Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Octanium Unleaded the real deal or stick with 100 octane fuel?

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The data sheet above is for the unleaded version?
Our 94 in the winter seams to have mmt to raise the octane. I had never run octane booster in my car and when I swapped driveshafts at the end of Oct 2018. My cats looked like the pic above. Yet when I first swapped it in may they were black.
With the octanium unleaded they are orange but no worse than the pump gas later on the season.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
The data sheet above is for the unleaded version?
Our 94 in the winter seams to have mmt to raise the octane. I had never run octane booster in my car and when I swapped driveshafts at the end of Oct 2018. My cats looked like the pic above. Yet when I first swapped it in may they were black.
With the octanium unleaded they are orange but no worse than the pump gas later on the season.
Never heard or saw anything like that down here with the winter pump gas. Must be a Canada thing. I'm shocked they add it.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Never heard or saw anything like that down here with the winter pump gas. Must be a Canada thing. I'm shocked they add it.
I question our 94 honestly. I have heard on a forum that someone in Ontario tested his out of interest. Well the may contain up to 10% ethanol tested at 30%. I also read info that some places use octane boosters at some times of the season. Probably the ones jacking the ethanol content up . Not sure how well stuff will run in neg 20f or colder. I found the info after I saw my orange cats. Not sure about the sources of info but my exhaust tells me some of it makes sense.

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I question our 94 honestly. I have heard on a forum that someone in Ontario tested his out of interest. Well the may contain up to 10% ethanol tested at 30%. I also read info that some places use octane boosters at some times of the season. Probably the ones jacking the ethanol content up . Not sure how well stuff will run in neg 20f or colder. I found the info after I saw my orange cats. Not sure about the sources of info but my exhaust tells me some of it makes sense.
I tried the PC 94 and found no noticeable difference. I try to use the Shell 91 V power which supposedly does not have ethanol.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Anybody run into warranty problems when the dealership saw the orange residue? Or is that a dealer by dealer call?
You know, I may know a guy who received significant warranty consideration even while using it. On the other hand; I will imagine a dealer could be your worst enemy and note any hint within the system that may appear out of the ordinary, then potentially something like this could be used against a claim. Especially if it is found that the system contains even a hint (evidence) of the use of chemicals referenced in our literature that says DO NOT USE. Right?

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
It has a chemical to stop the deposits from forming and cleaners. That would be the easiest way to explain it.

Slipaway16

Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartle Skeet
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Trackhawk
If catless, would anyone consider using the leader version?

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
I use nothing but vp octainum, it works and doesn’t trip my light like the boostane did. I use it as a buffer on 93 octane in the redeye and GT500. The GT500 has variable timing and gets all 18 degrees when vp is used with 93. That car gets a half of a can per full tank or 13 gallons of 93.

Is it a replacement for race gas I say no but it’s just a bit of insurance for bad gas. All my 93 runs stock and tuned have had vp in the tank.
can you elaborate?

"trip my light like the boostane did"?

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
can you elaborate?

"trip my light like the boostane did"?
For me the boostane tripped my light and the vp did not. I always run about half of the max mix. I still need to do a full 10 gallon to 1 can mix and see if my HO tuning works. Apparently on higher octane you will see a 8 point jump. However I did not use vp for my HO tuning with Barth, I used 100 unleaded race gas.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Anybody run into warranty problems when the dealership saw the orange residue? Or is that a dealer by dealer call?
Just for having residue? Never (ever) gonna happen. Even if they tried to pin engine failure on 'orange residue' they would then have to provide compelling proof that the failure was directly tied to said residue (which would be near impossible).

This falls in the same category as "your warranty is voided unless you change the oil every six months".

Dealer OEM fear-mongering, nothing more.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
For me the boostane tripped my light and the vp did not. I always run about half of the max mix. I still need to do a full 10 gallon to 1 can mix and see if my HO tuning works. Apparently, on higher octane you will see a 8 point jump. However I did not use vp for my HO tuning with Barth, I used 100 unleaded race gas.
By "trip my light", do you mean check engine light?

Do you have a HC, RE or Demon?

If Demon, do you mean when you put in Boostane "it trips the HO light", allowing you to get the 840hp tune?

BTW for For Demons, many use (and prefer) Boostane over race fuel (DRGRCR Ron probably being its biggest supporter). I have no particular horse in this race, just trying to clarify what you meant.

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
Yes with boostane I got the 420 check engine light on both cars. I have a Redeye with the added HO tuning and button. I just added 1 1/2 cans of vp unleaded to 15 gallons and my HO tune activated. So it picked up 100 octane. Now I need to datalog with it but I'm guessing its truely over 100. 20200620_134315.jpg

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes with boostane I got the 420 check engine light on both cars. I have a Redeye with the added HO tuning and button. I just added 1 1/2 cans of vp unleaded to 15 gallons and my HO tune activated. So it picked up 100 octane. Now I need to datalog with it but I'm guessing its truely over 100. View attachment 19026
Interesting. I haven't heard of a Demon owner saying check engine light went on with Boostane. From what I've read, when mixed properly, the HO light did come on too (i.e. the additive was working). Is the modded RE system you have identical in all ways to what the Demon has? I wonder, with the aftermarket mod (that you cannot hide unfortunately), is the warranty still in effect?

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
Interesting. I haven't heard of a Demon owner saying check engine light went on with Boostane. From what I've read, when mixed properly, the HO light did come on too (i.e. the additive was working). Is the modded RE system you have identical in all ways to what the Demon has? I wonder, with the aftermarket mod (that you cannot hide unfortunately), is the warranty still in effect?
I’m not sure why I got the check engine light but I got it with in a couple weeks of each other on both cars.
Yeah no warranty for me.

YMMV

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Morris Co
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
18 Charger HC
I installed my SW midpipes yesterday during my lunch break at work. Was curious so I decided to see if my cats turned orange. Both have some orange from the 3 cans I have ran over the course of 3k miles. No complaints, just an observation. I can post picks when I get off work if interested.

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
We should see orange using octainum unleaded b/c it does have mmt still. The difference is the extra additive that "shouldn't" let mmt build up in the cats, sensors and plugs. I have nothing in it for this product but it has been a success for my cars so far. Definitely need to keep a eye on this. Thanks @YMMV

Last edited:

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
This is what I use. I have not noticed any orange color on my exhaust tips
https://www.amsoil.com/p/dominator-octane-boost-aob/?zo=5014722
I looked up the specs on the Amsoil product. This is the ingredient list.

"Contains Hydrogenated base oil, Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl"

MMT, but perhaps because it treats 15 gallons of gas and raises the octane rating 4 they've got the orange residue level down? If you go from 93 octane to 97 I'd think that would be pretty good for spirited driving.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
I installed my SW midpipes yesterday during my lunch break at work. Was curious so I decided to see if my cats turned orange. Both have some orange from the 3 cans I have ran over the course of 3k miles. No complaints, just an observation. I can post picks when I get off work if interested.
How do you like the SW midpipes? How's the exhaust sound? How well did the install go/fit and finish? I've been considering them as well on my stock Redeye with Big Daddies mini cats (for 02 sensors). I'd tune them out later, when I got tuned.