Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tesla Plaid vs McClaren 720S

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I don’t think so I have seen redeye run low 11s on DRs at the track with a shitty driver same day I was running low 10s. Launching a hellcat demon or redeye takes skill or else everyone would have low times. Launching a Tesla or any 4wd car is hit the gas to the floor. I bet I could jump in any Tesla and get the same time as the owner. I also bet no Tesla driver could jump in my redeye and run my times.
You said it takes skill to drive (experience) your RE, I said any driver could do it if they have that same skill. A shitty driver as you say probably just not as experienced as you or there is traction problems or other issues, even on DR's doesn't mean there is traction.

AWD does make it easier but doesn't lessen the fastest street car at the track fun factor, with no work. The older you get the more I appreciate that.

Last edited:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Can't say it would hurt my feelings if I raced one. It costs nearly 3 times what I paid for mine. It has speed but nothing else

By the time it drives to the track the battery will probably be low anyway.

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
There is a video out there of the plaid stomping a stock haybusa and zx-14 r in a quarter mile although the 14 r is dead even on a roll race

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #45
By the time it drives to the track the battery will probably be low anyway.
Or possibly on fire

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #46
I know and that is
There is a video out there of the plaid stomping a stock haybusa and zx-14 r in a quarter mile although the 14 r is dead even on a roll race
I know and that is just nuts

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #47
Funny, the torque hit his buddy so hard he was getting sick.
Noticed that. But could be too many chili dogs too

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
competitive??

I know your trying to say, “can it keep up at a real race track?” “And keep doing it”

but this thing is a daily driver, off the factory floor. And it dusts, I mean obliterated a 1000hp Mclaren, arguably one of the nastiest modified street cars, not counting the underground lambos, or ams gtrs. But those things are insanely modified for race gas etc.

This Tesla just needs a charge, and fresh tires. Holy shit. I didn’t believe it until I saw it this time. Wow.

I mean, the pinnacle of combustion engines today and, that Tesla murdered it.
So Tesla eliminated modding…perfect, there goes another hobby. Next will be racing at the strip, we’ll all just watch from the stands as the Telsas launch themselves. Saves on weight. 😉

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Funny, the torque hit his buddy so hard he was getting sick.
Happens, I have made instructors puke on a road course, many others have said it is just time to pit, they can’t take it. Not saying I was doing anything someone else can’t, but passengers can get motion sickness from a lot of things easy in these types of cars when our brains are sloshing around unexpectedly.

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
So Tesla eliminated modding…perfect, there goes another hobby. Next will be racing at the strip, we’ll all just watch from the stands as the Telsas launch themselves. Saves on weight. 😉
not so sure it has eliminated modding at all.

when most cars are electric at some point and that’s what everyone can drive. You can bet your ass that people will be working to boost the battery power or transfer more of it the wheels. Billet gears and other crap.

still crazy, I love my cars.

I actually just watched the plaid on the nurburring last night. Although it’s fast, it only ran a 7:3x. Obviously it has no track suspension or proper tires. Strictly acceleration and speed. My Shelby in stock form still beats that around a track.

its only when these EV cars hit the masses where the next level of performance will come from.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Full scale R/C racing

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Happens, I have made instructors puke on a road course, many others have said it is just time to pit, they can’t take it. Not saying I was doing anything someone else can’t, but passengers can get motion sickness from a lot of things easy in these types of cars when our brains are sloshing around unexpectedly.
Yeah, when your a passenger, motion sickness can get you, especially in the back seat.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Yeah, when your a passenger, motion sickness can get you, especially in the back seat.
I would not want to ride! I have been the “instructor” a few times but they have been rookies and not cornering and braking it around to its limits yet.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Since they are letting anything do the 1/4 mile it seems...lets just hook some wagons to horses, and race them.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Since they are letting anything do the 1/4 mile it seems...lets just hook some wagons to horses, and race them.
Then you should have been here at HRP this past weekend, they shut down the track to have a trail ride & camp grounds at the track, really pissed me off to shut down a race track for that. :rolleyes::mad:
Guess if you have a 1/4 horse, it's appropriate. :LOL:

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
9-second Demons everywhere beg to differ...

"I also feel that this again shows the complete ineffectiveness of RWD only"

Oh, and for the record, smell, sound, and vibration matters...

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Then you should have been here at HRP this past weekend, they shut down the track to have a trail ride & camp grounds at the track, really pissed me off to shut down a race track for that. :rolleyes::mad:

Some.of them cowgirls are pretty hot, just enjoy the show. Their legs are so firm to from riding all the time.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Some.of them cowgirls are pretty hot, just enjoy the show. Their legs are so firm to from riding all the time.
You have a good point, different ways to look at things.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #60
not so sure it has eliminated modding at all.

when most cars are electric at some point and that’s what everyone can drive. You can bet your ass that people will be working to boost the battery power or transfer more of it the wheels. Billet gears and other crap.

still crazy, I love my cars.

I actually just watched the plaid on the nurburring last night. Although it’s fast, it only ran a 7:3x. Obviously it has no track suspension or proper tires. Strictly acceleration and speed. My Shelby in stock form still beats that around a track.

its only when these EV cars hit the masses where the next level of performance will come from.
Agreed. And unless the software is totally uncrackable the first place people are going to look is maximizing current to the motors and tossing range down the toilet. That's not so much different from what we do when we mod ice Motors now