than what's in Max.

Surprisingly settings in Normal are HIGHER in the 2016 Hellcat tune than they are in the 2019 Redeye tune. Maybe due to the difference in the torque converter or maybe the extra grunt had them soften the shifts a bit?? This led me to check a 2018 Hellcat factory tune and everything matches the 2016 Hellcat tune EXCEPT Normal. The differences are all over the place so seems even the factory isn't sure what they want. Comparing the Hellcat tune to the Redeye tune Perf and Sport settings they're again kinda all over the place. The big difference is nearly all the settings for "on coming ramp" which the software defines as "oncoming clutch pressure ramp rate". The Redeye oncoming clutch pressure ramp rate settings are MUCH higher values in most cases. I'm not sure if higher = more pressure or if it's a time based value where higher = longer time?? @hellno any idea what that is doing? It's in the "Shift Pressures" "Upshift" table so I ass|u|me it's pressure.

There's not a ton of difference between Sport and Perf but in "most" areas Sport has a higher shift pressure defined. I "ass|u|me" Perf or a derivative is used in Track. Sport is obviously Sport. Here's a screen shot of a few gears showing Normal, Perf, Sport for the 2-3 (top) and 3-4 (bottom) shift so you guys can see. The pressures are different in each gear, but this is a good example. This is from a 2019 Redeye factory tune:

Note it's odd that Sport stops at 516 ft/lb turbine torque where Normal and Perf have a higher setting. Not a big deal, just weird. Sport will use the last row settings for anything over 516.

View attachment 7663
Stock tunes is 1 thing but once you have a tcm tune , then I guess then it would be up to how the tuner sets things up either in Track or Sport modes , if that matters ?...& I guess the tcm tune would be at WOT mostly anyway ?

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Food for thought, you can always attempt to up the max values to avoid banging into a threshold.

Annotation 2019-12-01 113215.jpg

Factory settings in this TrackHawk tune were 6750 if I remember right:

Annotation 2019-12-01 113215b.jpg

I am not going to commit much brain power to this simply because I don't have anything, or any reason, to test on/against. But, there are usually work-arounds in the software before a new OS gets written.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I never go WOT unless I’m in trans track
Same here. I might play around in street or sport mode for short bursts, but its rarely ever full throttle, just 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. I don't think I've ever run the car to the redline in street mode except when it was completely stock which wasn't long.

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I go Wot in street all the time.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #250
I go Wot in street all the time.
I did it a little too much on mine I think 456 to redline I think the biggest problem was the initial wot kick down from anywhere from 7th or 8th in street with my 2.65 set up logging so I could check all the data the forced downshifting was too much I believe in street mode , I’ll not do it again lol

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I did it a little too much on mine I think 456 to redline I think the biggest problem was the initial wot kick down from anywhere from 7th or 8th in street with my 2.65 set up logging so I could check all the data the forced downshifting was too much I believe in street mode , I’ll not do it again lol
My tuner always advised to never let the car downshift. If I do pulls on the street I’m always in paddles. I select the gear I want and then hammer it.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I would say based on what I'm reading here the amount of Bueno depends on how the tuner set up the Trans tune.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
My tuner always advised to never let the car downshift. If I do pulls on the street I’m always in paddles. I select the gear I want and then hammer it.
This is predominantly how I operate as well.

If I hold the left paddle to select "lowest possible gear" I will let the Trans complete the shift before applying full throttle.

Never let it downshift under anything more than part load...ever...

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I would say based on what I'm reading here the amount of Bueno depends on how the tuner set up the Trans tune.
Yes, but the customer also has to have a clear understanding about what that means.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Which is the root cause of the problem.

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Root cause most of the time is the customer.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #258
Root cause most of the time is the customer.
I agree it was my fault lol

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I agree it was my fault lol
I do believe the tuners could benefit from actually having printed instructions for a guy when he picks up his car. Dos and donts etc.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #260
When curt had me log he always had me put it in manual mode and do 4 th and 5th gear pulls , the logs I did in street mode was of my own doing just to make sure everyone knows I always raced at the track in track mode