Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Okay to drive the car to the paint shop with no supercharger coolant?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I see some say drive it, others don't. Like many things, do what you are comfortable doing:)

OP
MurderCat

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple Hellcat (Sold) 22 GMC 2500HD Denali
Thread Starter #23
Don't know why I didn't think of this yesterday. My AAA membership would cover the tow to and back :) 4 weeks from now she's going in to get put to new exterior/trim wise. Hopefully trim repairs and paint isn't too bad so there's room in the race car budget this season. Next up is a 15" conversion with Carlyle racings billet knuckle no grind kit.

Feel much better using AAA's flatbeds than some random guy on Uship for a couple hundred going 10 miles.

IMG_20200618_120412_418.jpg

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I agree....cooler denser air is always more efficient....hands down.

But roots blowers themselves are much more efficient than they used to be - even without an intercooler. Instead of the old lobe-type rotors, most blowers now have semi-helix rotors that don't heat up the air near as much as older blowers did in the day. The Magnuson MP-122 that I have on my old Camaro doesn't have an intercooler, but I'm only spinning it hard enough for 7-8 pounds of boost.....still adds plenty of power..

And as mentioned by @vortecd, the Vortec centrifugal blowers are even more efficient and most of their kits don't come with an intercooler.......but having one is always better....

-And to the OP....good call. I wouldn't drive it either without the intercooler working either. Not worth the risk, and not tuned for running like that.
Agreed. Look at the old MP-112 (with only four lbs and intercooled) not high-helix, but still yielded over 150 crank horse power and torque. Simple bolt on installation. And respectable even then, but not nearly as efficient particularly for something like road racing as todays set up. All I'm saying is I wouldn't go without a charge air cooling set up if I could possibly avoid it. A buddy on here went all NA with the same motor and got the same power level but I believe he once told me he'd go the supercharger route in the future because it was less trouble.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
my point was you can make power without an intercooler
And with this I highly agree. My point was the addition is so simple I'd not leave it out. Gotta cool that nicely compressed / accelerated charge air to get the most out of it - or someone will be knocking at your door sooner, so to speak.

EDIT: for clarity

Last edited:

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
my point was you can make power without an intercooler
You can also make power with a Litens pulley and stock injectors. But why on Earth would you do such a thing?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Don't know why I didn't think of this yesterday. My AAA membership would cover the tow to and back :) 4 weeks from now she's going in to get put to new exterior/trim wise. Hopefully trim repairs and paint isn't too bad so there's room in the race car budget this season. Next up is a 15" conversion with Carlyle racings billet knuckle no grind kit.

Feel much better using AAA's flatbeds than some random guy on Uship for a couple hundred going 10 miles.

View attachment 39426
problem solved

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
You can also make power with a Litens pulley and stock injectors. But why on Earth would you do such a thing?
Maybe to just get it to a tuner and then change out the injectors. You could put the smallest pulley possible our our cars and if you stay out of boost could drive it anywhere. Same without an intercooler, will not hurt anything to get it from A to B if you are smart about it