Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Picking up a M6 Hellcat

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Don’t practice launching and don’t put DRs on the car and the clutch will be fine. Once you want to go fast, it’s one thing after another… starting with the stock clutch going out in a puff of smoke.
Plane tickets can be had cheap, I’m sure you can get around rather affordably, lol. You’re much better off taking the car to the Dodge inspection before sending any money.
Many of us have very high standards… I couldn’t imagine spending that kind of coin and not inspecting it myself.
Another option… post where the car is and see if a fellow enthusiast on the forum would take a look for you. I had a Ford guy do that for me, and he found some of the problems I had him look for. I paid him for his time, though he was happy to do it for free.
Good luck!

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
Don’t practice launching and don’t put DRs on the car and the clutch will be fine. Once you want to go fast, it’s one thing after another… starting with the stock clutch going out in a puff of smoke.
Plane tickets can be had cheap, I’m sure you can get around rather affordably, lol. You’re much better off taking the car to the Dodge inspection before sending any money.
Many of us have very high standards… I couldn’t imagine spending that kind of coin and not inspecting it myself.
Another option… post where the car is and see if a fellow enthusiast on the forum would take a look for you. I had a Ford guy do that for me, and he found some of the problems I had him look for. I paid him for his time, though he was happy to do it for free.
Good luck!
Yeah I was thinking about asking the forum, that could work out too. I should know if the deal is going to happen tomorrow, so maybe I’ll post after that.

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
Barton and CDV make a huge difference. If you are just cruising on the street I think the clutch,driveshaft, etc are fine. What year is your new car?

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
No prob with drag radials in my experience. Running 315 Nitto NT05r’s on 11 inch HR5’s but again I dont beat the car. Cant get any of the cars power to the ground with the stock Pirellis.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #25
I’m looking at a low mileage 2016 right now. The car won’t see any track use, it’ll just be a fun car to have for my family and give me something to do in the garage haha.

My 3 year old son is starting to love cars and monster trucks and stuff, so I know he’ll love getting in the car with me and hearing the engine roar and having a little fun around town.

My Father is about to retire and he needs a little nudge to get back into his muscle car days of the 60s and 70s, so I think this could be a cool thing for us as well (once I buy another, he’ll make it about 6 months before buying something haha).

Needless to say, we’ll have fun but I won’t be beating the crap out of it, probably not launching it (much), and just can’t wait to work on it in the garage with my son.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Stock clutch is just fine, held up to my trashing with 850 wheel and track use and literally hundreds of street 1/4 pulls for 15,000 miles it didn’t start slipping until 950 wheel on corn on the 3-4 shift. Do the CDV delete, put a Barton in it and take a spring out of the 4-5 gate and you’ll have a blast!!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I don't find the clutch in my '16 to be very stiff at all, and I'm a skinny old guy. Seems normal to me.
I agree...but then I still move commercial tractors around,,,it's very light..If my cat wasn't an M6..I would have no reason to keep it...can't beat the versatility and fun factor of the M6

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Saw the mod but didn't want to screw with it prior to install especially since I bought it used. If I ever have to take it out Ill do it.

Having driven mine as long as I have with the mod, I can say I'm quite happy with it and strongly recommend it!

; )

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Having driven mine as long as I have with the mod, I can say I'm quite happy with it and strongly recommend it!

; )
I STRONGLY AGREE as well
One time shoving it in 3rd instead of 5th will change your mind on this, the 4-5 gate is way too stiff. 2-3 had a good reason to be, 4-5 no way, I’d rather hit 5th by mistake on a 4-3 then 3rd on a 4-5 WOT request such as a 1/2 mile or more event or if you go with a 3.90 rear you will find yourself using 5th in that manner much more often.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Second track day… car makes good power, but that’s clutch smoke. He upgraded to a Bad Boys after that, and that is not a good DD clutch.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Second track day… car makes good power, but that’s clutch smoke. He upgraded to a Bad Boys after that, and that is not a good DD clutch.
I try to give it a smooth, quick release with some throttle instead of riding it like that.

My wife did that one time she was doing 0-60's... she got a good pretty good time but I did smell clutch:LOL:

I think mine takes the most abuse changing gear at 6k+ rpm

Last edited:

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
I don’t think he rode it so much as it didn’t want to come up, haha. I don’t know exactly, though, it was a few years ago.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I’ve actually already found the car and we’ve agreed upon a fair price. Sounds like it’s a done deal but the seller wants a day to make sure he is ready to sell.

It’s across the country and I’ll ask the seller to drop it off at Dodge for a pre-purchase inspection that I’ll pay for. Other than that, what’s the best way to safely make this transaction happen? Anyone ever use an online escrow service?

I’ve seen plenty of pics and as long as the inspection comes back good I’ll likely just wire money and arrange shipping. Any recommendations on shipping companies?
Pictures plz..

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #34
2016 with 22k miles. Spoke with the seller this morning and he is ready to let it go, which I’m very happy about because he has really taken good care of this car. Also has some other cool old muscle cars in his garage.

Hopefully it’ll be in my garage in about 3 weeks.

D2F81D1A-BD12-4160-BC52-459CB8503BF2.jpeg 7FDE7FCC-20B7-4A9F-8F8E-35180F4E4DFA.jpeg

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Winner!!!

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #36
Redline is actually my favorite color on the Challengers, it’s got the Alcantara seats instead of full leather (which after having both I like better), no sunroof and a 6 speed.

I’m indifferent about the hood but other than that, this is how l’d order one.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
You did go. Now to loose that goofy looking thing on the front bumper. :)

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #38
you see my reply in your other thread?
I did, thanks for the offer. I’m going to video chat with him in a few moments and go through the car. Plus, even though it’s a 2016, it sold in 2017 so it still has some powertrain warranty on it.

With low mileage, chatting with the seller for about a week, and seeing the other cars he keeps in his garage, I’m not too worried about it. When a guy has his wheels ceramic coated I feel pretty confident the rest of the car will be just as pictured.

If there is any major mechanical issues that pop up, they’ll be covered under powertrain. If it’s something else, I’m still better off spending the money to fix it than spend the money to fly out there, get a hotel, and lose 2 days worth of time I could’ve used for something else.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The Satin hood is a winner in my book!

:unsure:

;)

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
It would be nice to have a dealership determine if the computer has ever been screwed with, tuned, etc. If so, as you know, warranty may very well be voided.