Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Really scared myself in the Hellcat. Time to move on?

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I have got to say I had sworn off cars 30 years ago because of lack of self control and only drove trucks til I bought my Scat in 18 and I had forgotten what a gigantic kick in the ass go fast cars are.
Not sure I could be without one from here on out!
Truly, life is short and fleeting.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
An interesting theory I'll throw out considering your recent thread:

Your subconscious is finding excuses to get rid of the Hellcat and Power Wagon for a new truck.......
You beat me to it but your dead on.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Take some cat herding classes and you'll be fine.:p:)
Aha, I knew there was a simple solution. I'm actually fairly good at herding cats...well, up to four at a time anyway.

But I keep thinking about the old saying "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slowly". It doesn't seem to apply to me. I may have to try driving the fast car slowly to find out what it's like.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Aha, I knew there was a simple solution. I'm actually fairly good at herding cats...well, up to four at a time anyway.

But I keep thinking about the old saying "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slowly". It doesn't seem to apply to me. I may have to try driving the fast car slowly to find out what it's like.
I'm that guy too. Driving fast cars, slow. 😂 Alot has to do with where I live. City grid, stop lights and 45mph max speed limits. And the CDL angle too.

It's much like owning a firearm. It's good to own one and not need it vs needing one and not having it. 🍻

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I've wondered about if I ever would've bought a 'Cat if I still lived in SoCal. Granted, we had nice canyon roads on the doorstep, but the rest...? Might as well have an elderly declawed cat for dealing with traffic and stoplights.

Firearms? Ironically, there I really wanted them. Here I can have them, but don't really need them.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
You beat me to it but your dead on.
Don't listen to the subconscious. it doesn't know what it's talking about. And dont' forget what it did in Forbidden Planet.

Forbiddne planet.gif

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Don't listen to the subconscious. it doesn't know what it's talking about. And dont' forget what it did in Forbidden Planet.

View attachment 13892
Fantastic movie. Loved the big cat in the movie. Damn I'm old.

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Sublime Widebody Challenger Hellcat
I have MS (almost 10 years now) so it’s a balancing act of living for today and trying to focus on the future. The only time I forget I have MS is when I drive the Hellcat.
Sorry to learn about the MS, as someone dealing with Cancer I can certainly relate, get in my Cat and even at speed limits it doesn't seem to matter near as much as it did a minute ago. Hang in there and enjoy that Cat!!

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I've wondered about if I ever would've bought a 'Cat if I still lived in SoCal. Granted, we had nice canyon roads on the doorstep, but the rest...? Might as well have an elderly declawed cat for dealing with traffic and stoplights.

Firearms? Ironically, there I really wanted them. Here I can have them, but don't really need them.
Oh sure...nothing like driving a stick car in the regular afternoon rush hour traffic on the 405...or the 605.....or the 5....or the 710...or the 91....or the 101....or the 10......especially if it's raining.....then all hope goes right out the window

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Oh sure...nothing like driving a stick car in the regular afternoon rush hour traffic on the 405...or the 605.....or the 5....or the 710...or the 91....or the 101....or the 10......especially if it's raining.....then all hope goes right out the window
Wait. It never rains in southern California. They wrote a song about it. 😁

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You haven't been there for a while, have you? When I started "commuting" between there and here, I quickly learned that I had to leave no later than 4 AM. That was 10 years ago, and I drove north of L.A.(101 and 210), not through it.

Going back west there was no point in getting to the I-15/210 interchange before 8 PM.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Wait. It never rains in southern California. They wrote a song about it. 😁
no...not at all...not until it's mudslide season :p

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
You haven't been there for a while, have you? When I started "commuting" between there and here, I quickly learned that I had to leave no later than 4 AM. That was 10 years ago, and I drove north of L.A.(101 and 210), not through it.

Going back west there was no point in getting to the I-15/210 interchange before 8 PM.
No, not since last May.....but when I lived in Huntington Beach, I worked in Long Beach and then Manhattan Beach. I started work at 6, so that wasn't bad, but I didn't get off until 4 (4/10 schedule). And leaving the LA area on the 405 South at that time of the day was horrible. Most days it took me at least 90 minutes to get home. If it was raining when it was time to get off, I just stayed at work until around 7.....or I'd go to the Wild Goose and hang out there with the single moms to help pass the time. They had a decent buffet for dinner too :)

oh yeah....or the Jet Strip :)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Fantastic movie. Loved the big cat in the movie. Damn I'm old.
Join the club man :)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle

As in Houston, everyone has a god given right to sit in their car for hours in traffic. My commute, back in the day there, was 90 minutes each way to go something like 30 miles. Nuts. 20 years ago I had to leave at 4 a.m. to not to get caught in sitting traffic when I was going down town there (and if you were 7 minutes late leaving, forget it!).

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Houston rush hour hell. Summer, 5pm, heading out Westheimer (sp) in a TR6 with waning synchros...no a/c...arggggggg

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Houston rush hour hell. Summer, 5pm, heading out Westheimer (sp) in a TR6 with waning synchros...no a/c...arggggggg
Kill yourself now

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Spent a college summer working as a cook in Houston. Sweat more driving in the Triumph than in the kitchen!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Stuck in completely immobilized traffic on westheimer (in bound though) one summer in a nice looking mustang convertible I had (and should have kept) with my soon to be wife but then girlfriend we happened to be next to this car with two nice looking black girls in it. One of them FREAKED out screaming and bouncing around inside the car like some teenage fan of the Backstreet Boys. lol, turned out this was her dream car, done up just exactly like she wanted it. A DPS trooper also did nothing but compliment the car "I just can't believe how good this thing looks," etc... While he was writing me three tickets. Lots of folks like that car - but that thing had AC, and Westheimer is a hell hole even with it.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Try the black key, or valet mode. It will suck, but its the ultimate nanny mode. The problem with the cat is that the power is so effortless, and the car is so well built that at 150 it feels just as tame as at 55.

I passed a truck once that would not move over after doing well under the speed limit. I hammered it in a small fit of road rage and thought I was doing close to 100 and when I looked down I was shocked to see 154 on the clock! John and Horace Dodge will not be there to post our bail, so we better be careful and use some restraint when piloting our missiles. That self control thing is the hard part, as that blower whine is intoxicating and always makes you want to give her just a bit more beans.
Don't lie...Felt good didn't it...