Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Need advice on fighting the dreaded steering wheel vibration

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Nothing.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Drove for 45 minutes before work. Was able to cruise at various speeds between 80-90 mph, smooth as butter. Here are my tire temps when I got back and it was 57 degrees out. I mentioned some road noise when at 85 mph vs 75 mph in an earlier thread, but this morning was smooth throughout the 80 mph band. Have a great day all.

20200831_071604.jpg

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Been about 3,100 miles or so since last rotation and balance. Started noticing vibration/road force at 80 mph again. Took to tire shop for rotation and balance. Tech said all were slightly off balance. Drove and smooth again at 80 mph. Perhaps these heavy cars require more upkeep on tire balancing? All is smooth again...maybe my canyon runs are a contributing factor?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
First: Are your tires being balance correctly, with Smart Weight disabled?

Second: We both know that commercial use is hard on tires (taxis are considered commercial).

Third: Unless you get noticeable feathering on the outside shoulders, the canyon runs shouldn't affect balance.

And lastly: While unlikely with a full load of paying passengers, check if the rear tires have moved on the rims.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
First: Are your tires being balance correctly, with Smart Weight disabled?

Second: We both know that commercial use is hard on tires (taxis are considered commercial).

Third: Unless you get noticeable feathering on the outside shoulders, the canyon runs shouldn't affect balance.

And lastly: While unlikely with a full load of paying passengers, check if the rear tires have moved on the rims.
Not sure on smart weight...but they did roadforce balance 2 of the 4 when I got the PS4s. I asked about roadforcing again if needed, but they said something to the affect that isn't necessary as they were done initially.

Not my area of expertise, but all is smooth again. Should it last more than 3,000 miles?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Yes, the balance should last more than 3,000 miles.

You may want to find a better tire store if that one told you that road force balancing isn't needed if it's been done once.
Also, why on earth road force balance only two out of four??!?

Anyway, the Smart Weight setting is a "close enough" balance that saves the store time, and a few balance weights, but it's not a correct balance.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes, the balance should last more than 3,000 miles.

You may want to find a better tire store if that one told you that road force balancing isn't needed if it's been done once.
Also, why on earth road force balance only two out of four??!?

Anyway, the Smart Weight setting is a "close enough" balance that saves the store time, and a few balance weights, but it's not a correct balance.
It is a chain called American's Tire. Oh well, I will see how long it lasts this time. Will definitely insist on something different next time. Thanks @Jimmy N. Appreciate the help.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Been about 3,100 miles or so since last rotation and balance. Started noticing vibration/road force at 80 mph again. Took to tire shop for rotation and balance. Tech said all were slightly off balance. Drove and smooth again at 80 mph. Perhaps these heavy cars require more upkeep on tire balancing? All is smooth again...maybe my canyon runs are a contributing factor?
I have never had an issue like yours with 3 different chargers and a challenger where I had a tire vibration

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
The only times I've noticed a vibration issue is when I've rotated the tires. Not horrendous, but noticeable.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I had it with cheaper aftermarket wheels. Got some good ones @TRIUMPH and problem was solved (for me).

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I have never had an issue like yours with 3 different chargers and a challenger where I had a tire vibration
My 2016 Hellcat did it and my 2020 Redeye WB does it. Annoying.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
It was my 16 Challenger HC that had it with aftermarket wheels

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
I had it with cheaper aftermarket wheels. Got some good ones @TRIUMPH and problem was solved (for me).
That's one of the reasons I've always been gun-shy of the aftermarket wheels. I have had aftermarkets for a few of my past winter set-ups. They worked out ok.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Perhaps vibration is too strong. You can feel the "road" through the steering wheel at around 80 mph (in my case). Not sure why, but my tires need balancing at every rotation or it comes back. Now all is good. Stock wheels with PS4S.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I had it with cheaper aftermarket wheels.
In an ideal world, both the wheel and the tire would be near perfect. But then there's real life.

Having a wheel that isn't perfect can be very helpful when match balancing, using the two discrepancies to cancel each other out, which can be much easier than balancing a so-so tire on a perfect wheel.

Unfortunately, finding an operator than takes full advantage of what a Hunter road force machine can do is the hard part.