Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Redeye brake failure

NYCSRTATE

Member ID
City
NYC
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Charger Hellcat
Only "mod" to the brakes are the Power stop Z23 pads. They have been on the car for many months before the issue occurred. Looked at the brake booster diagram and there is actually an electronic check valve on the brake booster of our cars. No idea if it is what caused it, but the way electronic things can be intermittent it could be related. Will report back once he hears from the dealer.

That's your problem right t here,those Z23 pads!!

I had them on my Hellcat for 2 days and the brake fade when the rotors and pads heated up was seriously unsafe, I almost hit the person in front of me while stopping I had to hammer the brake pedal with so much force I thought I was going to go thru the floor board!!

Went home and removed them and threw them back in the box and put the OEM pads back on.Porterfield RS4's next time I do brakes, not as much dust as the Brembos but with the same OEM stopping power. Those Powerstops never again.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
That's your problem right t here,those Z23 pads!!

I had them on my Hellcat for 2 days and the brake fade when the rotors and pads heated up was seriously unsafe, I almost hit the person in front of me while stopping I had to hammer the brake pedal with so much force I thought I was going to go thru the floor board!!

Went home and removed them and threw them back in the box and put the OEM pads back on.Porterfield RS4's next time I do brakes, not as much dust as the Brembos but with the same OEM stopping power. Those Powerstops never again.

Hmmmm...

NYCSRTATE

Member ID
City
NYC
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Charger Hellcat
Good hmm bad hmm?

Just my experience with these pads, re bedding them didn't help at all.

:);)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I don't doubt your experience at all, however the flip side of the same coin is that others have had a very positive experience.

Myself among them

Part of my "hmmm" is the subjectiveness of "heat soak / fade".

Well not so much the fade part, that's less subjective, but how much braking it took to get there.

I've experienced it with the Z23/26s, but only at the end of very aggressive bedding, but I expected it and was prepared, and I personally believe it was fluid, not the pads. And that's Wilwood EXP600 Plus, meaning it took a bunch of heat to get there.

I used the Z23s my first year at the Colorado Mile, anybody that's run there has described the shutdown as "aggressive" (from ~170-176mph).

It took 4-5 hot laps to begin to fade, and not critical, just enough to say I need to take a break from hot lapping.

That said, I have come to believe that as much as I like the Z26s, I no longer race on them, they roached my first set of rotors with heat checking.

BUT, for the street, AND "normal" driving, I think they are a very good pad. I've generated stopping distances on the radio very nearly the same as the OE pads, in fact for a while, I actually had my shortest stop on Z23s.

Just my .02

Maybe even .25

;)

NYCSRTATE

Member ID
City
NYC
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Charger Hellcat
I don't doubt your experience at all, however the flip side of the same coin is that others have had a very positive experience.

Myself among them

Part of my "hmmm" is the subjectiveness of "heat soak / fade".

Well not so much the fade part, that's less subjective, but how much braking it took to get there.

I've experienced it with the Z23/26s, but only at the end of very aggressive bedding, but I expected it and was prepared, and I personally believe it was fluid, not the pads. And that's Wilwood EXP600 Plus, meaning it took a bunch of heat to get there.

I used the Z23s my first year at the Colorado Mile, anybody that's run there has described the shutdown as "aggressive" (from ~170-176mph).

It took 4-5 hot laps to begin to fade, and not critical, just enough to say I need to take a break from hot lapping.

That said, I have come to believe that as much as I like the Z26s, I no longer race on them, they roached my first set of rotors with heat checking.

BUT, for the street, AND "normal" driving, I think they are a very good pad. I've generated stopping distances on the radio very nearly the same as the OE pads, in fact for a while, I actually had my shortest stop on Z23s.

Just my .02

Maybe even .25

I agree with you, under normal driving they stop just fine. When mine faded i really didn't drive that aggressive and that's what bothered me about them.

Here's my problem with powerstops, same driving style, (mine ofcourse) with the OEM pads and no fade etc

Good to give everyone different result from different drivers.

:)

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Only "mod" to the brakes are the Power stop Z23 pads. They have been on the car for many months before the issue occurred. Looked at the brake booster diagram and there is actually an electronic check valve on the brake booster of our cars. No idea if it is what caused it, but the way electronic things can be intermittent it could be related. Will report back once he hears from the dealer.
This is exactly why I never changed mine. I prefer the brake dust over safety. I know many have had the pads for years with no issues but just not worth it to me.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
A buddy of mine has a 2019 Redeye. Last week he tried to stop and all the sudden the brake pedal was very hard, as if there was no vacuum on the brake booster. The car only slightly slowed down with both feet on the brake pedal, so sadly he gave the car sitting at the light a love tap resulting in "minor" damage to his RE. He said its never done it before, or since then. He is going to take it in, and I am sure the dealer will just give the standard we cant find a problem so cant fix it speech. Anyone else had a similar issue?

An intermittent brake problem is a quite scary on a car that weighs 4000lbs and is capable of 200mph!
Dang, is this a local car? Hope the damage was not too bad, know where the owner went to have the damage repaired?

OP
45-70govt

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #28
Yea local to ABQ. The front facia had paint transfer and some cracking. He almost had it stopped before he hit the car. Not sure which dealer its at, but only 2 options here.

Member ID
City
Asheboro
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 WBHCRE
On my track cars, I use Hawk DTC 30 and 60. I never had a problem with them on the street either. II believe the engineers give these cars enough brake already, and after reading many threads on pads with these cars, the main complaint seems to be brake dust. My .02 is put the stock pads back on, and then hit the dealership. I agree with all previous comments. Safety is key here, and having the whoa with the go is paramount. If there is a problem here not "self induced", I'ld like to know also. Ever go into a turn after the front straight at a track and there's nothing there? I have . It get's your attention real fast. Subscribed .
My .02.
L J