Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Thoughts on the Jeep

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I'm not necessarily a "Jeep" person, but my guess is that real Jeep people and highways/80mph aren't in the same Universe.
I'm probably a Jeep person, having had at least one since buying my second car, and maybe 35 or so since.
My third Jeep, which I still have, has been on more trails than I could possibly remember, been driven cross country, and I lived in it for over six months once getting to L.A. after that trip.

But here's the catch: Let's say I am a Jeep person. Now what is a Jeep? In my mind they stopped making real Jeeps in '54. Yet I have a '75, an '08, and the Trackhawk. But no, they're not really Jeeps in my mind.
And the more it says "Jeep" somewhere on the outside, or inside for that matter, the less they are one, I think.

Oh, and the leading edge of a real Jeep's hood becomes an almost perfect half circle at 90 mph, by the way.

Stuff 346.jpg Stuff 738.jpg Stuff 773.jpg

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I built a nice CJ5 in the 90's. It had a built 304 V8 with the 3 speed manual. It was scary fast for that short of a wheelbase with a 4.5 inch lift. I still wish I would not have sold it.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
The Bronco will be the best thing to happen to Jeep. Jeep has had little competition so they didn’t have to compete. I will say the 3.6 puts out around 285 hp and with the 4:10 gear ratio it does ok with down low power. But it For sure lacks power. The 5.7 should have at least been an option all along. In your video you talked about the tops. They do make many different top options and most soft tops that replace the hard top just fold down above the trunk area. Taking the doors off so easy and the top have given them a unique market as well as an easy way to get into the off road seen.

We will see what the Jeep brings in the coming years with the bronco being out and the changes we are starting to see with electric vehicles.
With that being said I don’t have a need or want for a Jeep at this point.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I'm probably a Jeep person, having had at least one since buying my second car, and maybe 35 or so since.
My third Jeep, which I still have, has been on more trails than I could possibly remember, been driven cross country, and I lived in it for over six months once getting to L.A. after that trip.

But here's the catch: Let's say I am a Jeep person. Now what is a Jeep? In my mind they stopped making real Jeeps in '54. Yet I have a '75, an '08, and the Trackhawk. But no, they're not really Jeeps in my mind.
And the more it says "Jeep" somewhere on the outside, or inside for that matter, the less they are one, I think.

Oh, and the leading edge of a real Jeep's hood becomes an almost perfect half circle at 90 mph, by the way.

View attachment 38522 View attachment 38523 View attachment 38524
Willy's is the deal

EDIT - and you were more eloquent than I. When I said too many Jeeps were just cars that looked like Jeeps up above in this thread, this watering down is what I was talking about.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Speaking of Jeep - the Cherokee nation is asking they stop using Cherokee as a name plate.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I built a nice CJ5 in the 90's. It had a built 304 V8 with the 3 speed manual. It was scary fast for that short of a wheelbase with a 4.5 inch lift. I still wish I would not have sold it.
You had to remind me, didn't you? I lowered and sectioned an ex postal Jeep, then put a built 400 smallblock in it. That thing tried to kill me every time I drove it.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Speaking of Jeep - the Cherokee nation is asking they stop using Cherokee as a name plate.
Heard that yesterday, which made me wonder if they trademarked the name. I think Jeep did it some time in the Seventies.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
You had to remind me, didn't you? I lowered and sectioned an ex postal Jeep, then put a built 400 smallblock in it. That thing tried to kill me every time I drove it.
It sounds cool as hell though!!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Taking the doors off so easy...
And you wonder why I like real Jeeps? They have no doors.
Of course, that has lead to a few discussions when registering some of them. It has to be a 2-door or a 4-door according to some authorities.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #71
The Bronco will make things interesting. Especially if they offer one with a Coyote.

I agree the 5.7 should have been an option for the Wrangler all along. Talk about missed opportunities.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I agree the 5.7 should have been an option for the Wrangler all along. Talk about missed opportunities.
I'm guessing that they needed to keep the corporate average mpg figures down somehow.
Our cars don't exactly help it.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
The Bronco will make things interesting. Especially if they offer one with a Coyote.

They’ve already threatened the gt500 engine in a raptor. I’ll believe it when I see it. But have to love to see this kind of stuff

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
And you wonder why I like real Jeeps? They have no doors.
Of course, that has lead to a few discussions when registering some of them. It has to be a 2-door or a 4-door according to some authorities.
Yes you have a real Jeep looking at the pictures above but most these people don’t buy Jeeps to off road. I was really let down we went to a charity run in my buddies old bronco with 40s and it was pretty much us and all Jeeps. We got stuck. They all went around and left us. It was sad to see. I think you are one of the few true Jeep owners left.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

572 savoy

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Winona
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
It is stupid money for a jeep! I can't wait until mine lands!!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I was really let down we went to a charity run in my buddies old bronco with 40s and it was pretty much us and all Jeeps. We got stuck. They all went around and left us. It was sad to see. I think you are one of the few true Jeep owners left.
Sorry to hear that. I have obviously done my fair share of Bronco (and Toyota, and everything else) bashing, but wouldn't think of leaving a fellow 'wheeler behind, regardless of what they're driving.

If nothing else, the get unstuck and repair adventures are usually half the fun of a good trail run.
Naturally accompanied by endless ribbing, which generally goes both ways.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
The Bronco will be the best thing to happen to Jeep. Jeep has had little competition so they didn’t have to compete. I will say the 3.6 puts out around 285 hp and with the 4:10 gear ratio it does ok with down low power. But it For sure lacks power. The 5.7 should have at least been an option all along. In your video you talked about the tops. They do make many different top options and most soft tops that replace the hard top just fold down above the trunk area. Taking the doors off so easy and the top have given them a unique market as well as an easy way to get into the off road seen.

We will see what the Jeep brings in the coming years with the bronco being out and the changes we are starting to see with electric vehicles.
With that being said I don’t have a need or want for a Jeep at this point.
In 1960...my father bought a 47 willys..that we used for a plow vehicle...and my mother drove as second car...(in 60..there were no 2 car familes)...it finally died in 1974...I remember the gas tank was under the driver seat..and aside from the shifter..the transfer case had two levers..

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
What killed it?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I believe it was run out of oil...(it became a field car for my younger sister)