Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Changing the rear differential

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Are you doing 3.90 or did you mean 3.09 ?....3.90 will be way too low.
I have a 2016 manual trans.
I thought an upgraded diff would be to go to 3.90.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I have a 2016 manual trans.
I thought an upgraded diff would be to go to 3.90.
Oh ok, M6, cool.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
In prying on the axles what you are trying to achieve is pop these spring clips from the slot they are in inside the female spline, even pressure on both sides of the hub makes them come out easier by pulling straight not pushing them to one side. See the clips on the ends of the spline in this picture?
4A270328-C655-4890-93E7-6B9E11BB5432.jpeg

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
In prying on the axles what you are trying to achieve is pop these spring clips from the slot they are in inside the female spline, even pressure on both sides of the hub makes them come out easier by pulling straight not pushing them to one side. See the clips on the ends of the spline in this picture?
View attachment 32059
yes sir, I see exactly what you guys are talking about now. Makes perfect sense !!

I can’t believe they come out so easily. I guess as long as everything downstream from the axles is torqued properly they won’t go anywhere.
I am assuming the brake caliper, rotor and axle nut will have to be removed in order to be able to get the axles out. That a correct assumption?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
yes sir, I see exactly what you guys are talking about now. Makes perfect sense !!

I can’t believe they come out so easily. I guess as long as everything downstream from the axles is torqued properly they won’t go anywhere.
I am assuming the brake caliper, rotor and axle nut will have to be removed in order to be able to get the axles out. That a correct assumption?

As well as the IRS "outer knuckle" (terminology??)

Of note is the axle nut is technically a "one use" only piece.

I put mine back on (reused it), however they are a readily available and not terribly expensive part at the dealer. I simply wasn't prepared.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

NO, you don't even have to remove the wheels, I've done 6 - 3.09 swaps & the first 2 times I removed the wheels, then tried doing it without removing the wheels & no problem. The only reason to take the wheels off is to have more room lying on the ground (assuming you don't have a lift) in that area but it's not necessary. Your just removing the axle out of the diff. Will save time not removing wheels.

Last edited:

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I guess as long as he’s dropping the diff now would be the time ti add the BMR Dif Lockout kit?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I guess as long as he’s dropping the diff now would be the time ti add the BMR Dif Lockout kit?
For that, I think the cradle has to be dropped some, at least for the back part of the diff (lockout kit).

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I know that the d/s is the pita bolt that must be removed because it strikes the trunk floor pan in the spare tire well but I thought if he’s removing the entire center section it should be right there. I’d have to get under the car, which isn’t happening anytime soon...

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I know that the d/s is the pita bolt that must be removed because it strikes the trunk floor pan in the spare tire well but I thought if he’s removing the entire center section it should be right there. I’d have to get under the car, which isn’t happening anytime soon...
I had this same wonder but I think Mean Cat is right that the cradle has to come down as to get the 4 metal wedges in each of the 2 rear rubber bushings the bolts have to come out about 3” to get them in and then they have to be pounded in with a hammer even when lubricated. Add to that a large diameter washer is added to those bolts to keep the wedges in place so I don’t think the complete Difference Lock out kit can be put in without lowering the cradle, which BTW is not really that bad to do. I avoided it for a while then finally bite the bullet and did it with the cradle lock out kit. Worst part of that whole process was getting the limiters off.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Yea, I dropped my cradle only far enough to slip those greased metal collars in when I did my cradle lock out kit. And yes, those green limiters were a bitch, but a new drill bit and long pry bar made pretty quick work of it. I’d like to do the diff lock out kit as well, but really don’t feel like dropping it all again. Maybe one day if I decide to add the AAD parts? Maybe?
PS @16GoManGoHC2 , thanks again for the help with the driveshaft. So far so good!!! 😀

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
NO, you don't even have to remove the wheels, I've done 6 - 3.09 swaps & the first 2 times I removed the wheels, then tried doing it without removing the wheels & no problem. The only reason to take the wheels off is to have more room lying on the ground (assuming you don't have a lift) in that area but it's not necessary. Your just removing the axle out of the diff. Will save time not removing wheels.

Wow...!

My bad...

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Wow that's a huge time saver. So there's enough flex in the CV joints for the inside axle splines to clear the differential so it can be dropped?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Wow that's a huge time saver. So there's enough flex in the CV joints for the inside axle splines to clear the differential so it can be dropped?
Yes sir there is.

Last edited:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Just pop out 1 axle at a time, you have to push & twist the diff toward the other side that your doing, for just enough clearance to get axles out & then back in, 1 at a time.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I can swap a diff in 1.5 hours or less.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just pop out 1 axle at a time, you have to push & twist the diff toward the other side that your doing, for just enough clearance to get axles out & then back in, 1 at a time.
Good to know as I know I’m going to bust mine someday lol I was praying not having to drop the cradle or take knuckles apart to do it. GREAT tips!!

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States