Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

MY TRANSMISSION REPAIR 8hp90

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Only a few maybe 3-4 that can be “trusted” in this game.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
@motorhead - you’re giving the guys on here a lot of credit if you think everyone can tune their cars. You’re also discrediting a lot of the good tuners out there, especially those who spend time in the shop and at the track.
You’re nuts if you think the average owner is going to spend $70k on a car and then pull out their laptop to start experimenting. Often times guys buy these cars and drop them off at a shop because it isn’t worth them doing it themselves. It’s the schooling and high paying jobs that usually allows us to pay someone else to do the work while we spend our time on more valuable things.
Everyone on here could build their own house, or do their own taxes too... I wouldn’t recommend doing either if you don’t enjoy it or you have something better to do.
Personally, unless you’re a track rat - and not just a weekend warrior, it is definitely not worth getting into the weeds with this stuff. Let someone else pay for the R&D, and you reap the benefits. Unless you want to be on the bleeding edge, hemorrhaging money, let some other people pay for the knowledge.
Just my $0.02... I’m way more hands on than most, but we don’t all live and die based on how well tuned our cars are. Tuning a car, especially this car, is an extremely dedicated journey and not something you can pick up in a couple weekends.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #283
I enjoy doing the mechanical side myself, I even enjoy diagnostics but when it come to changing the programming that’s not really a part I care to much about at this point in my life

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
It would be easier to get the caramilk secret then get tuners to give up there secret sauce!

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
But you won't even know what the correct recipe is because no one is definitive on info yet. So even if someone( a tuner) say "here's the secret sauce recipe" it may not be. I think @FFBOS is onto something with the driver education and technique being a HUGE factor here. Same way you can help prevent rear diff and axle damage by coming out of burnout box controlled instead of max rpm to zero warm ups.

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
@zhc and @FFBOS. So your saying at the end of a run at 140+ to 155+ The cars have enough braking on just the Brembo's to safely haul it down on most tracks unless there's something unusual with a really short shut off area on some tracks. Because if that's the case I would def have to say that would be easier on the tranny, motor and bearings esp. IMO. Meaning, I dk why that wouldn't be more of a known 'normal use' deal for guys drag racing with the auto.
I have 15” front and rear brake conversions and have no issues slowing down.

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I have 15” front and rear brake conversions and have no issues slowing down.
Slowed that 8.8 lol

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
@motorhead - you’re giving the guys on here a lot of credit if you think everyone can tune their cars. You’re also discrediting a lot of the good tuners out there, especially those who spend time in the shop and at the track.
You’re nuts if you think the average owner is going to spend $70k on a car and then pull out their laptop to start experimenting. Often times guys buy these cars and drop them off at a shop because it isn’t worth them doing it themselves. It’s the schooling and high paying jobs that usually allows us to pay someone else to do the work while we spend our time on more valuable things.
Everyone on here could build their own house, or do their own taxes too... I wouldn’t recommend doing either if you don’t enjoy it or you have something better to do.
Personally, unless you’re a track rat - and not just a weekend warrior, it is definitely not worth getting into the weeds with this stuff. Let someone else pay for the R&D, and you reap the benefits. Unless you want to be on the bleeding edge, hemorrhaging money, let some other people pay for the knowledge.
Just my $0.02... I’m way more hands on than most, but we don’t all live and die based on how well tuned our cars are. Tuning a car, especially this car, is an extremely dedicated journey and not something you can pick up in a couple weekends.
Meh - you guys do you. If you want keep making excuses and continue to bent over by a guy who smells like gravy and wheezes when he walks - well that's your business. Not me. This isn't rocket surgery no matter how hard you convince yourselves that it is, and somehow isn't worth the time to learn and lacks value to pursue being proficient.

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Meh - you guys do you. If you want keep making excuses and continue to bent over by a guy who smells like gravy and wheezes when he walks - well that's your business. Not me. This isn't rocket surgery no matter how hard you convince yourselves that it is, and somehow isn't worth the time to learn and lacks value to pursue being proficient.
It's worth not blowing up a $10,000+ motor lol. The facebook group sees a lot more traffic than here. There are so many customers of tuners who burn plugs, melt pistons, run out of fuel on e85, etc. and immediate say the tune sucks. There is a lot involved with getting it all right and it would take the average guy A LOT of time to figure it out. Most people pay for a package and want a certain RWHP and don't ask questions. They floor it with crap gas and the car eats itself. This is when you will usually see them starting to get on the forums asking questions and finally learning.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #289
I’ve met curt he isn’t what you described at all and he is very knowledgeable

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
And Tim Barth might punch you in the mouth if he thinks you’re talking about him. 😂

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #291
It's worth not blowing up a $10,000+ motor lol. The facebook group sees a lot more traffic than here. There are so many customers of tuners who burn plugs, melt pistons, run out of fuel on e85, etc. and immediate say the tune sucks. There is a lot involved with getting it all right and it would take the average guy A LOT of time to figure it out. Most people pay for a package and want a certain RWHP and don't ask questions. They floor it with crap gas and the car eats itself. This is when you will usually see them starting to get on the forums asking questions and finally learning.
I started with a tuner who didnt know the car fortunately I changed to curt and have been successful since but Motörhead is correct in most instances but there are good tuners that know what they are doing but unfortunately the majority of them aren’t capable

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
When did we reach the determination that any of this was lost on me? I build and tune all of my own cars - consequently my mechanical sympathy and understanding runs far deeper than most. This appreciation makes me treat my stuff with a high level of respect (and why I cringe at Hellcat pump gas tune goals). So yes - play stupid games, win stupid prizes. But, what if you showed up to game prepared and ready to play the game well? I prefer to point the finger at myself when I make a mistake while learning/taking risks, rather than relying on other people to make me winner and whining when they let me down.

As such, I advocate that you all step up and publicize the findings rather than letting a select few squirrel the knowledge away and charge you to benefit from it.

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
When did we reach the determination that any of this was lost on me? I build and tune all of my own cars - consequently my mechanical sympathy and understanding runs far deeper than most. This appreciation makes me treat my stuff with a high level of respect (and why I cringe at Hellcat pump gas tune goals). So yes - play stupid games, win stupid prizes. But, what if you showed up to game prepared and ready to play the game well? I prefer to point the finger at myself when I make a mistake while learning/taking risks, rather than relying on other people to make me winner and whining when they let me down.

As such, I advocate that you all step up and publicize the findings rather than letting a select few squirrel the knowledge away and charge you to benefit from it.
Not lost on you. Customers in general need to educate themselves before they jump "feet first" in. I share all info I can and help anyone I can who asks. Whether it be installs, best "setups", data logging, etc.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
And Tim Barth might punch you in the mouth if he thinks you’re talking about him. 😂
I am not - but if he has a fragile ego, maybe he cannot control his emotions and defaults violent behaviour. That said I doubt he needs you speaking on his behalf.

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I am not an expert on this platform, but I'd say I have a better than average understanding. Been fooling with Dodge cars for 10 or so years and all of them supercharged. It's not rocket surgery but it is quite involved to be honest. I spent just about the entire summer deep diving on the engine control calibration stuff and this was after having 10 years of fooling with them. I think I have a pretty good understanding at this point and Mike from OST was super open with me on what does what when I had questions. I also cheated and referenced stock cals to understand what the original calibration engineer intended, and it changed from year to year....drastically. I'd wager it wasn't even the same person who wrote the tune in 2016 and 2018, it's that different.

I'm now digging in to the trans and it's highly complex it's looking at this point. I data logged a lot today and will dig in to those tomorrow to see what shakes out, but to think just anyone can tune one of these is a stretch I think. Most people don't even know how to data log and if the owner isn't at least willing to learn that then they should lave the car stock IMO.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
I am not an expert on this platform, but I'd say I have a better than average understanding. Been fooling with Dodge cars for 10 or so years and all of them supercharged. It's not rocket surgery but it is quite involved to be honest. I spent just about the entire summer deep diving on the engine control calibration stuff and this was after having 10 years of fooling with them. I think I have a pretty good understanding at this point and Mike from OST was super open with me on what does what when I had questions.

I'm now digging in to the trans and it's highly complex it's looking at this point. I data logged a lot today and will dig in to those tomorrow to see what shakes out, but to think just anyone can tune one of these is a stretch I think. Most people don't even know how to data log and if the owner isn't at least willing to learn that then they should lave the car stock IMO.
It is a matter of discipline - like any form of education it requires dedication and focus. Looking forward to seeing your findings.

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I am not an expert on this platform, but I'd say I have a better than average understanding. Been fooling with Dodge cars for 10 or so years and all of them supercharged. It's not rocket surgery but it is quite involved to be honest. I spent just about the entire summer deep diving on the engine control calibration stuff and this was after having 10 years of fooling with them. I think I have a pretty good understanding at this point and Mike from OST was super open with me on what does what when I had questions.

Exactly. There are a "ton" of high HP guys out there who get drunk from watching other people go fast. Do the same to their car, and don't know what "duty cycle" means.

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
I agree. I learned alot of gm stuff on hp tuners. When I went to look at the Dodge stuff I said it is time to bow out. At 61 with a younger wife and teenage girls I am already into very complex territory. No need for more

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Exactly. There are a "ton" of high HP guys out there who get drunk from watching other people go fast. Do the same to their car, and don't know what "duty cycle" means.
Duty cycle is a 24 hour shift with 3 on, 4 off.