Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Catch Can; how is yours?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
No this is not a trick thread. We need more discussions on our cars. I don’t see a discussion here yet on the catch can. I have owned three Hemi engines in 14 years (cars anyway, I can’t count how many little 5.7 Hemi engines I have owned in our Jeep GC’s). But after emptying my can last night on the Redeye, I have some pretty good feedback on three of our favorites, and would like to see and hear some others. I have used the same type of BT can for all three mounted just above the thermostat housing.

1. 6.4L- that engine filled the catch can up quickly. It passed lots of oil through the PCV system.
2. Hellcat Ver 1 2015 - that one noticeably did NOT pass as much oil as the 6.4, still collected an impressive amount and so the can seems to work.
3. Demon/Redeye 2019 - this is a truly impressive improvement. This observation prompted this thread. I emptied it last night. It was not touched since May. Six road track HPDE days and about 4000 inclusive miles. All I got was about a 1.5 oz! Impressive! What does others see in their cans??

203059FA-9705-4CEC-ACFB-176EFC1B9A5B.jpeg

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I get just a couple of tea spoons per oil change in the JLT on my ‘15. I probably run up around 2k miles per season. Maybe a bit less.

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
I did indeed think this was going to be a wisenheimer post! Turns out to be interesting observations on a topic we tend to laugh about as a newbie inquiry.

I've owned a 15 and a 16 Hellcat that didn't "pass vapors" to any concerning degree, although I never took measurements.

I have 900 miles on my Redeye and this thread reminded me I have not installed a catch can yet...thanks for the wake up call DGatzby!

Interesting Redeye results, curious what others with cans are experiencing. Either way, cheap insurance and will add a bit of light bling under the hood.

Had a Bob's unit on a 2014 GT500, loved it. Anyone running a Bob's on a Hellcat?

"Hey everybody, what's the best catch can?" :eek::oops::eek: That's a joke, please do not derail DGatzby's thread and attempt to keep us on car talk (why do I now feel like this is a hopeless plea?).

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I have the APR fender mount catch can with 1 way check valve and I would get a table spoon at most when new but this year all I get is a bit of condensation in there . My car never goes through oil .

25,000 miles and appropriately 250 pass down th 1/4 mile .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #5
I did indeed think this was going to be a wisenheimer post! Turns out to be interesting observations on a topic we tend to laugh about as a newbie inquiry.

I've owned a 15 and a 16 Hellcat that didn't "pass vapors" to any concerning degree, although I never took measurements.

I have 900 miles on my Redeye and this thread reminded me I have not installed a catch can yet...thanks for the wake up call DGatzby!

Interesting Redeye results, curious what others with cans are experiencing. Either way, cheap insurance and will add a bit of light bling under the hood.

Had a Bob's unit on a 2014 GT500, loved it. Anyone running a Bob's on a Hellcat?

"Hey everybody, what's the best catch can?" :eek::oops::eek: That's a joke, please do not derail DGatzby's thread and attempt to keep us on car talk (why do I now feel like this is a hopeless plea?).
Ha! Well did everyone notice what color my catch can is for the Redeye? BLACK, because I like that color for all the aftermarket parts on this one. Don’t go there @ChargerChallenger! So yep, let’s see what color your can is also!

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Ha! Well did everyone notice what color my catch can is for the Redeye? BLACK, because I like that color for all the aftermarket parts on this one. Don’t go there @ChargerChallenger! So yep, let’s see what color your can is also!
Lol 4K miles and I never put one on. As much as I flip cars I pass on these things but for sure a great investment.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I don't have catch can on my Redeye. What is the best catch can out there for the Redeye???

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

I've got Bob's on mine.

I've also got documentation on how much, but not off the top of my head.

I put so few miles on the car between oil changes that there ends up being very little in the can.

Best guess without looking is 5cc per 750 miles. (I drain the oil into a cup, then I use a syringe to suck it out of the cup to measure the oil, hense the cc's)

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I don't have catch can on my Redeye. What is the best catch can out there for the Redeye???
I have the UPR fender mount catch can setup along with their crankcase breather in place of my oil cap. I am satisfied with their products!

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
I have a 2015 and mine has collected very, very small amounts of oil. Honestly I don't think it was worth the investment. I was just sick and tired of people freaking out when I'd open my hood and all I'd hear is..."Dude you better get a catch can!" "What no catch can, you are nuts"...etc...

So yea I got a freaking catch can, so shut yer piehole.

I put more value on the fact I don't have to hear people griping about me not having the stupid thing, over what actual value it has on the engine's life. :unsure:

landoawd

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hillsborough
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I pull about 1-2oz every oil change. Daily driven and beat on regularly.

I bought one for looks. The built in separators on the car would manage this amount of vapor without issue.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Maybe a teaspoon in 1k mi, but this makes me think I should put one in the DSRT
1. 6.4L- that engine filled the catch can up quickly. It passed lots of oil through the PCV system.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
No this is not a trick thread. We need more discussions on our cars. I don’t see a discussion here yet on the catch can. I have owned three Hemi engines in 14 years (cars anyway, I can’t count how many little 5.7 Hemi engines I have owned in our Jeep GC’s). But after emptying my can last night on the Redeye, I have some pretty good feedback on three of our favorites, and would like to see and hear some others. I have used the same type of BT can for all three mounted just above the thermostat housing.

Do you mean 6.1L @DGatzby ?

My 6.4 was not that bad...still glad I had one on it though. Just like this redeye, any filtration here is a good thing IMO, even if it only catches a little blow by. They built in separators into the PCV system for a reason starting with the 6.4 back in 2011, the 6.1 didn't have it.

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I have a 2015 and mine has collected very, very small amounts of oil. Honestly I don't think it was worth the investment. I was just sick and tired of people freaking out when I'd open my hood and all I'd hear is..."Dude you better get a catch can!" "What no catch can, you are nuts"...etc...

So yea I got a freaking catch can, so shut yer piehole.

I put more value on the fact I don't have to hear people griping about me not having the stupid thing, over what actual value it has on the engine's life. :unsure:

Spot on Heminized. I couldn't have told the story any better.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Spot on Heminized. I couldn't have told the story any better.

I was going to make some derailing comment, but then @DGatzby wouldn't be happy with me...

(It's probably because you're using the wrong oil...)

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Empty, have it on as a precaution but never see anything in it, bone dry.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Empty, have it on as a precaution but never see anything in it, bone dry.

They're definitely not all created equal

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
They're definitely not all created equal
I'm going to assume you are talking about oil. :)

landoawd

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hillsborough
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
He's referring to filter media and diffusers, I'm sure.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I have the UPR fender mount catch can setup along with their crankcase breather in place of my oil cap. I am satisfied with their products!
Notice anything different with the breather?