Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

To install or not to install?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I don't like mucking about with the fuel system any more than I have to. That filter is a nice one. $250. Had it been an option on the kit I likely wouldn't have ticked the box though.

My pumps are TI285.
Well what are your thoughts @Speedy ? …..Yes or No ?....go ahead & make a new video. :whistle:

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I would hope he uses it, especially since he's a serious racer and I know he knows the price to have those injectors cleaned since he mentioned it one of the other videos. Would be good for everyone to see an install video as well. I doubt its a serious job but I let Injected Engineering do mine when I had the ported blower installed.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Honestly it’s like a timeslip if you don’t have a slip of your car running 9 seconds then it doesn’t count,so in theory I’ve never dynoed my car so it’s actually 707 hp and 650 whp cause I have no actual proof that’s it’s anything more therefor @Dman007 he has dynoed his car and has proof of his numbers so just to let you know how far off the dyno numbers are when I drag his ass In Bradenton this coming weekend then we can be positive his hp numbers are skewed 😂😂

Blown7

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodstock
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Trackhawk
Speedy - put the filter in!

For those that think 90's impact fuel flow in an application like this you need to watch this (or other videos out there showing the same results)
This guy is doing backyard testing.. you really need to do the math..plus my PDF is for bend with a radius.. it changes even more for a 90 degree bend.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&ved=2ahUKEwi37LbS1NbnAhUvlnIEHZBTCWYQFjAMegQIAxAB&url=https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/21/jresv21n1p1_A1b.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3tWTmuJB35kvvunl8oMZFd

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
Nah he scared he might spill some fuel on the garage floor
Dave that’s cold 🥶

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Dave that’s cold 🥶
His ocd would be in overdrive and Mrs speed would have to give him a Sedative

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
His backyard test is just as bright as your PDF file that I read but it’s such minimum difference in fuel pressure that the change would not be noticed or even effective in with Speedy’s baby tune I don’t think he has nothing to worry about😂😂

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I would hope he uses it, especially since he's a serious racer and I know he knows the price to have those injectors cleaned since he mentioned it one of the other videos. Would be good for everyone to see an install video as well. I doubt its a serious job but I let Injected Engineering do mine when I had the ported blower installed.
I guess that in most cases it's expensive to have injectors cleaned & the hassle to do it , but the injectors that I bought 1000cc from F1 Injectors has a life time warranty & 1/2 price cleaning service which would only cost $48 @ $6 a piece. Not bad at all. I am staying on 93 tune so I don't really expect to have to have them cleaned hardly ever.
I'm not sure what fuel Speedy is going to use ?

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I guess that in most cases it's expensive to have injectors cleaned & the hassle to do it , but the injectors that I bought 1000cc from F1 Injectors has a life time warranty & 1/2 price cleaning service which would only cost $48 @ $6 a piece. Not bad at all. I am staying on 93 tune so I don't really expect to have to have them cleaned hardly ever.
Theres also the cost of shipping both ways which adds to it. 93 octane may not matter as much but a filter is recommended with E85.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
@Mean Cat put some race gas in that car and stop pussyfooting around man get to 17 degrees of timing and get off that damn porch 😂😂

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
@Mean Cat put some race gas in that car and stop pussyfooting around man get to 17 degrees of timing and get off that damn porch 😂😂
No thank you , the porch is comfy , :LOL:

Last edited:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Theres also the cost of shipping both ways which adds to it. 93 octane may not matter as much but a filter is recommended with E85.
Yeah I get it with E85.
For me shipping not a issue either , F1 is local , 20 minute drive , I'm so lucky on purpose. :LOL:

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Yeah I get it with E85.
For me shipping not a issue either , F1 is local , 20 minute drive , I'm so lucky on purpose. :LOL:
Yea, I had to ship my IDs to Arizona from GA.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Got the dual pump plug and play drop in system installed today. Pretty easy and a nice setup. It comes with an external fuel filter that ties in to the factory fuel lines. I'm not sure about installing it. I never had one on the old car, and the factory doesn't include one. In tank pumps have filter socks like you'd expect. The engineer in me thinks about 4 more spots to leak.

What say you? Install or not?

+10 on INSTALL IT !!!!
Yes, they have inlet screens but pump wear bits go some where, a big bit from a failing pump may block an injector. You like your new Redeye engine? Then You just have to ask yourself one question, Do I feel lucky??

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Well Do ya????
:)

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #56
I was tired of smelling like gasoline for the weekend so I elected not to install the external filter for now. I'll look at installing it later, but if you guys saw the dinky filter on the stock fuel pump you'd wonder why more cars don't have injector issues LOL. The filter socks on the new pumps are 400% better, bigger, and have a finer mesh. The external filter is likely overkill but may be a project I'll get in to on a rainy Saturday. The install looks easy enough, it's dealing with the fuel leaking out of the tank that'll be the PITA part.

Good news is my data logs show PLENTY of fuel now :)

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
That's a lot of tight 90's .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
When I built the dual 450 pump fuel system in my Monte I used these off the external filter, and before the dual feed/dual cross over rails:

1581906012085.png

Love me some full flow 90s in that -10 AN PTFE feed line. I believe in maximizing flow potential.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I was tired of smelling like gasoline for the weekend so I elected not to install the external filter for now. I'll look at installing it later, but if you guys saw the dinky filter on the stock fuel pump you'd wonder why more cars don't have injector issues LOL. The filter socks on the new pumps are 400% better, bigger, and have a finer mesh. The external filter is likely overkill but may be a project I'll get in to on a rainy Saturday. The install looks easy enough, it's dealing with the fuel leaking out of the tank that'll be the PITA part.

Good news is my data logs show PLENTY of fuel now :)
If the stock sock filter on stock pump is below par ? …. I wonder if there is a better sock filter that could be replaced on the stock pump ? ….That would be nice for us guys that don't need bigger pumps !

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
If the stock sock filter on stock pump is below par ? …. I wonder if there is a better sock filter that could be replaced on the stock pump ? ….That would be nice for us guys that don't need bigger pumps !
You don’t have to worry @Mean Cat , you’re a one pump chump anyway 😂😂

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
You don’t have to worry @Mean Cat , you’re a one pump chump anyway 😂😂
Yeah OK , but if there is a better sock filter for stock pump ?... I would do it.

What is your opinion on the stock filter ?